Best NEIPA hop combos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had a Grimm Artisanal Ale Hyperfocus beer featuring Eukanot a few months ago. From what I understand about the hyper focus series is that these are truly single hopped DIPA beers. This beer was a beautiful tropical explosion - papaya/passionfruit/etc! But upon looking online, it seems that sensory descriptions for this hop all all over the place. Considering a Columbus/Citra/Eukanot hop combo with Columbus for bittering and a small late boil addition with the whirlpool and dry hop primarily Citra/Eukanot. Has anyone used Eukanot recently? Would love to hear of any recent experiences with this hop. Eukanot has a high total oil content reported to have 2.5-4.5ml/100g for total oil content so it seems pretty potent.
That series by Grimm is one of the best single hop series out there. The centennial hyper focus was just fantastic. They got this orange marmalade/orange blossom character that I don’t think anyone tasting it blind would have ever guessed centennial. Equilibrium and Grimm used to share a hop contract and we’re getting hops from the same farm. Idk If that’s still the case with the popularity and the second location Eq just opened.

That series by Grimm is one of the best single hop series out there. The centennial hyper focus was just fantastic. They got this orange marmalade/orange blossom character that I don’t think anyone tasting it blind would have ever guessed centennial. Equilibrium and Grimm used to share a hop contract and we’re getting hops from the same farm. Idk If that’s still the case with the popularity and the second location Eq just opened.
Yeah I was thinking that myself. I was blown away by this beer by Grimm. I’ve seen lots of reports of green peppers and less tropical fruitiness by home brewers consistent with what @couchsending had mentioned with ekuanot. It seems the hop varies more dramatically by lot than others.

Yeah I was thinking that myself. I was blown away by this beer by Grimm. I’ve seen lots of reports of green peppers and less tropical fruitiness by home brewers consistent with what @couchsending had mentioned with ekuanot. It seems the hop varies more dramatically by lot than others.
I remember listening to a podcast(forget which brewery) and they commented the cryo Ekuanot was phenomenal. I just did a batch of Azacca, Mosaic, and Simcoe/Simcoe cryo. Probably the best hazy I've done. Huge aroma and hop saturated flavor. I'm a big fan of using cryo on these beers, in both packing more flavor in and losing less beer from the huge hop loads.

I haven’t posted in awhile but thought I would up date on my latest creation.

6lbs two row
6lbs marris otter
1.5 white wheat
1lb Golden makes oats
.65oz CTZ @ 60min
.35oz CTZ @ 20min

3oz Citra WP 30min
3oz Citra WP 20min
Imperial Dryhop 1.5L starter

5oz Citra DH
4oz Idaho-7 DH

1.071- 1.015

First time using Idaho 7 and really blown away how much it punches through the Citra. I get lots of pine citrus/orange with maybe a very hint of mango somewhere back there.I feel like the bitterness is a little on the higher side but leaves me wanting another sip. Very crushable at 7%. Probably my 1st or 2nd best NEIPA!

Attachments

• 8A519B0C-279A-459C-8010-8FAFCE01B32C.jpeg
    8A519B0C-279A-459C-8010-8FAFCE01B32C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 78

6lbs two row
6lbs marris otter
1.5 white wheat
1lb Golden makes oats
.65oz CTZ @ 60min
.35oz CTZ @ 20min

3oz Citra WP 30min
3oz Citra WP 20min

5oz Citra DH
4oz Idaho-7 DH

1.071- 1.015

First time using Idaho 7 and really blown away how much it punches through the Citra. I get lots of pine citrus/orange with maybe a very hint of mango somewhere back there.I feel like the bitterness is a little on the higher side but leaves me wanting another sip. Very crushable at 7%. Probably my 1st or 2nd best NEIPA!

Nice -- Love this hop and it pairs well with Citra. Definitely try it in the Whirlpool as well!

I remember listening to a podcast(forget which brewery) and they commented the cryo Ekuanot was phenomenal. I just did a batch of Azacca, Mosaic, and Simcoe/Simcoe cryo. Probably the best hazy I've done. Huge aroma and hop saturated flavor. I'm a big fan of using cryo on these beers, in both packing more flavor in and losing less beer from the huge hop loads.

That was Noah Bissell on CB&B podcast.

That was Noah Bissell on CB&B podcast.
Could also be CB&B podcast with Hop Butcher for the World where they discuss how Ekuanot cryo usually doesn't have the green pepper flavor, which regular T90 pellets of Ekuanot often have.

6lbs two row
6lbs marris otter
1.5 white wheat
1lb Golden makes oats
.65oz CTZ @ 60min
.35oz CTZ @ 20min

3oz Citra WP 30min
3oz Citra WP 20min

5oz Citra DH
4oz Idaho-7 DH

1.071- 1.015

I really like Idaho 7 and the piney/earthy/black tea thing it imparts. I just tapped one with Azacca, Chinook and Idaho 7(heavy dry hop) and I'm digging it.

I really like Idaho 7 and the piney/earthy/black tea thing it imparts. I just tapped one with Azacca, Chinook and Idaho 7(heavy dry hop) and I'm digging it.

Simcoe FWH. 19.7 IBU
Simcoe :20 boil 13.3 IBU

Idaho 7 :10 boil 6.9 IBU
Lemondrop :10 boil 2.7 IBU

Idaho 7 :05 boil 3.8 IBU
Lemondrop :05 boil 1.4 IBU

Idaho 7 :20 WP 6.3 IBU
Citra :20 WP 5.4 IBU
Lemondrop :20 WP 4.7 IBU

Total IBUs 64.2

Cracked the keg about a week ago after 2 weeks conditioning. Couldn't stand the wait. The initial taste was really nice, aroma powerful and citrusy. After a week and several 2 pint nights, however, the hop and aroma notes have rapidly faded (sigh). This was a "clean out the stockpile" brew. The combo of hops is VERY nice, but I was trying to use up some 4 oz. of Lemondrop that were left over after a few years in the freezer. Simcoe was a probably the best bittering hop for this mix, given the Idaho 7 and Citra, though I imagine CTZ or Nugget would work reasonably well. Next time I'll focus on only fresh ingredients and sub Citra for all the Lemondrop.

It's a very solid beer as is, but just doesn't seem to have 'staying power.'

Brooo Brother

Perhaps you are looking in the wrong place for an explanation of rapid character loss.
What is your process getting beer from fermenter(s) into keg(s) - including if you cold-crash first or not?

Cheers!

Tell you what, I'm just starting to really experiment with hop combo's in this style. My go to has always been Nelson galaxy, mosaic and citra (simcoe in the whirlpool if i want something different).

But there are a couple of breweries here in NZ that are doing absolutely banging Hazies.

Some of the more interesting combo's I've seen in others are:
Jarrylo / Mosaic
Strata / simcoe / centennial
El-dorado / Lemondrop
Galaxy / Motueka
Nelson Sauvin / Rakau (This is a Garage Project / Trillium collab).
Citra / Loral

In my own more recent one I've done the following: now bear with me, as i ususally make my hazies "kitchen sink beers" - i.e. use every last hop you have and throw it in.
most recent with Voss Kveik was:
WP - Amarillo / Azacca / Riwaka / Centennial
DH 1 - Centennial
DH 2 - Centennial
DH 3 - Mandarina Bavaria / Loral
(the idea being to accentuate the citrus nature of Voss Kveik, using bigger citrus hops like centennial & mandarina).

I have some Sorachi Ace, I'm keen to try out in a Hazy too, i use the hop in my Dryhopped Saison, as a small WP addition, so there'll be a little leftover - anyone used it in a hazy?

Perhaps you are looking in the wrong place for an explanation of rapid character loss.
What is your process getting beer from fermenter(s) into keg(s) - including if you cold-crash first or not?

Cheers!

I do practice LoDO techniques cold and hot sides. This batch was done 8 days unpressurized in a conical, temperature controlled low 60s. 5 pts before terminal gravity I soft crashed to 48F to drop the bulk of the yeast, then it was pressure transferred to a keg and spunded to 15 psig. at cellar temp ~65F. At terminal gravity the keg was refrigerated at 38F for 2 weeks.

First pulls were juicy enough, but now the hops are mostly dank. Not a bad thing (dank) but it's mostly just that (not as much citrus). It tastes like a good, solid American IPA, like a single hop Simcoe but 'softer, probably due to the Idaho 7. I like Simcoe and use it frequently, and think that I7 brings many of the same characteristics. That said, late addition I7 should bring more juicy/citrus to the party I'm told. This beer had it, but it seemed to loose it quickly. That's why I think Citra instead of Lemondrop might give me what I'm looking for.

The process should be OK, so it must be ingredients. The only one that I questioned going in was the Lemondrop since they were "leftovers". But like I said it's definitely a 'good' beer, just not as good as it was.

Brooo Brother

Last edited:
Well the process certainly sounds legit from a distance :)
I still find it curious how a keg of beer could transform in the short time frame you've related. Regardless of character, to lose it so quickly seems off - I would expect more of a slope than a cliff...

Cheers!

Well the process certainly sounds legit from a distance :)
I still find it curious how a keg of beer could transform in the short time frame you've related. Regardless of character, to lose it so quickly seems off - I would expect more of a slope than a cliff...

Cheers!

Me too. It sure smelled good during fermentation and was a delight after it was first tapped, but tamed quite quickly. Still, being left with a really nice 'standard' AIPA is a First World problem I'm happy to put up with.

Brooo Brother

my latest combo came out fantastic.

Cashmere, Amarillo, Citra, & Sabro
At a 3:2:1:1 ratio.

Very tropical with notes of peach ring gummies, orange cream, lime zest, and coconut

There are so many holes in that study I have a hard time taking it too seriously. If those beers were all brewed by one person (team) on one brewhouse and packaged by one person I might have a better time accepting its results. My favorite part is the brewery with 1200+ ppm of So4 in their water.

There are so many holes in that study I have a hard time taking it too seriously. If those beers were all brewed by one person (team) on one brewhouse and packaged by one person I might have a better time accepting its results. My favorite part is the brewery with 1200+ ppm of So4 in their water.

I'd like to see John Kimmich comment on the "negative correlation between sulfate levels and perceived hop flavor." ;)

OK, so I brewed today and originally was going to go for an orange forward NEIPA using mostly Idaho 7 on the hot side (whirlpool) and heavy on mandarin bavaria in the dry hop. However, for the first time (Ive only been brewing since january) when I re-opened the bag of mandarin bavaria today (was going to put a small addition in whirlpool) it was more than underwhelming smell. Ive never had this before. Wasn't really onion/garlic but really pretty much no smell at all. I don't own a vacuum sealer and this bag was previously opened. So with that being said, I don't think I want to try to feature this hop in the dry hop when the time comes (about 10 days from now). So I genuinely would like to get some input on other hops that would go well with the base that I used on the hot side today which Ive used before and love it as a "base" NEIPA. Today's hops schedule was:

60min boil - Columbus (0.5oz)
5min boil - Columbus (0.25oz) + Citra (0.25oz)
Whirlpool (60 minutes total at 155 degrees F) - Idaho 7 (4.5oz), Citra (0.5oz)

I was intending on splitting the citra Whirlpool addition with citra / mandarin bavaria (0.25oz each) and then using citra / man bavaria in the dry hop with a 2:1 ratio of man bag/citra. But since the man bavaria didn't smell great, I didn't use it. So thats what Im working with from hop side hops. I love the nice depth/earth/dank/fresh hop that columbus brings to this hop schedule. Ive used this hot side regimen before and then went with citra/nelson on DH and it was awesome. Yeast I pitched is A24 Imperial Dry Hop. I have a big selection of hops available for dry hop, and don't care if it retains the orange forward theme I was originally going for.

Hops that I have available in addition to the other ones already listed: Galaxy, Simcoe, Mosaic, Riwaka (just got these today!), Nelson, Amarillo, Waimea, Vic Secret, Strata, Motueka (haven't used these yet), Centennial, Cashmere, and Huell Melon

So what would you think would play well with this hot side hop schedule in the dry hop? I could just go with what Ive done before with Citrus/Nelson in DH but just looking for a different set of eyes on this.

OK, so I brewed today and originally was going to go for an orange forward NEIPA using mostly Idaho 7 on the hot side (whirlpool) and heavy on mandarin bavaria in the dry hop. However, for the first time (Ive only been brewing since january) when I re-opened the bag of mandarin bavaria today (was going to put a small addition in whirlpool) it was more than underwhelming smell. Ive never had this before. Wasn't really onion/garlic but really pretty much no smell at all. I don't own a vacuum sealer and this bag was previously opened. So with that being said, I don't think I want to try to feature this hop in the dry hop when the time comes (about 10 days from now). So I genuinely would like to get some input on other hops that would go well with the base that I used on the hot side today which Ive used before and love it as a "base" NEIPA. Today's hops schedule was:

I was intending on splitting the citra Whirlpool addition with citra / mandarin bavaria (0.25oz each) and then using citra / man bavaria in the dry hop with a 2:1 ratio of man bag/citra. But since the man bavaria didn't smell great, I didn't use it. So thats what Im working with from hop side hops. I love the nice depth/earth/dank/fresh hop that columbus brings to this hop schedule. Ive used this hot side regimen before and then went with citra/nelson on DH and it was awesome. Yeast I pitched is A24 Imperial Dry Hop. I have a big selection of hops available for dry hop, and don't care if it retains the orange forward theme I was originally going for.

Hops that I have available in addition to the other ones already listed: Galaxy, Simcoe, Mosaic, Riwaka (just got these today!), Nelson, Amarillo, Waimea, Vic Secret, Strata, Motueka (haven't used these yet), Centennial, Cashmere, and Huell Melon

So what would you think would play well with this hot side hop schedule in the dry hop? I could just go with what Ive done before with Citrus/Nelson in DH but just looking for a different set of eyes on this.
If you wanna keep your orange plan going Amarillo is a good choice

It just depends on what you’re looking for. I7 comes through fermentation better than any hop. The black tea/earth generally doesn’t survive but the orangey character does make it through and will accent a DH but DH will still overpower most everything.

You’ve got a great selection. If you’re going for max impact Citra + Galaxy is top notch. Citra + Mosaic is standard. Amarillo can be orangey but I’ve never found really good Amarillo personally.

If you want to learn what certain hops bring that you haven’t used before feature that hop and support it with a bit of Citra or Mosaic.

Simcoe is rad with everything

Simcoe/Nelson/Amarillo is great

Galaxy/Simcoe

Citra/Motueka is nice and limey usually

Riwaka, Amarillo, Centennial or
Riwaka Amarillo, Simcoe

Huell melon will get run over, don’t bother. German hops are maybe the most variable.. as you’ve already found.

Is there really a benefit to a 60 min whirlpool?

Is there really a benefit to a 60 min whirlpool?
Lol good question! Honestly, Im pretty new so Im not married to doing 60min WPs, but in my limited anecdotal experience with playing with this, I do the 60min WP with staggered additions because I simply liked it better than chucking it all in at once for either 60min or 30min. Ive done varying ways of this but honestly wasn't a "true" experiment because the comparisons are limited due to different hops used as well. Jannish's book kinda skirts around this issue by presenting some evidence that it could be potentially detrimental to the overall flavor (potential increase in DMS if boil was shorter) but then in the key findings suggested that late staggered WP additions might increase fruity and herbal (I think) flavors but this depends on hop variety too. So, I haven't read that book in a while to revisit this, but thats where I got the idea that I want to experiment with WP length and staggered/non-staggered additions.

I have one I dry hopped a couple days ago and will be kegging tomorrow.
Citra, Mosaic, Strata, and El Dorado in a 2:2:2:1 proportion.
The pre-dry hop sample tasted quite good, and I'll taste another sample tomorrow during the kegging.

One of my personal favorites so far have been Citra, Centennial, Mosiac, Amarillo and Idaho 7 hot side and Citra, Mosiac, Amarillo and Idaho 7 for the dry hop. Nice, clean, fruity with just a bit of dank.

Hey guys I kinda fell off the NEIPA train and been brewing W12, RIS, ESB’s but this is what I have on hand.

Should I try and blend these in some way or get some Citra and do a Citra/Cashmere or Citra/Strata combo? I have never used either of these and think they would pair well with Citra?

Attachments

• FFDF2D1E-98D4-413D-A3FB-4F63D76DEF61.jpeg
    FFDF2D1E-98D4-413D-A3FB-4F63D76DEF61.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Hey guys I kinda fell off the NEIPA train and been brewing W12, RIS, ESB’s but this is what I have on hand.

Should I try and blend these in some way or get some Citra and do a Citra/Cashmere or Citra/Strata combo? I have never used either of these and think they would pair well with Citra?
Citra - Idaho 7 - strata is a killer combination! I personally go heavy with idaho 7 in whirlpool and then mostly citra/strata in dry hop. For bittering - citra or idaho 7 will work. The idaho 7 (2019) that I have doesn't give as much black tea that others have mentioned but its more orange forward.

I think that @MrPowers did an all I7 and Strata combo and stated it was great too.

Citra - Idaho 7 - strata is a killer combination! I personally go heavy with idaho 7 in whirlpool and then mostly citra/strata in dry hop. For bittering - citra or idaho 7 will work. The idaho 7 (2019) that I have doesn't give as much black tea that others have mentioned but its more orange forward.

I think that @MrPowers did an all I7 and Strata combo and stated it was great too.
I’ve got a Strata/I7 NE DIPA on right now that is awesome!

I’ve also done a single hop I7 beer (heavy whirlpool) that was awesome too. The I7 I’ve had has been pretty much straight orange. Not much black tea/earth. If it’s on the tea/earthy end of the spectrum, I don’t think it could carry a single hop beer.

I'm getting geared up for a Nectaron, Wai-iti and Enigma NEIPA. Someone give me a reason not to (other than none of the hops being from the US).

Citra, mosaic, and galaxy in a 2:2:1 works for me. Juuuuicy..

I accidentally mashed real high and it turned out sweet, malty and hop-a-licious.

So I have a full pound of nectaron and Im finally getting around to try it out. While I know that a single hopped beer is always best to get a feel for what a hop brings, Im wanting to brew a two-hop NEIPA with Nectaron. Here are my thoughts:

1) Columbus/Nectaron: Ive done columbus/galaxy before twice and LOVE it. It is trillium congress street style where more heavily weighted columbus on hot side and galaxy focused in fermentation. My thought is to sub out galaxy with nectaron all together. This is appealing to me because Im familiar with the columbus/galaxy combo and I even have one on tap now. So this would let me know what nectaron brings to the table.

2) Moutere/Nectaron: Haven't brewed with either hop ever! lol. But Im thinking using moutere in boil and some whirlpool but feature nectaron more in WP and DH. I have moutere in stock and descriptions appear to me that its a great bittering hop and also would compliment nectaron in general. This combo could be a fun experiment for me because Ive never had either.

Any thoughts on either of these combos? Of course, other combo suggestions with nectaron are appreciated. Ive seen peeps talk about nectaron/mosiac too and that sounds appealing. Bottom line, Id like to feature nectaron in my upcoming NEIPA but not do a single-hop beer right now.

TYIA!

So I have a full pound of nectaron and Im finally getting around to try it out. While I know that a single hopped beer is always best to get a feel for what a hop brings, Im wanting to brew a two-hop NEIPA with Nectaron. Here are my thoughts:

1) Columbus/Nectaron: Ive done columbus/galaxy before twice and LOVE it. It is trillium congress street style where more heavily weighted columbus on hot side and galaxy focused in fermentation. My thought is to sub out galaxy with nectaron all together. This is appealing to me because Im familiar with the columbus/galaxy combo and I even have one on tap now. So this would let me know what nectaron brings to the table.

2) Moutere/Nectaron: Haven't brewed with either hop ever! lol. But Im thinking using moutere in boil and some whirlpool but feature nectaron more in WP and DH. I have moutere in stock and descriptions appear to me that its a great bittering hop and also would compliment nectaron in general. This combo could be a fun experiment for me because Ive never had either.

Any thoughts on either of these combos? Of course, other combo suggestions with nectaron are appreciated. Ive seen peeps talk about nectaron/mosiac too and that sounds appealing. Bottom line, Id like to feature nectaron in my upcoming NEIPA but not do a single-hop beer right now.

TYIA!

I still haven’t used much of the 2020 crop I have but the 2019 stuff when it was 4337 was incredibly strong. It dominated everything and would stand out even as only a small percentage of a blend. Not in a bad way but it was easy to pick out.

I have a hard time describing the hop profile of Nectaron. It’s similar to Nelson and Enigma in that it has this “green fruit” aspect to it. Never had a Gooseberry but I’d imagine that’s what it might be like? I don’t get any if the Pineapple that the marketing literature says is there. One thing it doesn’t have is any of that typical diesel or machine oil that’s really pronounced in some Nelson and Riwaka. But it does have a decent amount of pine which is actually nice. Similar to Waimea in that way I guess. It’s a “full sister” to Waimea.

Personally I’d go the Moutere route. I’ve never used Moutere on it’s own but I think it would compliment Nectaron well. It has a bit of pine and this underlying hay/spice aspect that sounds bad but it’s not at all. It’s almost like a baking spice of some sort. Something similar to cinnamon or cardamom. I know it sounds weird or bad but it’s not at all. 9909 has this too.

Using the Moutere as you describe sounds like a good plan to me.

Actually brewing with a bit of Nectaron this morning. It’ll be mostly Southern Cross on the hotside with a bit of Nelson then DH with Nelson and Nectaron.

Back