Best Hangover Cures?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i heard on the radio recently that milk thistle is a hangover preventer, but i've never personally tried it.

My wife gets bad nausea the next day, so she takes motion sickness pills, that seems to work pretty well for her.

I totally agree with everybody on there water cure. I definitely drink water through out the night while I'm drinking. Then before bed a couple of big glasses and 800( 4tabs) of advil. 99% of the time I'm great the next day.

NSAIDs can cause renal (kidney) damage if taken while dehydrated. Alcohol + acetaminophen (Tylenol) is a double-hit to the liver. Only take NSAIDs the day after, and only if you have a headache after drinking copious amounts of water. Tylenol is a no-no.
That said, I like to eat as many calories as possible + water if I have a hangover. 2 cups of coffee + 2 pints of water + more water works for me. Lots of bathroom time.
Gatorade for electrolyte replacement is good, too.
Hair of the dog is the best.

For me, smoking while drinking gives me a headache in the morning even if I don't have a hangover per se. So damn hard to say no to a ciggie when I'm drinking though.

So here's my cure:

No smoking and a couple glasses of water at the end of the night and again when I get up to piss in the middle of the night along with Excedrin. That takes care of the headache. If I'm too the point where I feel like I'm gonna hurl then I go to the porcelain god and pray for chunky rain. No point in fighting it, just letting it out always makes me feel better. Then I get hungry and eat some greasy food for breakfast. No more hangover.

I might be in the minority here. I agree with drinking a crap ton of water, but when you wake up get in a long slow run, think like 5+ miles. Then shower, more water, and you're good to go. The run will feel terrible, but the rest of the day you'll be good.

Actually, you are not far off from the mark... I find that getting up and being active is the best way to get the body working again. It hurts like a b*tch for the first 2 hours but after that you are good.

NSAIDs can cause renal (kidney) damage if taken while dehydrated. Alcohol + acetaminophen (Tylenol) is a double-hit to the liver. Only take NSAIDs the day after, and only if you have a headache after drinking copious amounts of water. Tylenol is a no-no.

+1. Hydrate before you go out drinking and after drinking. And some Compazine/Zofran/Phenergan can help too the next day if you really indulged. ;)

If you look at the packaged hangover remedies you see on the counter at the convenience store, the main ingredient is commonly brewer's yeast. Drink unfiltered homebrew. :mug:

Being a paramedic and my wife an RN I have her start a line and give me a liter of Saline with a touch of Phenergan for nausea...Perks of the job=No hangovers

Being a paramedic and my wife an RN I have her start a line and give me a liter of Saline with a touch of Phenergan for nausea...Perks of the job=No hangovers

My wife's an RN also, and has recommended this, but where do you get the medical supplies?

Personally I TRY to stop drinking an hour or two before bed, and go with water, but the next day I like a couple of extra spicy bloodies, and a greasy breakfast.

The last few times I've had a hangover i eat saltines with peanut butter and put honey on it. and I drink a lot of liquids, that seems to help me out

The thought of consuming anything though when I have a bad hangover just makes me feel even sicker.

I thought I was the only one. Even the thought of water can make me sick.

Yeah, if I don't have anything to do I just sit around until I feel like I could hold a beer down. After a couple of beers I can start chasing them with glasses of water and maybe eat something. I probably should have posted this in the im a alcoholics thread. :cross:

Prevention is better than cure. You have to ask yourself "Why am I getting hungover?" My extra special brews don't give me any hangovers, provided I drink enough water. It all depends what kind of alcohol you drink.

I don't know if it has been said yet, but NO ACETOMINOPHEN (Tylenol) when you've been drinking! The combination absolutely DESTROYS your liver!

Seriously, I have medical experience. Ibuprofen can be good (and reduces swelling, which is what is causing your headaches), aspirin won't hurt, but Tylenol is NOT GOOD.

Also, +1 on Gatorade vs. water: alcohol is a diuretic, which means that you will pee more. But what is in that extra pee? electrolytes. Gatorade replaces those. I use powedered gatorade and mix half-strength and drink a **** ton of it. Plenty of electrolytes, and half the sugar (which you don't need).

Also, +1 on carb-heavy eating (big sandwich, pasta, etc.). It helps regulate all kinds of things, and gets your metabolism back on track.

Vitamin Water brand by Glaceau makes a product called "Revive" that is high in postassium and the B-vitamins - they claim that it has as much potassium as a banana. I have been drinking Revive as my "post-hangover cure" for a few years, I think it's helpful.

Potato skins also contain a fair amount of potassium, so you might consider some skin-on homefries for breakfast. Grease + Potassium = on your way to recovery.

Do hangovers qualify you for a medical marijuana card? Seems to help with nausea for sure, and makes the headache subside enough to squeeze in a few slightly spicy bloody mary's, some water, and then off to the china buffet. Although, in my opinion china buffet is good for the pre and post hangover stages.
Also it depends on the symptoms, water and sitting still for the headache and normally I like a big swig of pickle juice right from the jar to prime up the belly.

Poached egg on beans. Toast and bacon.

poachedeggonbeans.jpg

Drink water while you are drinking. If you somehow still have a hangover, eat a big breakfast with sausage, bacon, and orange juice. Those have the main vitamins you will need.

Frova + gatorade the before bed

or

Maxalt + gatorade in the morning (or sumatriptan)

Oral rehydration solution is cheaper than gatorade:
1 liter (about 1 pint) water, 4 tsp sugar 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp baking SODA. Sits much easier on the stomach than gatorade--no flavors, no artificial sweeteners, no colors.

Prevention is the best.

But we all know it happens so if you can eat without puking, a greasy meal along with gatorade works great.

The greasy meal (eggs/bacon) helps the stomach , diluted gatorade(50/50) helps with blood sugar/fluids and if you smoke ->Cannabis is a vasodilator along with easing the nausea.

But really every other drink should be a small glass of water to help prevent the hangover in the first place.

My hangover problem is always my brain going into overstimulated mode to compensate for the alcohol. Rarely have nausea, but I'm always nervous, jittery, getting the need to get up and walk/do something, and feeling generally uncomfortable - and it usually lasts all day (sometimes into the next day).

I'm still in search of good sedative that will stop the hyperstimulation without having the opposite effect. So, until I find something, best thing for me is avoiding any stimulants like crazy, desperately to take a nap, and lots of water just because I know I'm also dehydrated.

Saw this a few weeks ago and meant to post it here, but forgot until now:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,581380,00.html

Pretty neat article about separating hangover cure myth from fact.

Also, since others are sharing and because I'm bored at work my "hangovers" when I get them, are pretty much exclusively nausea. Which sucks because I HATE nausea....I'd rather the headache/jitteriness/anything else. I usually go for a bit of Pepto, as much water as I can keep down, and as much sleep as I can get.

I drink a glass of water with each "drink" (shot of whiskey, glass of wine, bottle of beer) and I rarely wake up feeling rough. Couple months ago I drank 2 bottles of wine and didn't do the water and I woke up with the worst headache. Didn't try to "cure it" figured I deserved it for #1 polishing off 2 bottles of wine late in the evening and #2 not drinking much water with it.

+1 to the above post.Additionaly I notoiced a marked improvement on the above if one eats a fair sized balanced meal ie.. peanut butter toast, sandwich and a whole **** load of tomato juice for K+ and Na+ ions. Tomato juice also contains other vitamins, minerals and ions which are usefull in recovery. Best dry heave avoidinance on the market eat big eat natural...

I'm not one for drugs so I stick to Gatorade and a big bowl of pho or pozole, depending on the severity of the hangover. So good!

Glass of water for every two beers, big glass before bed. Then, act like I am sick (not from drinking) so SWMBO feels sorry and cooks comfy food.

Before I go to bed I drink as much water as I can hold...Sometime I force hydrate and my stomach feels solid as a rock. I go to be full, but wake up just fine. As long as I remember to do this before bed I'm in the clear the next day. If tequila is involved I always take some kind of headache relief pill.

-Drink water while you're drinking beer
-Chug a bunch of water before you go to bed
-Wake up and take some advil and drink more water
-Hop in the shower
-Get something greasy to eat. I like Chinese food.

My game plan is as follows:

1. I don't drink water during drinking just beer
2. Before going to bed I slam a Gatorade
3. Wake up and shower
4. Drink a zipfiz energy drink (loads of Vitamin B)
5. Ibuprofen for headache, if needed
6. Eat breakfast with fluids

That's it. Come mid-morning I feel 100%. I think Vitamin B12, a shower and electrolytes are key.

Back