Best way to de-carb a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterpants

Reaction score
Got a little overzealous trying to push an extra volume (or two) into a saison. It's carbed to all hell now. Awesome head but there's way too much of it and a TON of co2 gets dropped immediately when a pour starts, even in a clean cold glass.

I'd like to somehow bleed off the co2, while keeping out the oxygen and with the keg still inside my fridge.

First i disconnected the gas. Then bled off the excess. For the last 2 days with the gas disconnected I just open the fridge and pull up on the corny safety release.... usually a little puff comes out. Is this the correct way to degas/carb an overcarbed brew? How long should it take?

ForumRunner_20130627_021506.jpg

Got a little overzealous trying to push an extra volume (or two) into a saison. It's carbed to all hell now. Awesome head but there's way too much of it and a TON of co2 gets dropped immediately when a pour starts, even in a clean cold glass.

I'd like to somehow bleed off the co2, while keeping out the oxygen and with the keg still inside my fridge.

First i disconnected the gas. Then bled off the excess. For the last 2 days with the gas disconnected I just open the fridge and pull up on the corny safety release.... usually a little puff comes out. Is this the correct way to degas/carb an overcarbed brew? How long should it take?

Yes, and it depends, took me a week for my stout

I did this:

Start at about the 7 minute mark. Basically you hook up the gas line to the beer out post. Let it bubble, bleed it off, repeat. The video does a much better job at explaining it than that, but that is the gist of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks fellas, my no frills method worked pretty good... took a week tho

I did this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk79UYGmAk8

Start at about the 7 minute mark. Basically you hook up the gas line to the beer out post. Let it bubble, bleed it off, repeat. The video does a much better job at explaining it than that, but that is the gist of it.

I used this method once also. It worked great.

I'm very confused by this. I can't see how this should work. You have an overcarbed keg, you add more CO2 (bubbling up from the bottom is how some people force carb a keg), and that REDUCES the CO2?

In fact, if anything, bubbling that CO2 up from the bottom would seem to be more likely to add to the carbonation, not reduce it.

What am I missing here? (Other than putting a gas QD on a liquid post)?

Back