best way to clean cornies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who's "conrey"?

PBW or Oxyclean in a hot soak. Gator Grit to polish the outsides followed by Bar Keeper Friend as a final touch.

I fill with 2.5 gal hot water and oxiclean. let sit 5 minutes then remove the post and run a brush thru the tubes. then I take my big keg brush and give the inside a quick scrub. Dump water and oxiclean into next keg, clean lid and popets. Rinse keg and then the small parts, put back together. Takes about 10 minutes per keg.

If it's for a first time use. Completely dismantle the cornie and inspect all the Orings. If they look bad or have an odor throw them away and replace them.
Also remove the poppets from the gas and beverage posts and inspect and smell them. If they look or smell replace them as well.

I use a bottle brush and Oxy-Clean Free ( it has no added scent ) or Bar Keeper's Friend to clean the inside. For the beverage tube I use a piece of insulated copper wire attached to 2 or 3 pipe cleaners that have been soaked in Oxy-Clean Free I also use pipe cleaners for the gas tube, both posts and the poppets.

After a through cleaning sanitize with Iodophor, Star-San or whatever.

After that initial cleaning for the next 3 times I just rinse it with water then add about a quart of sanitation solution, shake the daylights out of it turn it upside down and let it sit for 5 minutes or so, shake it again let it sit for another 5 minutes right side up then pressurize the cornie and with 2 beverage to beverage connectors move the sanitation solution to the next cornie if I'm doing multiple cornies.

After the third time or if the cornie has been sitting around unused for a while I'll dismantle and do a through cleaning again.

For cleaning the outside Bar Keeper's Friend or Oxy-Clean and Scotch Brite Pads Green for initial cleaning blue for polishing.

:mug:

Can anyone tell me where to purchase a propane cooker for my ten gal. brew pot?

Jeb said:
Can anyone tell me where to purchase a propane cooker for my ten gal. brew pot?

hijacklive.jpg

Hi,

I just bought 2 used kegs. They still had cola in them.

I have read and see here that many people use OxyClean. Doesn't it have chlorine in it and therefore you shouldn't use it on stainless steel or aluminum??

What about using B-Brite as a sanitizer?? It also has chlorine...

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

I have read and see here that many people use OxyClean. Doesn't it have chlorine in it and therefore you shouldn't use it on stainless steel or aluminum??

Thanks

Use Oxiclean "free" to clean and Starsan to sanitize and you can't go wrong.

Hi,

Thanks
I would replace all the O-rings as they tend to retain the odor of soda.

Latest posts

Back