Best News Headlines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "Birds Aren't Real" Conspiracy Theory.

I have never heard of this. Started in 1976. From the movement's website: " the government has since replaced every living bird with robotic replicas "

WTactualF?

It's become a running gag amongst a group of friends of mine on a Discord.

The Bird Menace

But, unless you are a first nations person from Alaska, isn't it illegal for people in boats registered in the U.S. to hunt whales?

That's a real bummer. She was hilarious.

I think she won a fan contest to host Saturday night live, and was talking about how people get together with friends. She said that she needed a oweji board to communicate with her friends.

1642100648331.png

Followed shortly by:

1642100669181.png

The only part that’s not fully believable is the mom saying no “immediate”. I’m sure the answer was no, eventually, but after grocery shopping with two kids, you can’t tell me there wasn’t a pause……

Texas woman arrested for allegedly trying to ‘purchase’ child at Walmart for $500,000 ‘because she wanted him’

https://news.yahoo.com/texas-woman-arrested-allegedly-trying-162532552.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow! How that one ever got past the watchful eye of a desk editor (or in today's world, a spell checker) is a mystery. From the byline it appears that the story was written by a "stringer" at a local small town paper whose story got picked up by USA Today. The headline with the misspelling likely was not the mistake of the story writer or USA Today but rather the page editor in the 'slot' for the local rag Wooster Daily Record.

In the old days, at national and large market newspapers, the journalists would submit their stories to the editors desk (several editors sitting around the periphery of a curved table) who would proofread the story for grammar and spelling and then hand it to another more senior editor sitting on the inside of the curved table (i.e., the 'slot' man) who would double check their work, write a headline that would fit into the allowable column space and send it to the typesetter. The lowly typesetter was the last link in the chain and would be severely chastised if he ever questioned what the slot man sent him, unless, of course, he saved everyone from an embarrassing mistake.

Some mistakes are humorous like this one, though some could be embarrassing, slanderous or libelous and ruin the paper's reputation as well as bottom line. Sadly those days are long gone. Word processors and photo/electronic typesetting have taken much of the excitement and romance out of the newsroom. Television 'news' and video tape have supplanted the art and craft of photojournalism. In another time and another place in my life I did some time in the barrel writing, editing and taking pictures for small daily newspapers. It's a bygone era.

Back