Best "standard" base malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmcclure

Reaction score
I'm going to go buy my first bulk bag of grain tonight and I'm torn between Maris Otter and regular old American 2 row. I've liked all the beers I've made with Maris but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money. Whattya think?

Well, both are pretty versatile. I like ESBs, Browns, Stouts for fall and winter... so MO works well. Summer, maybe buy American. Just a thought :p

Oh, and what's the price difference in MN? At my LHBS in GR a 50lb bag of American 2-row is $46 where a 55lb bag of MO is $56. Not a huge price difference for the extra 5lbs of grain.

Well, both are pretty versatile. I like ESBs, Browns, Stouts for fall and winter... so MO works well. Summer, maybe buy American. Just a thought :p

Oh, and what's the price difference in MN? At my LHBS in GR a 50lb bag of American 2-row is $46 where a 55lb bag of MO is $56. Not a huge price difference for the extra 5lbs of grain.

Rahr is 33, Briess is 49, and Maris is $62 for 55lbs. Not huge differences. I like the idea of a grain for every season!

I really enjoy what MO brings to my brews, when I use it. I also use Baird's UK 2 row malt (Pale Ale). Those are the only base malts I use. I typically use MO in recipes where it has at least a chance to show through. Otherwise I use the Pale Ale malt.

I don't let the sack (or even per pound) cost dictate which malt I'll buy. It's more about what I get from the grain in the finished brew.

I'm doing a basemalt experiment right now. Did a few one gallon batches with the same yeast and hops but different malts. I wrote a bit about it in my blog. I did MO, Rahr 2-Row Pale, Vienna and Munich and might add Golden Promise and something else before I'm done

I'm doing a basemalt experiment right now. Did a few one gallon batches with the same yeast and hops but different malts. I wrote a bit about it in my blog. I did MO, Rahr 2-Row Pale, Vienna and Munich and might add Golden Promise and something else before I'm done

I think they calm that SMaSH brewing. That's what I'm gonna do as soon as my "to brew" list is empty. Of course my to brew list has never been empty...

Just as quick math breakdown. 50 lbs is in the 5 beer neighborhood with 48 brews per batch. So a $10 difference over 5x48=240 beer is about 4 cents per beer.

The cost difference is pretty much nothing, so buy what you prefer.

I'm going to go buy my first bulk bag of grain tonight and I'm torn between Maris Otter and regular old American 2 row. I've liked all the beers I've made with Maris but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money. Whattya think?

Really depends on YOUR palate and the desired end result! Oh, and don't forget about the Canadian malting 2-row.

Take into consideration what style you are brewing as well. I use M.O. as atleast a portion of my base malt in most American and English styles but also like have pils on hand for Belgian and German beers. Variety is the spice of life!!

I use Rahr two-row for many of my American style beers (IPA, amber, cream ale, etc), and maris otter for English style beers, and beers that can use more character to them.

So, if you ask me, you need BOTH! :D

I use Rahr two-row for many of my American style beers (IPA, amber, cream ale, etc), and maris otter for English style beers, and beers that can use more character to them.

So, if you ask me, you need BOTH! :D

Who am I to argue with Yooper? Right now all grains are 10% off at Midwest so I'm going back tomorrow for my 50lbs of Rahr in addition to my 55lbs of Maris Otter!

Back