Best Hallertau Hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

left field brewer

Reaction score
I want to get something similar to Hallertau mitt. but with the vigor and yield of a hybrid. Freshops has Mt. Hood and Ultra. I haven't used either of these to know which is closer to the aroma/flavor of the original. Opinions or other suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks.

left field brewer said:
I want to get something similar to Hallertau mitt. but with the vigor and yield of a hybrid. Freshops has Mt. Hood and Ultra. I haven't used either of these to know which is closer to the aroma/flavor of the original. Opinions or other suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks.

There are many styles of Hallertau and each style has a slight difference.

Crystal - Very popular in the craft-brewing industry. Viewed as the most pungent of the new triploid Hallertau family of hops.

Liberty most closely resembles the Hallertau cultivar.

Mt Hood - General Trade Perception Perception Aroma variety with marked similarities to the German Hallertauer and Hersbrucker varieties.

Best sub im seeing is Hallertau Hersbrucker.

I myself will be growing Mt. Hood, Crystal, Sterling, Sunbeam, and Tettnanger. Sunbeam is in case my sterling wont grow well.... and Mt Hood and crystal are similarish but yet not and will give me hopefully enough hops. I deal mostly so far with german/belgian.

I love the smell of hops :D

THE U.S.D.A. HALLERTAU TRIPLOIDS ARE:
- Vanguard. Good storage characteristics. Very close chemistry and aroma to Hallaertau mf ( A personal favorite due to storagability)
- Crystal - The most aromatic of the Hallertau triploids. (A personal favorite for flavor profile)
- Liberty- Of the four troiploid Hallertau mf varieties released by the USDA, Liberty most closely resembles the Hmf cultivar
- Ultra- cross bred with Saaz and takes on its charactristics
- Mt Hood - Similar to Herbrucker and Hallertauer

Do any of you know where I can a rhizome or crown of hersbrucker? Been looking high and low for it. Thanks!

I'm not big into the European varieties any more but I do grow Mt. Hood. It is a relatively low producer in my garden, compared to some others, but it does have a beautiful 'traditional' European aroma. I've grown Tett's and Hallertau which would give me no less than about two dozen cones per plant. Like an idiot I let them go for about 10 years hoping that a 'good' growing season would come - it never did so they were eliminated some years ago. They grew well and looked very healthy, but no yield. I would suggest taking a look at this article to give you a little more ammo. before making your decision: http://inhoppursuit.blogspot.com/2010/02/hop-talk-with-hopmeister-al-haunold-buy.html . Grow, grow, grow!

The Hallertauer "sisters" all have great brew profiles (Mt. Hood is about the closest to Hallertauer M. in my opinion). Be aware that the Hallertauer genome doesn't grow like the American genome (Cascade, Centennnial, Brewers Gold family. They hate wet feet over winter and don't start rockin' until it gets hot (85 degree hot) so they tend to bear a little later in the season. Ultra is the really cool one but it the "fussiest girl" in our class of 34 kinds. With these it is truly all about location, location, location. So trial one or two before you commit to planting a bunch of them:)

Back