Best Next Step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oyarsa

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a tamarind cider again. This time I'm actually making a cider rather than a tamarind beverage.

So far the apple juice has been fermenting two weeks and appears to be done (though I haven't taken a hydrometer reading). I'm going for a sweet cider using a keg and will be using a tamarind concentrate.

How do you recommend I proceed? Stop the fermentation and rack to another bucket with the tamarind concentrate? Rack to another bucket with the concentrate and allow it to ferment, then back sweeten with apple juice concentrate? Rack it to a keg with the concentrate in there? The concentrate is thick/syrupy, so should I try to stir it in, or just let it sit on the bottom?

First, I don't know that you can actually "stop" the fermentation. Slow down, sure, but actually stop, no.

As for which to use for backsweetening, tamarind or apple, that depends on which taste you want to dominate. I don't use kegs, but I would think you could ferment to dry, stabilize, then backsweeten in the keg.

I misspoke, I think. Stabilize, not stop is the correct term, I believe.

I was not trying to correct you, just wanted to make sure you understood that you cannot stop an active ferment. Too many people think that you can just pop in some sorbate and it will just stop.

Back