Best Hops for an American Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastbaybrewer

Reaction score
I'm brewing an American Brown Ale and can't decide on which hops to use. What's everyone favorite combo?Thanks

I like Willamette or Mt Hood or Goldings in mine.. If you wanted a bit of citrus aroma like some American Browns have you could use a little Cascade.

This is the hop schedule for a 5 gallon American brown that I brew. Also known as Caribou Slobber.
1 oz US Goldings (60 min)
1 oz Liberty (45 min)
1 oz Willamette (15 min)

I haven't tasted it yet but my American brown ale is ti be bottled tonight. I used .5oz of Summit to bitter and an oz each of Ahtanum and Liberty late in the boil.

First beer I ever won an award for was an American Brown using Chinook and Willamette.
I have both of them in my freezer. I just got the Chinook and have only used the once in a ipa. Did you finish with Chinook and what do you think about some cascade with them?

I'd bitter with the Chinook and finish with the Williamette. My go to brown starts with 0.75 of Columbus and finishes with 2 oz of Williamette.

Latest posts

Back