Best Recipe Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Im going to order my first equiptment kit and recipe kit from midwest, and i was wondering if anyone knows which recipe's are the best and if anyone has every used one from there. Also if you have any sites that sell good recipe kits at a good price

thanks

My first brew was a Midwest Irish Red Ale. It was fantastic and the batch didn't last long. It went especially went fast during March Madness. Other places to try are Austin Homebrew and Northern Brewer (I haven't tried Northern, but many people on here really like them.)

Very new here, very new to brewing, but I ordered my first (and only so far) recipe kit from Austin, and I was impressed with the quality of everything.

i live in the NY area, i just like midwest supplies package and prices, what about websites that are in the ny area that have good kits for better shipping prices

Yeah I'm also in NY, and after ordering and brewing that kit, I found out about a local homebrew store, which made me very happy. The local store is working on creating an order form system. Also, the shipping from Austin is 7 dollars flat rate, well worth it when I ordered a bunch of stuff. Just don't make the mistake I did and expect liquid yeast to survive the journey.

I have made several of the Brewers Best kits and have been very pleased with all of them. Easy to follow directions and the end results have all been good.

SD

I can't complain about the Brewers best kits...>They have served me well over the 4 or 5 I've done.

Order from Austin and get two or 3 kits....then you really start realizing the benefit of Flat Rate Shipping...and it'll keep you occupied till your first batch is drinkable.

I've done midwest's scottish ale, and honey weizen. Both were quite good, especially the scottish. I also have their pumpkin ale bubbling away now and plan to do their java stout this weekend. I'd recommend Midwest to anyone...

I haven't done one personally, but my friend has done quite a few Brewers Best kits and the beer has turned out very well.

OregonNative has a post in the beginners section where he writes out the instructions to his Brewers Best kit. The instructions were excellent. This is a sign of a good product.

EDIT: I just spoke to my friend and he actually did a Midwest kit once and he was very happy with the results. It is called the copper ale kit. I've never tried it personally, but I trust his judgement. Might be worth getting since you are getting your equipment kit there.

I've done a couple from midwest and my first AHS kit is scheduled to be here on Monday - I really don't think you can go wrong with either Midwest, AHS, Northern or Brewers Best. Plenty of people have had good things to say about all of them.

Which sites will tell you exactly whats in the kit? I know that Austin and Midwest will tell you on their sites what specialty grains and extracts are in it. The Austin kit didn't say exactly how much of each on their site, but the instructions listed the amounts, so it would be possible to make it with store bought ingredients. I would hate to get a kit and have it come with a bag of grains and not say whats in it or in what amount.

I am also wondering which of the "Big 4" have the best mashing instructions included in the all-grain kits. Is it reasonable to expect a kit to give you step by step mashing instructions (strike water temp, step-mashing temps and quantities, etc...)

Which sites will tell you exactly whats in the kit? I know that Austin and Midwest will tell you on their sites what specialty grains and extracts are in it. The Austin kit didn't say exactly how much of each on their site, but the instructions listed the amounts, so it would be possible to make it with store bought ingredients. I would hate to get a kit and have it come with a bag of grains and not say whats in it or in what amount.

All the kits I've used list their ingredients on the instruction sheet that come with the kit, so it would be possible to replicate the recipe without purchasing the kit again. But I've only used kits from Austin Homebrew, MoreBeer, and Seven Bridges, so I can't speak to kits from other providers.

I am also wondering which of the "Big 4" have the best mashing instructions included in the all-grain kits. Is it reasonable to expect a kit to give you step by step mashing instructions (strike water temp, step-mashing temps and quantities, etc...)

I've only used 1 AG kit (from Seven Bridges) and it came with complete mashing/sparging instructions. I think it also came with a short booklet on partial mash and AG brewing in general.

Back