Best way to use Juniper Berries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temptnmonkey

Reaction score
I made a Juniper Pale Ale yesterday and added an oz of Juniper Berries for the last 5 mins. Added them whole. After tasting the hydrometer sample, the Juniper taste seemed underwhelming, borderline non present.

Is it typical to add whole Juniper berries instead of crushed?

I have another 1oz that I can use to "dry hop" with to give off a little extra punch.

Anyway, I'm just curious what you guys normally do with Juniper berries.

I have heard of using them crushed, but I have no personal experience. Seems like a juniper tea might work. Or dry hopping with crushed berries in a tea ball or grain bag.

When making my jumper ale I whack them with something heavy to bruise the hell out of them in the bag they came in, or at least mash them with my hands through the bag a little. Adding them whole and at 5 minutes is probably why they are so faint. I've never dry hopped with them so i can't help you there. Usually I start adding them at about 20 minutes to go in the boil.

-cheers

I've never made it past this guy when it comes to using juniper in my brews.

15753328131691064890.jpeg___1_500_1_500_cb94de6a_.png

Although I'm a big fan of gin. Maybe I'll try this for my next brew.

Back