Best homebrewing or beer related magazine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorofMuppets

brewing beer leads to happy life
Reaction score
So yeah I am in need of further bathroom reading material.
Those midwest, morebeer, williams brewing catalogs only last so long.

I am thinking of getting one or possibly two brewing magazines.

I know there are several. What is the best options?

The main one I know of is BYO. You can Google it and get some old articles that are awesome as well. My first issue will arrive in a week or so. Very excited.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

I get BYO and I really enjoy it. A lot of the articles are very interesting and well done. Zymurgy is another one that I've heard of, but I've never read any of them so I can't tell you much about it.

I get BYO and Zymurgy.

Zymurgy, I get because of my support for the AHA. It's good, but seems to be a lot of ad space in there.

BYO is usually read cover to cover. I really like the style profile by Jamil, and always great articles inside.

BYO and Zymurgy are the main two, at least as far as I'm aware. I briefly had a subscription to BYO a few years ago.

BYO seems to target new brewers and doesn't really have much value for me. Every once in a while I'll see an interesting article but for the most part it's all information that you can get, for free, on this website.

Zymurgy seems to go for a wider audience. I personally think it has more value for brewers who already know the basics of brewing. It tends to cover a wider range of material. Some of the articles can come off as pretentious - there was an article by Papazian a few months ago that just made me roll my eyes. It's also put out by the AHA, so some of the topics are topics of concern for AHA members which you may or may not care about.

Between the two, I'd pick Zymurgy.

BYO by far. I've seen so many recycled articles in zymurgy but BYO always has new fresh content that is applicable to the current state if brewing, not old outdated info on how to make a cfc

I know I'm reviving a 4 years old post but that is precisely why I'm doing it. A lot of things can change in 4 years. I'm looking to subscribe (international subscription) to a magazine and currently am between BYO and zymurgy of course... Is there anything better I've missed and if not which one should I subscribe to?

I know I'm reviving a 4 years old post but that is precisely why I'm doing it. A lot of things can change in 4 years. I'm looking to subscribe (international subscription) to a magazine and currently am between BYO and zymurgy of course... Is there anything better I've missed and if not which one should I subscribe to?
I just subbed to Craft Beer and Brewing magazine. After years of subscriptions to your same magazines I decided this one was just as good. My 2 cents.
Cheers!

Brew Your Own is still the greatest magazine. I've been a subscriber for about 18 years and still going. I read every single issue cover to cover.

Zymurgy I think is different but good, but not as good as BYO. I subscribe to that one also.

Back