Best NEIPA hop combos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Comet ( 30 and 15 minutes additions + flameout ) for bittering and then Amarillo, Mosaic, Citra, Au35 ( experimental variety I can get from TheMaltMiller UK ), Motueka, Azzaca, El Dorado and NZ Riwaka.

Absolutely mindblowing, but quite expensive. I use 5 oz at flameout, 3.5 oz for dry hopping during the active fermentation and 10.5 oz before bottling/kegging.

I use Comet ( 30 and 15 minutes additions + flameout ) for bittering and then Amarillo, Mosaic, Citra, Au35 ( experimental variety I can get from TheMaltMiller UK ), Motueka, Azzaca, El Dorado and NZ Riwaka.

Absolutely mindblowing, but quite expensive. I use 5 oz at flameout, 3.5 oz for dry hopping during the active fermentation and 10.5 oz before bottling/kegging.

I'm assuming 10 gallon batch?

I am a big Citra fan and have done straight Citra before and is never disappointing. But I usually do multi-variety additions. Gives a little more complexity. Equal parts Citra/Centennial/Comet is very good. Or equal parts just Citra/Centennial. I haven't tried it in anything yet, but will be doing one with Mosaic soon. I will be doing a hop-forward pale first to get an idea of how exactly Mosaic tastes. Based on the result, I will figure out how much I want to use in my next NEIPA and with which of my other fav's to pair with.

I'm assuming 10 gallon batch?

No, it is actually a 5.5-6 gallons batch. I brew using the Grainfather and for this recipe I use around 7.5 kg ( 16.5 lbs ) of grains - Maris Otter, lots of flaked oats, wheat and oat malt. It tastes very good, but it is expensive, so I only made it twice, once alone and once along with my friend, to share expenses.

Happy to report that Idaho 7 and Ekuanot are a great combo. Possibly my favorite. Was already a fan of Ekuanot but Idaho 7 meshes with it so harmoniously. Very little pine from it too.

Could someone please explain the reason for the flame-out addition on some of the hob combos posted, if the beer has already had its initial bittering addition? My understanding is hop pellets in boiling wort either gives bitterness or vegetable flavour if unlucky, hence why reason to chill to 80C first before adding the flavour hops.

Could someone please explain the reason for the flame-out addition on some of the hob combos posted, if the beer has already had its initial bittering addition? My understanding is hop pellets in boiling wort either gives bitterness or vegetable flavour if unlucky, hence why reason to chill to 80C first before adding the flavour hops.

At the very tail end if adding hops at FO, it will probably add a little bitterness but also flavor and aroma. I do these quite often but also start cooling right away so within a couple mins I am down into the 170-175 range anyway and it starts my whirlpool. FWIW I seem to get better hop flavor when I start and FO, no idea why or if its just coincidence.

I can't believe I haven't seen one mention of Nelson Sauvin. Probably the best hop forward beer I've made was simply:
Nelson/Mosaic 2:1 ratio
40% flaked oats
60% pils
Wyeast 1318

Getting ready to dryhop, but the sample from the port is such that I may not want to wait even a few more days -

X331, Idaho 7, Citra, Amarillo

Unless dryhopping with same screws something up, this is going to be the most incredible thing I have ever tasted.

Getting ready to dryhop, but the sample from the port is such that I may not want to wait even a few more days -

X331, Idaho 7, Citra, Amarillo

Unless dryhopping with same screws something up, this is going to be the most incredible thing I have ever tasted.

Where/when did you get the X331 hops?

I bought a small amount of X331 from farmhouse brew supply to check the flavor and by the time I got back to get some more they were out of stock.

Just kegged one using cascade to bitter. Whirlpooled with cascade, lemon drop, amarillo and azacca.
Dry hopped in fermentor and keg with all four as well. Tastes quite tropical so far, I'm sure it will get better with carbonation and the keg hops.

Of the combos I use, I like GMC (Galaxy/Mosaic/Citra) the best. I use CTZ bittering extract instead of hops at 60 min. Galaxy is dominate so I use a bit less than the other two hops. I use 12 ounces of GMC total remembering I am bittering for 20 IBU's with CO2 extract.

Another thing that makes me like this hop combo is the SO4 to Cl ratio. I use 1:2 or 75 SO4 to 150 Cl

I was just wondering, has anyone ever tried a NEIPA with some parts of Cascade or does this give too much of a dominant cascade citrus taste?

Cascade is too citrusy/lemony in my opinion and does not pair well in a NEIPA. It could work in a smaller qty, where other fruitty hops are dominant.

Azacca, El Dorado, Denali, Amarillo, Citra, Mosaic, Motueka work well in NEIPA and many others, I am sure.

I was just wondering, has anyone ever tried a NEIPA with some parts of Cascade or does this give too much of a dominant cascade citrus taste?

I have done some with Cascade/Centennial..... They are not the same as those with Galaxy/Mosaic/Citra...... but they have played a part in some nice beers and I have liked them. In particular, if you can get your hands on some good cascade or centennial.

Cascade/Centennial/Citra
Cascade/Centennial/Simcoe
Cascade/Centennial/Amarillo
Cascade/Centennial/Summit
Centennial/Amarillo/Simcoe

I have done all of these and they have turned out well.

I have not done any without that "3rd hop" to go with cascade/centennial.

I have done one with citra/mosiac/galaxy that was outstanding, and one with citra/mosaic/Amarillo that was good, but not as good.

I've been wondering how Centennial would play with this style? Sounds like it would do well.

I think Centennial holds up very well. provides a nice bright citrusy/orange flavor which is nice especially if the other hops are more tropical.

For galaxy, citra, Mosaic any ratio differences or just 1x1x1?

I did that last time I made one. It was nice but I think I'd go with more citra in future. It was a little more resinous than I wanted. TBH I'd probably just drop one of the other hops to make it 2-1 with citra dominant. Or I'd just use denali in place of one of the others, its a very clean, fruit forward hop.

Galaxy/Mosaic is money. Just did a 2/2/1 with Mosaic, Galaxy and Equinox. Added some fruity experimental hops in the whirlpool too, but the majority is galaxy and mosaic. It's so good!

Not really.... I just throw that flameout addition in, shut off the burner, and might take a minute to get the chiller going. It is probably a total of only 3-5 minutes tops from flameout until I am definitely under 170 and shut the chiller off for the second addition/hopstand.

Are you running a whirlpool while chilling, and then after? Or are you just doing a hopstand?

I just manually stir the wort up every 5 minutes or so over the course of a 20-30 minute hop stand.

Interesting. I've started running a whirlpool and really like the results I'm getting for these beers. I never really tried just steeping.

Interesting. I've started running a whirlpool and really like the results I'm getting for these beers. I never really tried just steeping.

I don't use pumps. I have an immersion chiller that I put in with 10 minutes left in the boil and I just use that to "whirlpool" the wort every 5 minutes or so to get hops back up in suspension.

I've typically brewed them with mosaic/simcoe/citra. I have a popular one called "face plant" my buddies love it, when I tap it i half expect a line at the door. This is a pellet beer, no cryo, they were out at farmhouse and I kept the recipe the same. This weekend I'm brewing a sticky, resiny, stank and dank version. It is called "Dank" I'm layering high resin hops for flavor, and using a mild hop to off set it. Plus I wanted a bit of a wild side on hop selection, cause I'm getting tired of citra juice.

Here is a screen shot of the crazy addition schedule I crafted. No cryo dust again.

I'm really looking forward to this one.

IMG_0559.jpg

Has anyone done just Citra and Mosaic 1:1 instead of the Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy from the original or post 1418 recipe?

No love for Vic Secret?, I've tried Citra/Mosaic/Vic Secret at whirlpool and DH with good success, still think can't beat Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy combo.

No love for Riwaka? I've done 1:1 Nelson and mosaic which was delicious and the best beer I've brewed.
Was thinking about going citra, Nelson, Riwaka 2:1:1 in my next neipa (in about 4 weeks), but concerned that nobody seems to use Riwaka.

concerned that nobody seems to use Riwaka.

Why be "concerned" about people not using a new hop like that? It's more a case of it rarely leaves NZ - I can't remember ever seeing it in a commercial beer in the UK, and I've only seen it for sale on one homebrew website here. If you can't buy it, you won't brew with it...

Anyone done a Huell Melon (7%), Nelson Sauvin (12%), and Ekuanot (14%) combo? Thinking even amounts for flamout and whirlpool and then 1.5: .75: .75 ratio for dry hops....

I'm getting ready to brew one with all Australian hops:

1:2:2
Enigma (for "bittering")
Vic Secret
Galaxy

I'm really pumped.

I love vic secret. Gives a heavy pineapple aroma. My only problem with it is that it seems to fade after a couple of weeks. I did citra, mosaic, and vic secret for my first 2 neipas.

Back