Best Way to Remove Excessive Yeast Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellinmi88

Reaction score
I made a couple of 1 Gal test batches of a Saison and a Belgian Tripel. My LHBS guy told me it would be okay to pitch the full Wyeast 3724 Balgian Saison tube and the full Belgian Strong Ale Wyeast 1388 smash pack.

Atfer about 3 weeks in the primary and now 1.5 weeks cold crashing in the secondary the Belgian Tripel is nice and clear (for a Belgian Tripel) but has a very strong yeast flavor and oder. The Saison is also very yeast smelling and very cloudy.

I am wondering what is the best way to remove some of this yeast taste? I am not so concerned about the clarity of the Saison but the yeast taste needs to go.

I plan on using 22 oz bottles. Will filtering to .5 um remove all the yeast so as to prevent proper conditioning?

What is the best way to get rid of all this yeast????

brews.jpg

I'm pretty sure those yeastie flavors your detecting are soluble compounds, so I filter won't help you there.

How much did you actually pitch per 1 gallon jug? An entire pack?!

Yes per the wisdom of my local home brew store professional.

Who wants you to spend, spend, spend.
Pitching the entire amount don't really hurt the brew, it only decreases the amount of growth it has to do to start fermentation, which in some cases is needed to get the right amount of flavour in a style of beer.
The yeast itself will eventually drop out and after conditioning won't matter.

bellinmi88 said:
So go ahead and bottle it or leave it in the secondary...

Yeah that'll be fine.

Just know that extreme over-pitching causes the yeast to reproduce in a not-normal fashion and I'm pretty sure certain biochemical pathways are skipped.

In the future use mr malty to calculate your pitching rate. http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Back