Best Still Dragon Controller Hacks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biertourist

Reaction score
Anyone come across some good Still Dragon electric element controller modifications?

-Externally mounted heatsinks, power switches, etc...

I'm looking to move my boil kettle to dial-control with a second external box that's separate from my main control panel (PID controller dedicated to HLT); the cost of the still dragon controller can't be beat but it's even missing a power switch...

I'm thinking about a modified still dragon kit for my boil controller but I definitely want a main power switch, I think I'd like to mount the heatsink externally to the box to help with heat dissipation and to make more room available in the interior of the box. Contactors are huge so a physical switch would be better but I need a 15a switch.

"power on" indicator light, is a good feature.
Honestly I'm not sure whether the still dragon SSR is actually an SSR and I'd probably like to swap out the rheostat for something like this: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=444 -But I'm not sure that the StillDragon "SSR" would support it, nor whether that huge Auber controller would even fit in the box.

Adam

I use the still dragon dial in a secondary box to control my boil. I have two elements in each of my HLT and BK. The primary switches for these are in one panel with four switches. One of the BK lines running to the elements is interrupted with the still dragon dial box. I need 100% of two elements running to achieve boil but only about 30-40% of one of the elements to maintain a great boil without boiling over. This setup works very well for me.

Back