Best option for fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reggiegentry123

Reaction score
So I'm not sure the best location to use for fermenting my beer. If I keep in in my basement, the temp is gonna keep it in the low 60's, but if I move upstairs into my house the temp jumps up to about 76-78 when cementing(using wyeast American ale yeast).

I would think the lower temp may be better, because I've read that higher temps will cause off flavors. Is this line of thinking correct? This is for a double IPA btw.

For this yeast, I'd recommend the colder option. It may be a little low, but that's better than fermenting at saison temps!

and maybe wrap it in a blanket or something to help keep it warm. Regardless, low 60s will be fine. Good luck.

Ok, it hit about 75-76 for probably close to 8 hours before I realized how high the temp was, is that long enough at a high enough temp to do any serious damage? This would have been maybe a little over 48 hours into fermentation

So I'm not sure the best location to use for fermenting my beer. If I keep in in my basement, the temp is gonna keep it in the low 60's, but if I move upstairs into my house the temp jumps up to about 76-78 when cementing(using wyeast American ale yeast).

I would think the lower temp may be better, because I've read that higher temps will cause off flavors. Is this line of thinking correct? This is for a double IPA btw.

You do not want your ale yeast pushing close to 80. Absolutely want to err on the "cold" side - low 60's is ok for an ale yeast. If it dips into the 50's, follow BuddhaNole's great suggestion with the blanket... or, if it gets even lower, grab a cheap electric blanket from your local drugstore and place your carboy on it.

I vote basement as well. It is likely more consistent of a temp down there than upstairs. 60F to 72F is 1056's operating range. You'll be in perfect shape.

Eh, you may have caused some esters or some fusel alcohol. All you can do is cool it down a touch and maybe age it if it's too "hot." Don't worry too much

OP-
higher temps will cause off flavors. As someone already mentioned Saisson. Think Belgians, these are typically brewed warmer than other beers.

Put it in the basement. You can put a blanket on it to help hold in the fermentation heat. You can also if you have a basement closet, or small room, keep an incandescent light bulb on with it (if you can find one). these can add about 3 to 5 degress of heat to a room, bringing your 62 up to a possible 67!. Obviously room size matters and how close the light (which is mostly heat) is to the fermenter.

Basement then look into the inkbird temp control setup and a heater.

It's funny you mention this- I just added both to my Amazon cart for next brew so I don't have to worry about this in the future. Only about $60 and I'll have consistent temps.

I agree that for future beers with that yeast (and most non Belgians),basement temps would be better.

Hopefully others will chime in but I'm not sure you should move your current batch down there.I've heard that decreasing temps after fermentation has started can shock yeast and stall it. I don't know if A 15 degree drop would do it... I've Never had a temp drop that big.

Most important time for off flavors is the first 48 hrs so you'll likely have some esters, but may not be that big of a deal.

Back