best way to wing it on temps in a bathroom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyinsonoma

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to brew a large batch and have uncontrolled temps for fermenting but still have them in the range that i need. It looks like the temps in my house are high of 72 and a low of 62.

I want to make a kolsch and maybe more of some other things for a wedding that is in about 4 weeks, on june 4.

Is there a chance of making this deadline if I do it on wednesday and just go for it on fermenting it in the house?

Will it stink up the house or will the smell probably stay contained?

I haven't picked out a solid recipe yet but this one is one that is looking likely.

I think it's great that you'd like to brew for a wedding but I believe you'll have a challenge meeting your deadline. If you're planning to bottle the beer the general guidelines are a minimum of three weeks for bottle conditioning to achieve proper carbonation and flavor profiles. Most people generally give an ale about three weeks for primary fermentation and the recipe you're looking at would probably taste best if you did the lagering they recommend...which sounds like it will be a challenge for your schedule and temperature control capabilities.

Although it's a great thought, my recommendation would be to pass on trying to make the wedding and potentially giving everyone a beer that isn't that great because it was rushed. Perhaps you could make it and give it for them after-honeymoon party?

Good Luck!

I'm currently fermenting a Wyeast 2565 blonde. I am using a set of these on the side of my primary wrapped with reflectix insulation:

http://store.coolvest.com/c-4-spare-cooling-packs.aspx
http://www.coolvest.com/RPCM_Cooling_Vest/Default.aspx

Maintains 59* especially well with blocks of ice right next to it. I currently have it stored in a refrigerator that is not plugged in.

The beer only needs 3-5 days for primary fermentation, and another 4-6 for secondary. Bottled immediately, you should be ready in time if brewing Wednesday. Will be a tad light on carb if you get it in the fridge 3 days before the event, but no biggie.

As for maintaining 60 degrees in your bathroom, start making blocks of ice in your freezer now, and be ready to have new blocks at the ready. I use old juice bottles and milk jugs, so when the ice melts it doesn't make a mess. Use a fan to circulate the air. Have a thermometer on your beer and another for ambient and try to control it as best you can. Cover everything with a couple old blankets if you have to, make sure there is airflow.

I might just make it, if it is in time, great, if not then we can always use it later, I have a pale ale that is going to be coming out of primary anytime now, I just need some time to measure the gravity and make sure its ready. Its going to be 2 weeks saturday in a refrigerated environment. I also have a second keg for that.

Back