Best NEIPA hop combos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’ll be mostly Southern Cross on the hotside with a bit of Nelson then DH with Nelson and Nectaron.

I assume you've seen this Janish article where Southern Cross features heavily? It's notable for being the highest hop known for the apricoty ester 2MIB (2-methylbutyl isobutyrate) which has synergy with the Nelson thiol 3S4MP, so he used SX in the whirlpool followed by dryhopping with Nelson and a lager yeast.

I assume you've seen this Janish article where Southern Cross features heavily? It's notable for being the highest hop known for the apricoty ester 2MIB (2-methylbutyl isobutyrate) which has synergy with the Nelson thiol 3S4MP, so he used SX in the whirlpool followed by dryhopping with Nelson and a lager yeast.

Yes I did see that. Also maybe the best known Nelson beer, Alpine Brewing’s “Nelson”, uses a lot of Southern Cross on the hotside.

In a 5-gallon batch Amarillo, Cascade, Citra and Simcoe make a fine combination when used for whirlpooling and dry hopping. At flameout target 70 IBUs in the kettle. Using half an ounce of Cascade and an ounce each of Amarillo, Cascade, Citra and Simcoe. Whirlpooling continuously until the wort cools to 170F. Then dry hop with an ounce of Amarillo and Simcoe and 4 ounces of Citra once the airlock slows to a bubble or two every 10 seconds. Tasty!

Last edited:
i just did sorachi ace, sabro, nelson and citra.
should be interesting.
Curious how that worked out for you? I love S Ace in my Saisons but never thought to use it with those hops in a hazy NEIPA style. Mind sharing your hop additions?

So I have a full pound of nectaron and Im finally getting around to try it out. While I know that a single hopped beer is always best to get a feel for what a hop brings, Im wanting to brew a two-hop NEIPA with Nectaron. Here are my thoughts:

1) Columbus/Nectaron: Ive done columbus/galaxy before twice and LOVE it. It is trillium congress street style where more heavily weighted columbus on hot side and galaxy focused in fermentation. My thought is to sub out galaxy with nectaron all together. This is appealing to me because Im familiar with the columbus/galaxy combo and I even have one on tap now. So this would let me know what nectaron brings to the table.

2) Moutere/Nectaron: Haven't brewed with either hop ever! lol. But Im thinking using moutere in boil and some whirlpool but feature nectaron more in WP and DH. I have moutere in stock and descriptions appear to me that its a great bittering hop and also would compliment nectaron in general. This combo could be a fun experiment for me because Ive never had either.

Any thoughts on either of these combos? Of course, other combo suggestions with nectaron are appreciated. Ive seen peeps talk about nectaron/mosiac too and that sounds appealing. Bottom line, Id like to feature nectaron in my upcoming NEIPA but not do a single-hop beer right now.

TYIA!
Just following up on this. I ended up going with moutere/nectaron combo. Just pulled the hydro sample pre-soft crash, pre-dry hop and this is smooth as silk passionfruit bomb with some nice peach/stone fruit. Used more moutere on hot side than nectaron but will be favoring the nectaron over the moutere in dry hop. But I think this will be great!. hydro sample is unbelievably smooth with nothing remotely close to diesel new zealand esque. Can't wait until I get to have the final product! Bad lighting on the pics. its nice and bright, just like the flavor.

Attachments

• IMG_8704.jpg
    IMG_8704.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8707.jpg
    IMG_8707.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 54
Whats up guys,

Been following this topic for a while

Here in Brazil is hard to get my hands on Nelson, but finally I managed to get some
Whats is the best Nelson centered combo I could brew?

I got some, Citra, Motueka, Amarillo, Simcoe, Eldorado, Azacca and Columbus right now

Whats up guys,

Been following this topic for a while

Here in Brazil is hard to get my hands on Nelson, but finally I managed to get some
Whats is the best Nelson centered combo I could brew?

I got some, Citra, Motueka, Amarillo, Simcoe, Eldorado, Azacca and Columbus right now
I had a Citra/Nelson double from WeldWerks/Casey (it was a collab) called Transmountain Diversion. It was phenomenal. One of the best IPA's I've ever had. That combo gets my vote.

I also brewed an El Dorado/Nelson session NEIPA (3.2%abv) and that combo worked nicely as well.

Yeah bro
From what Ive been reading Nelson and Citra make a hell of combo
Considering that for sure
What ratio would be balanced?

Yeah bro
From what Ive been reading Nelson and Citra make a hell of combo
Considering that for sure
What ratio would be balanced?
I would probably go heavier with citra late in the boil (if you do boil additions) and whirlpool and then go heavier on the nelson in the dry hop. Maybe 2:1 Citra in the whirlpool and 2:1 nelson in the dry hop.

I would probably go heavier with citra late in the boil (if you do boil additions) and whirlpool and then go heavier on the nelson in the dry hop. Maybe 2:1 Citra in the whirlpool and 2:1 nelson in the dry hop.
This years Nelson is crazy potent, at least what I got from yvh. I just did a dryhop of 6 oz Galaxy and 4 oz Nelson and the Nelson absolutely punches you in the face and is definitely the dominant flavor. That’s saying something with how potent Galaxy is. Just wanted to share since the last few years when I did this dryhop combo it was def Galaxy forward

This might be a PSA, but I tried adding an ounce of Nugget to my whirlpool hops along with twice as much each of Amarillo, Chinook and El Dorado (a combo I've used four times prior) and that Nugget is determined to be the soloist in the choir. Woof!

I mean, the character is intriguing but it's just too dominant to play nice with others. If I ever do that again (unlikely) I think I'd cut it down to a half-ounce, tops. Maybe a quarter.

Cheers! ("That is all. Go about your business" ;))

This might be a PSA, but I tried adding an ounce of Nugget to my whirlpool hops along with twice as much each of Amarillo, Chinook and El Dorado (a combo I've used four times prior) and that Nugget is determined to be the soloist in the choir. Woof!

I mean, the character is intriguing but it's just too dominant to play nice with others. If I ever do that again (unlikely) I think I'd cut it down to a half-ounce, tops. Maybe a quarter.

Cheers! ("That is all. Go about your business" ;))

What character are you getting out of Nugget in that beer? Typically nugget has a mild woodsy/tea flavor that would at least get overrun by the piney chinook character.

Ugh - I've always hated trying to interpret others' responses to that type of character question :D

I need a bit more time with it - I've only had a half dozen pours, and I'm still sorting it out.
But I would say a back-of-the-pallet resiney/herbal note that emerges late then holds longer than the rest of the music.
It's not bad, it's different - kinda like my first experience with Azacca - which come to think of it was pretty much the same sensation.
If I come up with something more refined I'll add a note then...

Cheers!

Ok, it's "True Confession" time.

Turns out my association of the "different" back of the pallet characters that I thought coincided with my addition of Nugget to a recipe I've brewed a half dozen times without was completely off the mark. And I should have realized the "only had a half dozen pours" thing might have been significant.

Because it was yeast bite.

SMH, I didn't even think of that. Mostly because I almost always (like 95% of the time) cold condition/slow carb kegs for at least three weeks, and so after literally just a couple of ounces poured the beer runs clean. Basically, I rarely experience yeast bite.

But, on this particular keg I did the "rock and roll" fast carb on a fully chilled keg, and started drinking it a day later - with plenty of yeast still in suspension that went unnoticed because this was, after all, a hazy style beer...

Cheers! ("What a *******!" :D)

Last edited:
Hey guys I'm planning my next NEIPA recipe. I have 10oz Citra and 6oz Strata available, any idea the best way to combine these two? I have never used Strata before, but heard its quite pungent.

I've done Citra/Idaho7/Strata combo three times now and its fantastic. Never done just Citra/Strata before though. Id use Citra for the boil (Ive used a 60min and 5min additions) and then something like a 2:1 or 2.5:1 ratio of citra/strata in WP and 1:1 ratio for dry hop. Even though Strata can be potent yes, I think Citra amplifies the Citrus/fruityness of strata for sure. Ive also gotten some of the dankness of strata but with citra as a compliment, the dankness most likely would be complimentary and in background compared to the fruit punch bowl you will get.

Hey guys I'm planning my next NEIPA recipe. I have 10oz Citra and 6oz Strata available, any idea the best way to combine these two? I have never used Strata before, but heard its quite pungent.

2oz each in the whirlpool/flame out. The rest in the DH

I still haven’t used much of the 2020 crop I have but the 2019 stuff when it was 4337 was incredibly strong. It dominated everything and would stand out even as only a small percentage of a blend. Not in a bad way but it was easy to pick out.

I have a hard time describing the hop profile of Nectaron. It’s similar to Nelson and Enigma in that it has this “green fruit” aspect to it. Never had a Gooseberry but I’d imagine that’s what it might be like? I don’t get any if the Pineapple that the marketing literature says is there. One thing it doesn’t have is any of that typical diesel or machine oil that’s really pronounced in some Nelson and Riwaka. But it does have a decent amount of pine which is actually nice. Similar to Waimea in that way I guess. It’s a “full sister” to Waimea.

Personally I’d go the Moutere route. I’ve never used Moutere on it’s own but I think it would compliment Nectaron well. It has a bit of pine and this underlying hay/spice aspect that sounds bad but it’s not at all. It’s almost like a baking spice of some sort. Something similar to cinnamon or cardamom. I know it sounds weird or bad but it’s not at all. 9909 has this too.

Using the Moutere as you describe sounds like a good plan to me.

Actually brewing with a bit of Nectaron this morning. It’ll be mostly Southern Cross on the hotside with a bit of Nelson then DH with Nelson and Nectaron.

Just following this up. I LOVE this moutere and nectaron combo! There is a lot going on with this beer being only two hops were used. Moutere (I think) gives it some nice background earthy and pine depth with passionfruit and smooth grapefruit. The nectaron is equally amazing and since I dry hopped mostly with nectaron, I get a lot of "green fruit" along with passionfruit and more smooth grapefruit. Quite complex but well balanced. The up front grapefruit - like bitterness is balanced very well with the passionfruit sweetness. I don't get any pineapple in this and the "diesel-like" flavor you typically get from NZ hops like nelson isn't that pronounced at all. It IS there but its nicely restrained. This is easily one of my favorites that DOESN'T involve Citra but there is plenty citrus in this (mostly smooth grapefruit). Awesome combo that ended up being nicely complex and not one-dimensional.
IMG_9008.jpg

Talking about saturated flavor from hot side additions...

Nice podcast about survivables. With Jamil Zainasheff and Scott Janish. From 18:30 to 23:30 forward they talk about using a single hop variety versus multiple hop varieties hot side. Scott Janish recommends combining different hops hot side to get saturation. It sounds like he prefers mixing almost as many as possible. To get the synergy from all the hop compounds. Idaho-7, Mosaic, Bravo, Millennium (can't find it in EU), ...

And then only use 1-3 varieties in the dry hop.

https://podcasts.apple.com/dk/podca...t-hop-survivables/id288838352?i=1000491352802
Citra, I7, and Bravo or Simcoe (all three equal parts) is the absolute best whirlpool blend I have found. Amazing citrus/tropical/subtle dank base that compliments without overpowering any dry hop that I have tried.

Might try a mix of Idaho-7, Bravo and Citra.

Any other complex combinations to try?

Talking about saturated flavor from hot side additions...

Nice podcast about survivables. With Jamil Zainasheff and Scott Janish. From 18:30 to 23:30 forward they talk about using a single hop variety versus multiple hop varieties hot side. Scott Janish recommends combining different hops hot side to get saturation. It sounds like he prefers mixing almost as many as possible. To get the synergy from all the hop compounds. Idaho-7, Mosaic, Bravo, Millennium (can't find it in EU), ...

And then only use 1-3 varieties in the dry hop.

https://podcasts.apple.com/dk/podca...t-hop-survivables/id288838352?i=1000491352802

Might try a mix of Idaho-7, Bravo and Citra.

Any other complex combinations to try?

I have one in the tank now where I used I7/Mosaic/Citra on hot side in a 2:2:1 ratio. I believe these are in the 1st/2nd/4th places on the survivables list. I gotta say, just sampled it 2 days ago after fermentation finished and I was really surprised. I don't know if I've ever had that kind of flavor right after fermentation and before any dry hopping took place. Straight up citrus juice with orange, tangerine, orange peel, and just general citrus. I was really pleased.

Dry hopping this one with Amarillo/Cashmere in a 2:1 ratio. Curious how this combo comes out.

I have one in the tank now where I used I7/Mosaic/Citra on hot side in a 2:2:1 ratio. I believe these are in the 1st/2nd/4th places on the survivables list. I gotta say, just sampled it 2 days ago after fermentation finished and I was really surprised. I don't know if I've ever had that kind of flavor right after fermentation and before any dry hopping took place. Straight up citrus juice with orange, tangerine, orange peel, and just general citrus. I was really pleased.

Dry hopping this one with Amarillo/Cashmere in a 2:1 ratio. Curious how this combo comes out.

Thanks for sharing! Yes, my IPAs always tasted best from the fermenter. The challenge for me is maintaining that goodness through the kegging process.

Probably a topic for another thread but what are you doing when kegging? Are you doing closed or open transfers?

Trust me, tired everything under the sun. Fighting post fermentation diacetyl was my biggest issue but I have that resolved. I do introduce oxygen, even though I'm purging the keg during the entire process, so the flavor doesn't last too long.

I might try the fermentasaurus again for closed transfer. I stopped doing that because the hops would clog up....too much a PITA for me.

What's you process if you don't mind?

To partially stay on topic doing this combo in a 3gal batch.

PXL_20210520_194110498.jpg

Trust me, tired everything under the sun. Fighting post fermentation diacetyl was my biggest issue but I have that resolved. I do introduce oxygen, even though I'm purging the keg during the entire process, so the flavor doesn't last too long.

I might try the fermentasaurus again for closed transfer. I stopped doing that because the hops would clog up....too much a PITA for me.

What's you process if you don't mind?

To partially stay on topic doing this combo in a 3gal batch.

View attachment 729696

My process looks like this....

Fermenting and Dry Hopping - using a unitank and a pieced together oxygen free dry hop chamber. See picture below. Purging the hopper with CO2 about 10 times then dropping hops in.

hop dropper.jpg

I haven't used it yet but heard a lot of good things. Planning on using this filter between the unitank and the keg to filter out the hop debris that doesn't crash out. This was always one of my biggest pain points.

filter.jpg

Kegging - Filling up kegs 100% with sanitizer and pushing out with store bought CO2. Having the pressure in the keg about 3-5 psi short of what's in the unitank after carbing. Throw a spunding valve on the gas post of the keg and start filling from the tank. Pic below....

kegging.jpg

Fermenting and Dry Hopping - using a unitank and a pieced together oxygen free dry hop chamber. See picture below. Purging the hopper with CO2 about 10 times then dropping hops in.

View attachment 729702

I haven't used it yet but heard a lot of good things. Planning on using this filter between the unitank and the keg to filter out the hop debris that doesn't crash out. This was always one of my biggest pain points.

View attachment 729708

Kegging - Filling up kegs 100% with sanitizer and pushing out with store bought CO2. Having the pressure in the keg about 3-5 psi short of what's in the unitank after carbing. Throw a spunding valve on the gas post of the keg and start filling from the tank. Pic below....

View attachment 729709

The amount of money I've thrown away with bad ipa batches would've paid for all that.

My 3, and probably most people, main concerns are fermentation temperature control (living in Central Texas), keeping hop material from clogging lines/fittings, and of course oxygen control. Obviously turning out IPAs (Hazy, WC, DIPAs) which are same or better then top notch breweries out there would be a MUST for me. Otherwise, I just buy them.

In your opinion, how's your final product compared to your favorite IPAs? If you don't mind..

Does that set-up fit the bill?

The amount of money I've thrown away with bad ipa batches would've paid for all that.

My 3, and probably most people, main concerns are fermentation temperature control (living in Central Texas), keeping hop material from clogging lines/fittings, and of course oxygen control. Obviously turning out IPAs (Hazy, WC, DIPAs) which are same or better then top notch breweries out there would be a MUST for me. Otherwise, I just buy them.

In your opinion, how's your final product compared to your favorite IPAs? If you don't mind..

Does that set-up fit the bill?

So the only thing I haven't figured out yet is clogging of lines when kegging heavily hopped beers. I know of people who don't use filters and say they're fine after a good cold crash. I know of people who use bouncer filters and swear by them. And I know a lot of people who swear by this new filter pictured above.

I tried a bouncer but admittendly, I think I bought the wrong one. I bought one with a VERY SMALL opening and exit. i should have bought the one that has the threaded holes to screw in a TC fitting. But, you live you learn. On my last NEIPA, I actually punched a hole in a door in my basement because I was so pissed with how many clogging issues I was having. FML...

Now I've bought this filter and I'm extending my final cold crash from 2 days to 4 days to make sure I drop out as much hop matter as possible. I'll know next week how it goes.

In regards to fermentation control, I blew the money on a glycol chiller and I won't ever go back. Works great. Prior to that, i was using a chest freezer with an inkbird and fermenting in carboys but to be honest, I never attempted a hoppy beer of this caliber in that setup. The glycol is an instant winner in my opinion. I've seen a lot of people have good success with the homemade glycol chillers too.

In regards to oxygen exposure, absolutely. This setup completely eliminates it in my opinion. There's no where for oxygen to get in at (unless you start looking at oxygen in store bought CO2 but I don't...).

My last NEIPA I made, I tried it side by side with the commercial examples that I had access to. Keep in mind, I'm in the midwest. Really good NEIPAs are hard to find by me. There are some, but I don't have access to the legendary ones on the east coast. Comparing to what I have access to though, by far, I chose mine every time on the last one. Had great tropical hoppy notes that lasted throughout all 3 kegs and didn't seem to fade. It never changed color like what you see with the badly oxidized ones. Where I think ours really shined was in mouthfeel though. Ours had that nice pillowy mouthfeel that I can't find in local selections.

We have a "howler club" for friends of ours. There's 53 people in it and that hazy was by far our most popular beer yet. I don't THINK I have ugly baby syndrome. As a matter of fact, I believe my wife and I are our hardest critics. But you never know.

Short answer - I think the above setup gets the job done, but you never know, I could be biased.

So the only thing I haven't figured out yet is clogging of lines when kegging heavily hopped beers. I know of people who don't use filters and say they're fine after a good cold crash. I know of people who use bouncer filters and swear by them. And I know a lot of people who swear by this new filter pictured above.

I tried a bouncer but admittendly, I think I bought the wrong one. I bought one with a VERY SMALL opening and exit. i should have bought the one that has the threaded holes to screw in a TC fitting. But, you live you learn. On my last NEIPA, I actually punched a hole in a door in my basement because I was so pissed with how many clogging issues I was having. FML...

Now I've bought this filter and I'm extending my final cold crash from 2 days to 4 days to make sure I drop out as much hop matter as possible. I'll know next week how it goes.

In regards to fermentation control, I blew the money on a glycol chiller and I won't ever go back. Works great. Prior to that, i was using a chest freezer with an inkbird and fermenting in carboys but to be honest, I never attempted a hoppy beer of this caliber in that setup. The glycol is an instant winner in my opinion. I've seen a lot of people have good success with the homemade glycol chillers too.

In regards to oxygen exposure, absolutely. This setup completely eliminates it in my opinion. There's no where for oxygen to get in at (unless you start looking at oxygen in store bought CO2 but I don't...).

My last NEIPA I made, I tried it side by side with the commercial examples that I had access to. Keep in mind, I'm in the midwest. Really good NEIPAs are hard to find by me. There are some, but I don't have access to the legendary ones on the east coast. Comparing to what I have access to though, by far, I chose mine every time on the last one. Had great tropical hoppy notes that lasted throughout all 3 kegs and didn't seem to fade. It never changed color like what you see with the badly oxidized ones. Where I think ours really shined was in mouthfeel though. Ours had that nice pillowy mouthfeel that I can't find in local selections.

We have a "howler club" for friends of ours. There's 53 people in it and that hazy was by far our most popular beer yet. I don't THINK I have ugly baby syndrome. As a matter of fact, I believe my wife and I are our hardest critics. But you never know.

Short answer - I think the above setup gets the job done, but you never know, I could be biased.

Thank you for that very thoughtful response! See my concerns are common with some resolution available. For now I got the fermentasaurus soaking in PBW and will give it a go. My chest freezer is set-up for temp control and yes I'll probably cold crash for 4days this time.

Dry hop 1 will be 3days after fermentation. Dry hop 2? After dumping trub and purging the fermenter I guess.

Thanks again for you time! 🍻

tomorrow I will be brewing for the first time in about 3 months! woot woot! Going to try a different combo for me: Waimea, Citra, Nectaron. Ive done a waimea single hopped pale ale before and I got lots of fruit expression but the "pine needles for days" interpretation I didn't really get too much of it. Waimea has a really nice fruitiness to it, for me was most reminiscent of mangoes. Also brewed several with Nectaron (paired with moutere once and then moutere and idaho 7 the other time) and liked them both. The Nectaron/Moutere was really a nice tropical party with nice NZ diesel but not too intense like you can get with Nelson. the Nectaron/I7/Nectaron was nice as well but not as tropical/fruit and had lots of cool fruit/earth/ NZ diesel. So for this one Im going to brighten it up and hopefully get a bigger fruit bomb, NZ style but with the help of Citrus.

Plan is to use waimea only in the boil with a touch of citra and nectaron in the end of boil and then exclusive citra/nectaron the rest of the way. Citrus LUPOMax will be reserved for the DH with nectaron on a 2:1 ratio in favor of nectaron since nectarines total oil is lower than citras. Im hoping that citra will pull/amplify more of the peach/tropical/passionfruitiness out of nectaron.

Since this will be my first time using LUPOMAX of any kind, can anyone speak to how much more intense it is compared to regular citra if you were comparing on a 1:1 ratio?

View attachment 729702

View attachment 729708

View attachment 729709
I have that same inline TC wort filter and used it to filter my wort before going through my plate chiller. It was effective but I was bummed that with my 5-6G system I just added 1G of dead space for wort loss. I did add a TC gas fitting to push out the 1G w CO2 but I ended up switching to an Immersion chiller and simplifying my process. I homebrewed with some buddies for years and we would struggle with clogged transfers after a 1-2 day cold crash at 38-40F. We were using about 10oz of DH.
In a podacast with the brewer for Monkish he emphasized the importance of a 7 day cold crash at 32F for improving the final product by dropping out what needs to get precipitated.
I usually DH in the fermenter with 6-8oz of hops and after switching to an extended 7 day cold crash at 32F I have no issues with clogging during my closed loop gravity flow transfers. I still need to pour off the first 16-20oz until the beer looks clear and then the same at the end when I’m getting close to the bottom of the yeast/hop cake.

tomorrow I will be brewing for the first time in about 3 months! woot woot! Going to try a different combo for me: Waimea, Citra, Nectaron. Ive done a waimea single hopped pale ale before and I got lots of fruit expression but the "pine needles for days" interpretation I didn't really get too much of it. Waimea has a really nice fruitiness to it, for me was most reminiscent of mangoes. Also brewed several with Nectaron (paired with moutere once and then moutere and idaho 7 the other time) and liked them both. The Nectaron/Moutere was really a nice tropical party with nice NZ diesel but not too intense like you can get with Nelson. the Nectaron/I7/Nectaron was nice as well but not as tropical/fruit and had lots of cool fruit/earth/ NZ diesel. So for this one Im going to brighten it up and hopefully get a bigger fruit bomb, NZ style but with the help of Citrus.

Plan is to use waimea only in the boil with a touch of citra and nectaron in the end of boil and then exclusive citra/nectaron the rest of the way. Citrus LUPOMax will be reserved for the DH with nectaron on a 2:1 ratio in favor of nectaron since nectarines total oil is lower than citras. Im hoping that citra will pull/amplify more of the peach/tropical/passionfruitiness out of nectaron.

Since this will be my first time using LUPOMAX of any kind, can anyone speak to how much more intense it is compared to regular citra if you were comparing on a 1:1 ratio?
I just made an IPA which had some Citra Lupomax. I used it like I usually use the YCH LupuLN2 cryo pellets and was really pleased with the results. I’ve always substituted 1oz cryo for 2oz T90.
In looking at the LupuLN2 specs it lists the Citra cryo as having 24-26% AA, with 3.5-5.5% total oil. YCH states that using the cryo hops boosts hop performance 40-50%.
YVH Citra Lupomax was 18% AA for the 2020 crop. No total oil stats were given but they recommended using 70% of the hop amount when replacing T90 with Lupomax.
I try to balance the cryo:T90 ratio and I found that my IPAs taste smoother with less hop bite and have great aromatics. Even using cryo/T90 of the same hop variety will add some complexity beyond just the T90 or cryo alone.

I still need to pour off the first 16-20oz until the beer looks clear and then the same at the end when I’m getting close to the bottom of the yeast/hop cake.
Please tell me you force carb that initial 16-20oz and chug it down! lol. I don't have the fancy conicals, sometimes I wish I did. But this is where I absolutely love my fermonster modified with floating dip tube. with closed transfers, its clear from the start and until the end when the tube is lying horizontally on top of the trub but still sucking out the last few drops of clear beer. Not the best pics but you get the idea.

IMG_6365.jpg
IMG_6589-2.jpg

I have that same inline TC wort filter and used it to filter my wort before going through my plate chiller. It was effective but I was bummed that with my 5-6G system I just added 1G of dead space for wort loss. I did add a TC gas fitting to push out the 1G w CO2 but I ended up switching to an Immersion chiller and simplifying my process. I homebrewed with some buddies for years and we would struggle with clogged transfers after a 1-2 day cold crash at 38-40F. We were using about 10oz of DH.
In a podacast with the brewer for Monkish he emphasized the importance of a 7 day cold crash at 32F for improving the final product by dropping out what needs to get precipitated.
I usually DH in the fermenter with 6-8oz of hops and after switching to an extended 7 day cold crash at 32F I have no issues with clogging during my closed loop gravity flow transfers. I still need to pour off the first 16-20oz until the beer looks clear and then the same at the end when I’m getting close to the bottom of the yeast/hop cake.
Yeah, the nice part about using it on the fermenter is that I'm already pushing with CO2 so I won't lose that beer in there. I've actually heard from others that they have gotten MORE out of the fermenter because by pushing with CO2, it is almost squeezing the hops and draining them even more. We'll see how it goes! I think a significant part of my problem with clogging comes from the fact that i get stingy with my dumps. I get worried I'm losing too much beer and don't want to sacrifice it. I just need to be ok with knowing that these heavily hopped beers lose a bit more volume.

I know some will say I should use the freshest hops for this style but I want to brew one to use up my 2017, 2018 and 2019 hops.
They should still be in good condition as they are frozen and vacuum packed.

I have at least 4 oz of the below hops except Mosaic and Southern Cross I only have 2 oz of those.
A combination of 3 to 5 them would be nice.

Citra, Galaxy, lemon drop, Mosaic, Columbus, Summit, Southern Cross, First gold, Cascade, Blanc, Mandrina Bavaria, Vic Secret, Cascade, Centennial and El Dorado

Any suggestions? :mug:

I know some will say I should use the freshest hops for this style but I want to brew one to use up my 2017, 2018 and 2019 hops.
They should still be in good condition as they are frozen and vacuum packed.

I have at least 4 oz of the below hops except Mosaic and Southern Cross I only have 2 oz of those.
A combination of 3 to 5 them would be nice.

Citra, Galaxy, lemon drop, Mosaic, Columbus, Summit, Southern Cross, First gold, Cascade, Blanc, Mandrina Bavaria, Vic Secret, Cascade, Centennial and El Dorado

Any suggestions? :mug:
Yakima Valley Hops says vacuum packed hops stay fresh in a freezer for 4 years. Should be good to go.

I like Citra, Mosaic and El Dorado where El Dorado is added at a higher amount to be the star. I do a tiny 60 minute of what ever high alpha variety I have then a huge whirlpool. Small high krausen dry hop and then large terminal gravity dry hop. When I add terminal dry hop I close off my kegmenter to capture as much volatiles as possible during the 3 day FG dry hop. I think the extra Co2 I capture and force into solution from the hop creep re-fermentation gives me great aroma in the final beer.

Attachments

• A9EA93BE-066F-42C5-8B85-C9243618C183.jpeg
    A9EA93BE-066F-42C5-8B85-C9243618C183.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Curious how that worked out for you? I love S Ace in my Saisons but never thought to use it with those hops in a hazy NEIPA style. Mind sharing your hop additions?

Sorry, its been awhile since I've been here.

Worked surprisingly well, Only use on hot side as below.

5min 1oz sorachi ace
whirlpool @ 80Deg C - 1 oz sabro, 4 oz citra

bio dryhop - 1 oz each, nelson citra
post ferment dryhop - 3 oz each nelson and citra

I'm working on a version two currently, so hope to have something in the tank soonish.
More sorachi ace and using citra/sabro cryo basically. then all nelson in the dryhop.

this time round, i've gone Idaho 7, loral cryo, citra cryo & mosaicT90
(first 3 in whirlpool only, then DDH with all 4).

Back