Best Way To Keep Away Fruit Flies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
I see one or two occasionally flying around my fermentors/kegerator. I have sticky traps up too, but they don't work too well. Any suggestions?

Apple cider vinegar in a bowl with a drop of dish soap. Cover it with plastic wrap and poke a few holes in the wrap. You should trap a majority of them. Change it out when needed.

If that doesn't help, then yeah, something is rotting or unclean in the area.

To avoid them, try to clean up as well as possible.

To get rid of them once you've got them, grab a couple of these and put them wherever you see the flies. They'll be gone in a week. Not that I speak from experience or anything...

You have to make opportunty out of a bad situation.
Well, you don't HAVe to...but you should.

Get a good quality pellet gun / scope - and do your marksman training...

+1 on the vinegar. Cleanliness may be next to Godliness but it isn't a guarantee against fruit flies. If you have fruit, you can get fruit flies (hence the name) even if you keep the area spotless. We always have a bowl of fruit in our kitchen (where I brew and bottle). They especially seem to like bananas. For me, they are mainly an issue during bottling. I actually had a couple of aceto infections before I realized that fruit flies carry acetobacter.

Now I use a couple of small bowls of cider away from my bottling area and keep a cover on my bottling bucket. I always keep my BK covered during cooling and transfer.

Get revenge. Use the vinegar method. In fact, get a gallon of apple cider, then let a few fruit flies land in it. Make vinegar from them acetobacter the flies natrually carry.
Yes.
Kill the flies with the flies.

Apple cider vinegar is what I use. Works wonders. If you want complicated take a plastic water bottle and cut the top off. Stick the top upside down in the bottom and fill with the vinegar soap mix until the level is just below the opening.

Back