Best NEIPA hop combos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
Just wondering what are some of the best combos out there for a NEIPA, such as:

Amarillo/citra/mosaic

Etc. I am trying to come up with a good but diffent combo, one that works, but not copied from other recipies already posted.

I was thinking of maybe a warrior/nugget bittering, with the steep and dry hop combo of:

Mosaic/vic secret/Amarillo......maybe a citra in there too...

well....I thought for sure with all the rave going on about these NEIPA's that there would be some insight, but maybe the style just seems to new for people to have experimented with different hops.

Pretty much all the newer hops are leaning more towards the fruit/tropical aroma and flavor that goes perfect with this style. The classic "west coast" hops are of course all the c hops, Amarillo, Simcoe pretty much the older hops that give more of a grapefruit, piney flavor and aroma.

The three main players in NE style that work well together or with any combo for me are:
Mosaic
Citra
Galaxy

Choose 1 of these and layer it with another or a couple different hops and you cant go wrong.

I have one almost done with mosaic, citra, and el dorado. sample smelled and tasted amazingly

I do mine with the norm:
Amarillo, Citra and galaxy and bitter with apollo
I typically dry hop mine with 1.5 amarillo, 1.5 citra 2.5 galaxy

i am doing a NE inspired imperial Pale Ale, and just dry hopped with 1 oz galaxy and 1 oz Crystal Hop hash (1 oz galaxy and 5ML centennial Hop Oil at flame out)

you could always do vic secret and galaxy.

I have one almost done with mosaic, citra, and el dorado. sample smelled and tasted amazingly

That's the combo for WeldWerks Juicy Bits, a great NE IPA. I was thinking of doing a Mosaic, Citra and Vic Secret combo and seeing how that goes.

I have one in the keg that's columbus and galaxy. It's dank as hell. I think the combo has promise, but I'd dial back the columbus a bit. That being said, I poured a glass for my wife last night and the aroma is intoxicating (pun intended).

My next will be the old standby (IMO): galaxy, mosaic, citra. I'm brewing Saturday so we'll have to wait a couple weeks. The last one was 14 days kettle to keg and could probably have been less.

I have 2 oz. each of centennial, el dorado, falconer flight 7 c's, and athanum. Would any of these make a good NEIPA combo? I could buy some citra or mosaic but I really just want to use what I have and save money.

I used nugget to bitter, then 1oz ea - citra, mosaic, Amarillo and .50 vic secret at flameout, again at 160 for 30 min, and then at 4 days into primary, and then a 4rd blast of the same at 10 days in, I'll give this 2 more days then keg.

I'll let you all know how this combo worked

Most of the NEIPA's I've seen have Mosaic and Galaxy in them and I used that as well as Amarillo.
Came out pretty well for a first time try. The aroma of those 3 is simply awesome!
I like the idea of El Dorado.

I have 2 oz. each of centennial, el dorado, falconer flight 7 c's, and athanum. Would any of these make a good NEIPA combo? I could buy some citra or mosaic but I really just want to use what I have and save money.

If you're brewing 5 gallons, that's 8 oz total which is less than what I put into a 5 gallon NEIPA. Between FWH, Whirlpool and dry hop additions, the one I'm about to brew has 11 oz. The previous recipe had 9 oz total, but was lower abv.

If you're brewing 5 gallons, that's 8 oz total which is less than what I put into a 5 gallon NEIPA. Between FWH, Whirlpool and dry hop additions, the one I'm about to brew has 11 oz. The previous recipe had 9 oz total, but was lower abv.

Agree definitely low. I'm using 16oz for my next ipa. If you want to only use what you have id suggest equal amounts totalling .5oz for bittering, 2.5oz flameout, and 5oz dry hop split two ways. Add the first charge 2 days after vigorous fermentation. Second 3days from kegging/bottling

I can buy more hops. I just don't want to have to buy $30 worth of hops when I already have some that I could use. My question is would those be ok for this style. I could use some of what I have and use citra and galaxy for whirlpool and dry hop additions. Would that be weird? Oh yeah I have 2 oz. of Hercules too.

I can buy more hops. I just don't want to have to buy $30 worth of hops when I already have some that I could use. My question is would those be ok for this style. I could use some of what I have and use citra and galaxy for whirlpool and dry hop additions. Would that be weird? Oh yeah I have 2 oz. of Hercules too.

You have 2 oz. each of centennial, el dorado, falconer flight 7 c's, and athanum.

I'm no expert. but with that mix, I'd use the Herkules as my boil addition (not all 2 oz.). I'd use the centenial and athanum as whirlpool additions, dry hop with the FF and Eldorado. You could add in a couple ounces of either amarilla, citra or mosaic if you wanted more hops. It'd be a frankenbeer, but you never know what will just work I guess.

Now there are more possibilities. You can make legit NEIPA with those hops. Bitter with herkules about 30ibus, then use the rest along with Eldorado and centennial for whirlpool additions. Save your citra and galaxy for dry hopping.

I use columbus to bitter. I used citra/galaxy last batch and it was awesome. Next going to do a mosaic/citra/galaxy mix. Then I am going to try a citra/exp pineapple/el dorado mix. Always using columbus to bitter and the others for aroma flavor from whirlpool and dry hop steps.

I use columbus to bitter. I used citra/galaxy last batch and it was awesome. Next going to do a mosaic/citra/galaxy mix. Then I am going to try a citra/exp pineapple/el dorado mix. Always using columbus to bitter and the others for aroma flavor from whirlpool and dry hop steps.

What rate are you hopping these? I'm brewing saturday 6.7 abv with the following:

1 oz Columbus Pellet 15 First Wort
1 oz Citra Pellet 11 Whirlpool at 170 °F 20 min
1 oz Galaxy Pellet 15 Whirlpool at 170 °F 20 min
1 oz Mosaic Pellet 12.5 Whirlpool at 170 °F 20 min
2 oz Citra Pellet 11 Dry Hop 3 days
1 oz Galaxy Pellet 14.25 Dry Hop 3 days
1 oz Mosaic Pellet 12.5 Dry Hop 3 days
2 oz Citra Pellet 11 Dry Hop 6 days
1 oz Mosaic Pellet 12.5 Dry Hop 6 days

I like a clean bittering hop like Warrior. Columbus is a popular choice as well.

In my experience..... 50 batches or more of this kind of beer..... there is just no beating Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy. Personally, I prefer a 1.5: 1.0: .5 ratio on those hops for all flameout/whirlpool/dry hop additions.

Other hops that Work well in my experience - Simcoe, Amarillo, Azacca, Falconers Flight Blend

I like Centennial, Cascade in flame out additions, but now so much in dry hop additions.

Personal taste - I am not a huge fan of "danK" hops like Columbus, Eureka, Apollo, etc. in beers like this..... at least not in any sizable addition. Perhaps as a small accent addition. Plenty of people do like them though - just my preference.

A couple that I did that I liked:
1.5:1.5 ratio of Citra/Mosaic in all additions
2.5: .5 ratio of Citra/Galaxy
2.5: .5 ratio of Citra/Columbus
1:1:1 ratio of Simcoe/Centennial/Amarillo in flameout/whirlpool and then 1.5:1.5 ratio of Simcoe/Amarillo in dry hop

100% Citra or 100% Mosaic is quite good for a single hop approach

I always bitter to 30-50 IBU's at 60 minutes
*3 oz. at flame out
*3 oz. when temp. gets under 170 with 30 minute hop stand
*3 oz. Dry hop on day 3-4
*3 oz. Dry hop around day 10-12 for 2-3 days before kegging.

Have any of you tried "pre hopping" the fermenter? Been hearing about people adding hops to fermenter before transferring wort. Might give it a shot in my next batch.

I made brauffesor's recipe. Used 1oz warrior to bitter then citra/mosaic/azacca for everything else, followed his hop schedule. Beer turned out awesome.

Have any of you tried "pre hopping" the fermenter? Been hearing about people adding hops to fermenter before transferring wort. Might give it a shot in my next batch.

I do this every time I transfer to a secondary. I "pre-load" my secondary with the dry hops, and then transfer, and I usually also place the secondary into the chamber that is already at 40°F also, not back into the 68 or whatever it come from. I have found that this process prevents all that suck back that normally happens when cold crashing.

What rate are you hopping these? I'm brewing saturday 6.7 abv with the following:

1 oz Columbus Pellet 15 First Wort
1 oz Citra Pellet 11 Whirlpool at 170 °F 20 min
1 oz Galaxy Pellet 15 Whirlpool at 170 °F 20 min
1 oz Mosaic Pellet 12.5 Whirlpool at 170 °F 20 min
2 oz Citra Pellet 11 Dry Hop 3 days
1 oz Galaxy Pellet 14.25 Dry Hop 3 days
1 oz Mosaic Pellet 12.5 Dry Hop 3 days
2 oz Citra Pellet 11 Dry Hop 6 days
1 oz Mosaic Pellet 12.5 Dry Hop 6 days

I last used:
.25 oz columbus 60 mins
.75 oz columbus 10 mins
1 oz columbus, 1 oz galaxy, 1 oz citra whirlpool at 180 for 30 mins
then 3.5 oz citra, 3.5 oz galaxy and 1 oz columbus dry hop on day 3.
All were pellet. It smells and tastes great. Next time I think I am going to also add an oz or 2 when i start fermentation. and an extra oz or 2 in the dry hop.

I might try this next batch, adding 2 oz of either citra or mosaic as i pitch the yeast. Worth experimenting with.

*3 oz. at flame out

@Braufessor
After you add the flameout addition, do you let it sit for any period of time before cooling or do you immediately cool to 170F?

I was really happy with my combo on the last batch I did. Bittered at 60 with magnum. Then I used citra, azacca, and el dorado for the rest. I did an oz of each of the 3 at 10 and whirlpool. Then I did 1oz azacca, 1 oz el dorado, and 2 oz citra for day 4 primary dry hop, and the same for keg hop. This turned out to be a juicy, tropical fruit bomb, just as I hoped.

I'm going to remake with the same hop schedule but increase the flaked oats this time.

@Braufessor
After you add the flameout addition, do you let it sit for any period of time before cooling or do you immediately cool to 170F?

Not really.... I just throw that flameout addition in, shut off the burner, and might take a minute to get the chiller going. It is probably a total of only 3-5 minutes tops from flameout until I am definitely under 170 and shut the chiller off for the second addition/hopstand.

Other hops that Work well in my experience - Simcoe, Amarillo, Azacca, Falconers Flight Blend

Braufessor, any recommendations for ratios if using citra, mosaic, and azacca? Been itching to try your recipe for a while, and though I don't have galaxy I have those other three. I have no feel for azacca as this is my first time using it and I don't know that I've had it in a commercial beer.

I made brauffesor's recipe. Used 1oz warrior to bitter then citra/mosaic/azacca for everything else, followed his hop schedule. Beer turned out awesome.

Ah cool, same question as for Braufessor - what ratio did you use with the azaca?

Braufessor, any recommendations for ratios if using citra, mosaic, and azacca? Been itching to try your recipe for a while, and though I don't have galaxy I have those other three. I have no feel for azacca as this is my first time using it and I don't know that I've had it in a commercial beer.

I would probably just go 1:1:1 with those 3. Azacca is not as prominent as Galaxy is (that is why I tend to go a bit less on galaxy normally.)

I guess it depends a little on your goal. If there is one of the hops you really want to come through, I would increase that one, and decrease the other two. But, if you are just going for a blend to come together, I think even parts would work fine.

I used even parts for flame out and whirlpool additions, but added an extra .5oz of citra for each dry hop addition. No real rhyme or reason for, just wanted to I guess.

I have one fermenting with Ekuanot and Idaho 7, and so far the hops seem to go really well together. Might end up with a touch more pine than usual from the Ekuanot. Will report on results later.

I brewed this yesterday and added 1oz. Each of citra, mosaic, and el dorado to the whirlpool. After I added the el dorado I tasted one and it was like eating a jalapeño. Is this going to make my beer spicy? I was going to add it to the dry hop bill too but now I'm thinking not.

I brewed this yesterday and added 1oz. Each of citra, mosaic, and el dorado to the whirlpool. After I added the el dorado I tasted one and it was like eating a jalapeño. Is this going to make my beer spicy? I was going to add it to the dry hop bill too but now I'm thinking not.

Never got spicy from el dorado

I like a clean bittering hop like Warrior. Columbus is a popular choice as well.

In my experience..... 50 batches or more of this kind of beer..... there is just no beating Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy. Personally, I prefer a 1.5: 1.0: .5 ratio on those hops for all flameout/whirlpool/dry hop additions.

I like Centennial, Cascade in flame out additions, but now so much in dry hop additions.

Personal taste - I am not a huge fan of "danK" hops like Columbus, Eureka, Apollo, etc. in beers like this..... at least not in any sizable addition. Perhaps as a small accent addition. Plenty of people do like them though - just my preference.

A couple that I did that I liked:
1.5:1.5 ratio of Citra/Mosaic in all additions
2.5: .5 ratio of Citra/Galaxy
2.5: .5 ratio of Citra/Columbus
1:1:1 ratio of Simcoe/Centennial/Amarillo in flameout/whirlpool and then 1.5:1.5 ratio of Simcoe/Amarillo in dry hop

100% Citra or 100% Mosaic is quite good for a single hop approach

*3 oz. at flame out

I'm brewing my first batch of NEIPA, and decided to go 50/50 all additions with Citra and Galaxy. I noticed your combo of the two was lighter on the Galaxy. Why?

I'm brewing my first batch of NEIPA, and decided to go 50/50 all additions with Citra and Galaxy. I noticed your combo of the two was lighter on the Galaxy. Why?

Personally, I find Galaxy to be a bit much when it is in large amounts. I just think it can get a little too assertive, potentially too harsh. I love it as a "compliment" to other hops - but it is just not something I have enjoyed when it is center stage.

That said - lots of people do love it front and center. So often it is not about "good and bad" - rather just personal preferences. Having brewed a ton of these beers, it is just what I have settled on.:mug:

Latest posts

Back