best way to cool down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pujiman

Reaction score
I live in Florida and it's summer time now and gets hot, i can't have my AC blasting all the time for my ferments. What's the best way to go to keep them in the right temp range

Get a fridge (as cheap as you can get) and attach a temperature controller (STC-1000 is what I use). This then turns the fridge on when it gets to hot to bring the temperature down.

You can also add a heating source to it so in Winter it will raise the temperature to where you need it.

I use to use a plastic tote and drop my fermenting bucket in there... Add water in the tote and put a shirt over the bucket to "wic" up the water up the sides of the fermenting bucket. Then add a small fan blowing on the shirt to make a swamp cooler. You can then freeze several 2 liter bottles of water and add one to the tote and swap those out if you need even more cooling power. It will drop your ferment temps 10 deg or more..

Cheers
Jay

Both the above are good ideas. You only have to keep the fermenting beer cool (low to mid 60's) for a few day until the yeast have eaten the easy sugars because this period is where the off flavors are produced. I give mine 5 to 7 days at 62 to 64 and then 72 for the next 2 weeks. I could probably do the cool part for fewer days but the room stays that temp for weeks so I just leave the beer there until I feel like moving it.

Get a fridge (as cheap as you can get) and attach a temperature controller (STC-1000 is what I use). This then turns the fridge on when it gets to hot to bring the temperature down.

You can also add a heating source to it so in Winter it will raise the temperature to where you need it.

+1. I went this route from the start and have never regretted it. It will make your brew life (and your beers) much better.

http://www.amazon.com/All-purpose-Temperature-Controller-STC-1000-Cooling/dp/B0084Y8HJK/ref=pd_sim_indust_2

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

Last edited by a moderator:
I use to use a plastic tote and drop my fermenting bucket in there... Add water in the tote and put a shirt over the bucket to "wic" up the water up the sides of the fermenting bucket. Then add a small fan blowing on the shirt to make a swamp cooler. You can then freeze several 2 liter bottles of water and add one to the tote and swap those out if you need even more cooling power. It will drop your ferment temps 10 deg or more..

Cheers
Jay

This is what works for me. I'm in Daytona.

I went to Lowes and bought a huge plastic outdoor planter, maybe $25. I fill it half way with water, drop in a few frozen bottles of water, and drop the fermenter in. It's working fine so far.

Also, as RM-MN noted, it's only a big deal for the initial fermentation period.

It should be said that I focus on Saisons that can tolerate elevated temps, and that I'm just a new guy at this.

Thanks everyone all great ideas I'm not sure which route to go. Seems like the fridge will be best for the long run

Just saw this thread and brewed my 1st batch yesterday and just put my bucket in the tote with water.

If my beer started fermenting at 80+ degrees for about 16 hours, is it ruined?

Also there is brown liquid in the airlock, should I beer concerned?

TIA

may not be ruined but that is a little hot to be fermenting. It may just have some off flavors but it may also turn out fine, never know till you drink it!

Just saw this thread and brewed my 1st batch yesterday and just put my bucket in the tote with water.

If my beer started fermenting at 80+ degrees for about 16 hours, is it ruined?

Also there is brown liquid in the airlock, should I beer concerned?

TIA

You may have to bottle condition it for an extended period of time to get rid of certain off-flavors caused by the yeast being under stress.

If it got hot enough (80+ is pretty hot) during active ferment, you may get a good amount of fusel alcohols. Those, unfortunately, don't condition out.

When I was setting up my fridge I was extremely lucky. I got the fridge for free as the parents decided they wanted a smaller more efficient fridge seeing as it was only them using it now.

I then purchased the STC-1000 on ebay for $15 which was easg to install after I butchered a couple of old extension cords (so I didnt have to cut the fridge one).

After that I was able to easily bring the temperatures down. I also plugged in my heatbelt into the heating side of it and I have the heatbelt running around some terracotta pots underneath the fermenter which brings the temperature up if needed.

Back