Best improv bottle openers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortyjacobs

Reaction score
I flew out to Greenville, SC on Tuesday for a manufacturing experiment on Wednesday. It's been delayed to Saturday. I've been sitting in a hotel room smoking and drinking for 3 days, going on forever. I bought a case of Sweetwater 420 and sixer of Victory Hopdevil, both of which are pop-tops.

I have no bottle opener.

I've been using a crap piece of metal and damn near herniating myself opening these stupid things.

So, short of buying a $0.50 bottle opener at WalMart, what are my options? :mug:

If you're smoking, you might be able to do this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2003068_open-bottle-lighter.html

Always worked for me in a pinch.

Me too, until I encountered these frankenstein bottles. The lids are on so tight that I actually broke a Bic in half....and I've opened HUNDREDS with my lighters in the past!

(Edit, this was a bit dramatic....I didn't break it in half, but I did snap the bottom off so it sprayed butane everywhere)

Urp. I guess I should have searched. Thanks Yuri. On the plus side, the first thread said....BELT BUCKLE. Genius. I've tried whacking them on the edges of drawers...the handles on the drawers and cupbords don't have any sharp edges....lookd for ANYTHING I could use...never thought of the belt buckle....

Sorry...wasn't really suggesting that you search first (n00b!). I just knew there were a bunch of good suggestions already posted.

Maybe I should merge 'em!

During a session in a far away land, I once won 20 USD from a co-worker by opening a beer with the zipper of my jacket. He won it back by opening the next round with a plastic condiment bottle.

Where there's a will there's a way.

I used to use the drawer handles in the kitchen of my parent's house. My mom would get pissed at me for it, but it worked perfectly.

I also had an old POS car (1972 AMC Hornet) when I was in HS. I could use the tongue of the seat belt to open beer bottles.

Man I just used a pen. I didn't want to wake the wife so all I had in the computer room was a pen. I've used just about everything to open a beer; keys, screw driver, chisel, a quarter. You name it I've used it.

fold a piece of paper enough times, or use another beer bottle

Item #: 307103 | Model #: 34260

048661342602xl.jpg

I buy these things by the boat load for .36 cents each at lowes and givem out with my beers.

DID I MENTION MY NEW POT

Dude, I had one of those in college. Ugliest shade of yellow ever.

Are you joking? That's the same color as mine! Well, yellow and rust. It had a black hounds-tooth pattern interior... Ugly as sin.

I got it from my great aunt; she was a frail little thing, weighed about 90 pounds (I think she was bulimic, but still lived to the ripe age of 86). I got it around 1981, with under 12,000 miles on it.

She couldn't possibly have driven it, though... No power steering, no power brakes, a HUGE steering wheel, the clutch took two men and a boy standing on it to get it in, and it had a "three on the tree" shifter. It had no gas cap, and no shift knob. When I first got it, it had been sitting for about four years.

Lasted me all the way through college; when driving home after my senior year, the exhaust broke in two when I hit a bump on the highway. The broken piece then got driven up into the gas tank and started a leak. I had to have my mom come get me about 120 miles away from home.

Ah, memories...

I know it's been said a few times but lighter FTW! Even if you don't smoke, carry one around. Not only do you have essentially the perfect impromptu bottle opener but you have the option to light s**t on fire, given the opportunity.

Dial 0 on your room phone, ask the desk clerk to bring you a bottle opener, and three more pillows. Why, because you can.

Once you have the lighter trick figured out, you can use the same principle of leverage with everything around you. It's a good trick to know.

I have a pretty heavy duty ring from work for making it to Presidents Club a few years back. I use that, always works perfectly.

Dude, you need to man up and use your teeth! Then your teeth can look like mine. All rugged and sexy.

Where in G-ville did you stay?

Next time you are in Greenville - stop by the Community Tap and get a growler filled and you won't have to worry about flip-tops.

http://www.thecommunitytap.com/

Cool, never heard of that place.

I was holed up in the Hampton Inn at Haywood and I-385...about 2 miles north of the I-85/I-385 split.

I've hit up a few fun bars downtown on past trips, (Barleys and Liberty Tap Room come to mind)...but never heard of TCT. I'll have to give that a go next time I'm down. :mug:

I use my car keys. My dad showed me how, it's pretty slick.

Cool, never heard of that place.

I was holed up in the Hampton Inn at Haywood and I-385...about 2 miles north of the I-85/I-385 split.

I've hit up a few fun bars downtown on past trips, (Barleys and Liberty Tap Room come to mind)...but never heard of TCT. I'll have to give that a go next time I'm down. :mug:

It's not a bar. It strictly sells bottled beer and has about 6 taps for growlers only. But they have the best selection of craft beers in town bar none. They have only been open about a month.

Next time get a hotel down town and you can walk to bars and such. there is a farily new Hampton Inn downtown as well as a brand new Marriot Courtyard.

Latest posts

Back