Best type bottles to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
While at the HBS Friday, I was gifted with about 50-60 bottles. Variable sizes, colors etc. Some use a cork, some a screw type lid. Since I'm planning on attempting a EdWort's Apfelwein recipe in the future I thought I would take these home.

IMG_2642-L.jpg

I've not yet purchased any wine specific equipment such as corker, de-gasser etc. I was wondering about the tops though. Can you cork a bottled designed for threads, or can you only use a screw cap etc?

If you need caps, can those be purchased?

Trying to decide which ones - if any, to keep or throw away etc.

Thanks,

I should have read before I posted. It looks like the only thing I've done was save someone else a trip to the dumpster.

I guess the garbage man on my street will label me as a wino on pickup day.

bigken462 said:
While at the HBS Friday, I was gifted with about 50-60 bottles. Variable sizes, colors etc. Some use a cork, some a screw type lid. Since I'm planning on attempting a EdWort's Apfelwein recipe in the future I thought I would take these home.

I've not yet purchased any wine specific equipment such as corker, de-gasser etc. I was wondering about the tops though. Can you cork a bottled designed for threads, or can you only use a screw cap etc?

If you need caps, can those be purchased?

Trying to decide which ones - if any, to keep or throw away etc.

Thanks,

Save all cork type bottles. Save screw cap bottles only if they have the screw cap. ( many strongly disagree, buy I reuse these with no problems. Test on side for drips. Toss if any leakage. Drink first or give as guifts. ). Unless you plan on bubbely wine toss the champane bottles.
Coler, size and shape do not matter.

Save all corkable bottles. I love champagne bottles because they can take both cork and a bottle cap. I don't use any screwtops for fear I might shatter the tops during the corking process.

Latest posts

Back