Best thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osoling

Reaction score
So, I'm sure my thermometer sucks. Which do you guys use and why? Links, especially to amazon are greatly appreciated, but i look forward to just learning from the experts.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Be careful with the "good enough" above, I'm not sure that's a waterproof probe.

For the price, this is excellent:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CDQ28IG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You would think all probe thermometers have waterproof probes, but most don't. The makers expect you'll be placing them in food, not submerging the cord, so they don't bother to plug up the top to make it waterproof, and very soon it gives useless readings. I destroyed like three thermometers in the mash before I figured that out.

You could probably use a $15 model and daub it with silicone, but I am very happy with the Extech TM25, for under $23.

Incidentally I think I'd rather have a cheap unit with a cord I can put in the middle or bottom of my mash than a thermapen that only measures 3 or 4" deep, even if it has better +/-.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful with the "good enough" above, I'm not sure that's a waterproof probe.

For the price, this is excellent:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CDQ28IG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You would think all probe thermometers have waterproof probes, but most don't. The makers expect you'll be placing them in food, not submerging the cord, so they don't bother to plug up the top to make it waterproof, and very soon it gives useless readings. I destroyed like three thermometers in the mash before I figured that out.

You could probably use a $15 model and daub it with silicone, but I am very happy with the Extech TM25, for under $23.

Been brewing with it for 6 months now, submerged for up to 90 minutes of boiling. No issues. I calibrated it to my friends thermapen. For the $, best IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it actually calibrate or do you mean you make a mental adjustment? Just curious, it's hard to find a cheap one you can actually calibrate.

Nice to know there's another cheap one with a submersible probe, half the time they don't say it's submersible because it really isn't, half the time they don't say so because they don't realize it's a selling point.

Still, I do like that the Extech's unit itself can go in water (though I wouldn't like, boil it, obviously). I destroyed a thermometer by dropping the unit in the mash once, too.

Thermapen...

After I bought one I wondered why I waited so long. Super fast and accurate. I cook a lot also and use it all the time.

How do all of you measure the inside of the mash, as opposed to the top of it? I wouldn't take a thermapen if it were free, if it meant I had to give up a corded probe thermometer for mashing.

How do all of you measure the inside of the mash, as opposed to the top of it? I wouldn't take a thermapen if it were free, if it meant I had to give up a corded probe thermometer for mashing.

Um...you stir it so it is all the same temp. Not that hard

Well that's good, I suppose you somehow know when you've stirred it enough so it's the same temp?

I mean the amount this matters depends on a number of things, namely the shape of your mash tun and whether you fire it or not, but if you're going to spend $100 on a thermometer to take a couple of seconds off the read time and 0.5F off the +/- it seems like you're doing a lot of guessing about how consistent the temperature is across the mash itself.

I won't knock it, you can make good beer lots of different ways, and people are defensive of their purchasing choices. But I would not recommend any thermometer without a corded probe, myself.

You should be stirring your mash thoroughly to avoid hot spots no matter what equipment you are using...so the length of the probe shouldn't matter. I bought mine after extensive research after testing my previous thermometer which turned out to be off by a few degrees, no doubt one of the best purchases I have made.

I've been using ThermoWorks Thermopop (the cheapy splash proof thermometer). It's super nice for the 25 dollar price, it's not quite as quick (takes 3 or 4 seconds to get a good reading) but it's splashproof and it's backed up by ThermoWorks AWESOME customer service. My first one had some dust in the display, Thermoworks promptly shipped me a new one, no questions asked.

If you're looking for a thermometer, you can't go wrong with anything from Thermoworks.

stirring mash . I just stir the crap out of it right from the start . I drop my probe in and read . Let it sit in there and look once in a while . I usually open and stir two times more maybe during the mash . But not always . It does bring out more of the goodies when you stir it . So if I want to keep the grain because I want to use it for say dog biscuits then I do not stir much because I want flavor left in it .
Probe or pen is not going to make much difference in the tun . It is going to stay plenty hot in there and heat rises so the top will be just as hot as the middle if you leave the lid on .

Thermopen is the real deal especially if you need a regular kitchen use thermometer. They are really different than even Thermoworks' other thermometers. It says that they read at 2-3 seconds (vs 5-6 for the others) but I find it's almost instantaneous.

Thermapen is the real deal. Most folks in the know have one...or more. I use it for testing about everything. Keep in your pocket when grilling steaks.

Another useful tool is Thermowork's Chefs Alarm with an optional waterproof probe. I suspend this in my mash kettle to watch temps, then the alarm buzzes to tell me it is time to sparge...or whatever you need it to time for you.

Thermoworks is the best source for all temp monitoring equipment.

Back