Best place to purchase ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reggiegentry123

Reaction score
What's the best and most reasonably priced placed to purchase grains, hops, yeast, etc.? I've been using northern Brewer for my last few batches and have no complaints to speak of, but was just wondering what other options are out there I'm not aware of.

For equipment? probably Northern brewer due to their flat rate shipping (exlucing stuff like 55lb bags)

For hops? I mostly switched to farmhouse brewing supply for <1lb amounts and yakima valley if Im doing a bunch of 1lb+. Farmhouse's price per oz is literally half sites like northern brewer

For bulk grains? I'd try to get friendly with your local brewery. I get all my base grains by the sack at wholesale prices from them. Helps if you regularly bring them homebrew to try and schmooze with them

Your local homebrew shop, I compared prices and my local shop is competitive with online pricing. But I save on freight, I have someone to talk to, and go over my recipe's. Also I can get last minute items.
Last but not least, you are helping to keep local's in business.

Grains: homebrewsupply, because I can't do 55lb bulk bags and they have that beautiful $7.99 flat rate shipping

Hops: farmhouse supply for bulk, but I really like nikobrew because I make small batches and don't need bulk hops

Yeast: lhbs is always better unless you're just tacking it on to a grain order or the likes

That's my usual routine. Speaking of, I need to order all of these things asap!

Your local homebrew shop, I compared prices and my local shop is competitive with online pricing. But I save on freight, I have someone to talk to, and go over my recipe's. Also I can get last minute items.
Last but not least, you are helping to keep local's in business.

You must have a real good HB shop. The only thing my LHBS is cheapest for is bulk bottle caps. And it's a 25 mile round trip to get anything. I now buy everything on-line, but it depends on what I am after as to where I go.

Different retailers have different things they seem to run cheaper than other places. Depending on what you need, try several on-line stores to see where is the cheapest. And don't just stick to the places that have flat-rate shipping, as often, they have higher prices for many things. Places I have used:

Rite Brew
Northern Brewer
MoreBeer
Rebel Brewer
Farmhouse Supplies
Niko Brew
Label Peelers
Direct Hops
Grain to Glass

My local home brew store is Homebrew4less.com. As down home as it gets, a one man operation, prices and selection are good for grains, I buy at the store but he does a lot of on line sales.

Been using Rite Brew alot. Good prices good shipping, and I'm close enough to use spee-dee delivery service. Over $75.00 get $5 off shipping. Over 16# of extract and grain,yeast etc. was $2.95 shipping after discount. Ordered on Monday Got on Wednesday. Guaranteed liquid yeast viability!!

Another vote for RiteBrew. Almost always cheaper than Northern Brewer, even without flat rate shipping. And they fill orders fast. If I order in the morning, it almost always ships out that afternoon.

I buy most grains from Homebrewsupply.com they package grains in vac sealed bags, flat rate shipping and orders placed by 1 are shipped same day. Translates to two day shipping for me.
Hops I buy from Farmhouse brewing and Yakima Valley.

You must have a real good HB shop. The only thing my LHBS is cheapest for is bulk bottle caps. And it's a 25 mile round trip to get anything. I now buy everything on-line, but it depends on what I am after as to where I go.

Different retailers have different things they seem to run cheaper than other places. Depending on what you need, try several on-line stores to see where is the cheapest. And don't just stick to the places that have flat-rate shipping, as often, they have higher prices for many things. Places I have used:

Rite Brew
Northern Brewer
MoreBeer
Rebel Brewer
Farmhouse Supplies
Niko Brew
Label Peelers
Direct Hops
Grain to Glass

Yeah, the shop I go to is not the closest shop at 20 miles away. But they are definitely the best. They also have a taproom with about 30 taps all brewed at the store. The other shop is a little more expensive and way smaller. But even their prices are not that much more than online stores.
Now I still buy online whenever I see a good deal on hops by the pound. Or if I need some fittings and such.

Back