Best IPA I've made ever!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Safale - 05
Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.016
IBU: 36.5
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days @ 70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 70

Grain:
10lbs Pale Malt 2 row
1lb Caramel 40
.5lbs Cara-pils

Hops:
1oz Perle 60mins
.5 Cascade 15mins
.5 Amarillo 10mins
.5 Cascade 5mins

Dry hopped .5oz of Amarillo for 14 days in secondary.

My first sip of this ipa was like a floral explosion in my mouth! I know it's similar to a Sierra Nevada but it lacks the hoppy bitterness while still keeping the piney/floral characteristics of the hops used. I have brewed about 10-15 all grain batches of beer now and everyone of them has been drinkable and almost all of them have be complimented on by the "light american drinkers."

I am my biggest critic when it comes to brewing and every batch I make, no matter how many people tell me its good, I find things that I wish were different about the taste.

This is the first one I've made where I literally said to myself "holy sh** I made this!"

Gratz! Always great to be really pleased with your beer.

I'm about to dry hop the Ruination clone that Yooper posted; very excited to see how this comes out!

looks very similar to a SNPA but that is a pale ale, not an IPA

My thoughts, exactly.

The finishing gravity seems a little higher than I'd get for a recipe like this. What temp was it mashed at? Probably the cara-pils and the mash temp are keeping the body and sweetness up which means more balance for the hops. A nice tasting combo, most likely, for the APA category.

An IPA, on the other hand, is supposed to come out dryer. it's supposed to lean heavy to the hoppy side. More alcohol, more hops, and more S.G.

Latest posts

Back