Best grain bill for a authentic Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christoff

Reaction score
I have been looking at recipes for a kolsch. off the top of my head, Palmer's book says ~7 lbs pilsner, 3.3 lbs vienna. Brewing classic styles says ~10 lbs Pilsner, 0.25 Lbs vienna. Radical brewing doesn't have a specific Kolsch recipe just blonde ale's. The internet is somewhere between this, with munich being thrown in there and wheat in some recipes. I find pilsner malt really boring and already have 5 gallon bartch of lager doing its lagering thing so I am reluctant to brew another pilsner recipe. Is the wyeast Kolsch enough to make a nearly all pilsner grain bill different? I also have a lot of two-row that needs to be consumed and I like this better than pils. Can I just omit vienna and go all 2-row (or 50-50) and still get that authentic ester flavour in the kolsch or would it be buried? Classic's suggests their recipe was the closest thing to germany but I fear that recipe is going to bore me given my lack of enthusiasm for pils. What is your favourite grain bill for this style? (using 1.25-1.5 oz hallertaur mittlefruh 60 min for hops). also, the two books (palmer and classic) have different mash temps - 149 or 153?

I’m with you on Pilsner malt. I still use some in my Kolsch, but I go 45/45/10 Pilsner/Vienna/Wheat, because Vienna malt is tasty.

I don’t see any problem substituting 2-row in for Pilsner, but I make a lot of German styles with pale ale malt, and the purists might recoil at the idea.

And for the purists … how about some 10L crystal malt? (No, not really.)

You want Kolsch to be highly attenuated, so I’d go for the lower mash temperature.

I've always brewed mine with pilsner, slightly over 85%, ~10% Vienna, and a little carapils for head retention. Could use a little torrified wheat instead ~3%. I also use the Hallertau Mittelfreuh @60 and add some Perle hops at 15 minutes. Mash at 148. Lager it for 30 days to really let it clear out.

I would be unlikely to brew it if I had a pilsner on deck but I brew a kolsch regularly as a light beer in my tap lineup.

My latest Kolsch used 62.5% Pilsner, 8.3% Vienna, 20.8% Pale Wheat malts, and 8.3% Flaked Oats. I used 2 ounces of Tettnanger at 20 minutes and whirlpooled 1.5 ounces of Hersbrucker hops. I mashed at 155F for an hour, then boiled to a 1.061 original gravity for an hour. It made a delightful 6.3% beer to go with Thanksgiving dinner.

I brew a Kolsch beer often and always use Schill Kolsch grain. It's very similar to pilsner and maybe not even a noticeable difference but I try to keep my Koslch as authentic as possible. The Schill grain can be hard to source sometimes so when I do find it I buy a sack of it just for that recipe. I also add Munich (10-15%) to my grain bill, but Vienna would work too.

For a yeast choice I try to use Wyeast 2575-PC when it's available. I like its flavor profile better than 2565. In a pinch a dry Kolsch yeast could work too.

I've had good comments on my version from folks that have been to Cologne Germany drinking the real thing.

I always use 90% pilsner (weyermann barke preferred), 6% white wheat, and ~3% acid malt (whatever the mash ph calls for).

And a Kölsch yeast is important. You can fine tune flavors with temperature adjustment, but kolsch is a really subtle style overall. I think Vienna can overpower it sometimes so I don't use any.

For being an ale, the is a frigging hard style to perfect. It was my gateway beer to brewing largers. I still love this style. Just tapped my latest version last night.

I agree, Kolsch yeast is important. Just as important is fermentation temperature, I keep it in the low 60's degrees through primary. Keep the Vienna at about 10%, wheat to about 3-4% and 2-3% acidulate malt. Base grain Pils (German). I bitter with Pearl and late addition with tettnanger - total IBUs low 20's. Mash at 148.

Good luck let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
My last Kölsch was 90% Pilsner, 5% Munich I, 5% Flaked Wheat, and came out very good. Used WLP029 and I agree that the yeast is very important.

Hops were a bit funky on that brew, I used what I had on hand. I went with 26 IBU of Hallertau Magnum for 60 minutes (on a 90 minute boil), and 4 IBU of Saaz at 10 minutes.

Maybe I'll try adding a small touch Vienna when I brew it again for this spring.

I also agree on mashing low. I did a 15 minute protein rest at 130 and then bumped it to 147 for 75 minutes. I usually don't bother with stepped mashes though, and I'm not sure if the protein rest was really that necessary.

Last edited:
My kolsch is now on the stove. Thanks for the help. I opted for splitting the batch with half Pilsner base and half two row. Figured I may as well decide which I like better. 73% base, 18 % Vienna and 4.5% Carafoam. The latter two were supposed to be half as much but I had a brain slip at 6am weighing my grains. 0.750z hallertau mittelfruh in each at 45 min (not a fan of the 60 min boil). And wyeast 2565 (or whatever the kolsch is). We shall see in 6 weeks. Thanks again and I’ll let you know the results.

My kolsch is now on the stove. Thanks for the help. I opted for splitting the batch with half Pilsner base and half two row. Figured I may as well decide which I like better. 73% base, 18 % Vienna and 4.5% Carafoam. The latter two were supposed to be half as much but I had a brain slip at 6am weighing my grains. 0.750z hallertau mittelfruh in each at 45 min (not a fan of the 60 min boil). And wyeast 2565 (or whatever the kolsch is). We shall see in 6 weeks. Thanks again and I’ll let you know the results.
Good Luck!

Kolsch is a great beer to brew and enjoy. I'd be interested in how your split batches turn out.

Kolsch is basically my house beer at this point. I've done all Pils malt, but have settled on 75% Pilsner, 20% Vienna and 5% Carafoam. Carafoam, not Carapils. Don't care what anyone says, they are not the same thing.

You can get GREAT flavor from Pilsner malt, especially for this style. I find Weyermann, Avangard and IREKS to be my favorite Pilsner malts.

All German Tettnanger hops. I've used Mittelfruh, but I prefer German Tettnanger.

2565 or Omega Kolsch II yeast have given me the best, cleanest Kolsch to date.

Just brewed one up this past Thursday for a competition, so fingers crossed!

Kolsch is basically my house beer at this point. I've done all Pils malt, but have settled on 75% Pilsner, 20% Vienna and 5% Carafoam. Carafoam, not Carapils. Don't care what anyone says, they are not the same thing.

You can get GREAT flavor from Pilsner malt, especially for this style. I find Weyermann, Avangard and IREKS to be my favorite Pilsner malts.

All German Tettnanger hops. I've used Mittelfruh, but I prefer German Tettnanger.

2565 or Omega Kolsch II yeast have given me the best, cleanest Kolsch to date.

Just brewed one up this past Thursday for a competition, so fingers crossed!
I like tettnanger better too unfortunately I had run out. I’m curious how the comp goes.

For being an ale, the is a frigging hard style to perfect. It was my gateway beer to brewing largers. I still love this style. Just tapped my latest version last night.

I agree, Kolsch yeast is important. Just as important is fermentation temperature, I keep it in the low 60's degrees through primary. Keep the Vienna at about 10%, wheat to about 3-4% and 2-3% acidulate malt. Base grain Pils (German). I bitter with Pearl and late addition with tettnanger - total IBUs low 20's. Mash at 148.

Good luck let us know how it goes.
I used an almost identical recipe (including mash temperature) this week, except that I used Hallertau Mittelfruh at 60 and 15 minutes to get low 20's IBU. I used Lallemand Kolsch yeast which seems to like fermentation around 66-67 F, so I am hoping that this won't be too warm for Kolsch. I will know in a couple of months, I guess.

724E317A-1C0E-47F8-A283-CF199FB51CC8.jpeg
0EB4787A-0E02-4ADA-9490-3C7F888CC8B7.jpeg

Here is my kolsch so far. The two 3 gallons are 2-row on the left and Pilsner on the right (the colour difference is accurate and not just background). The pic with a single carboy is a 5 gallon is that has a mix of the two (I remashed all the grain, through in a bit of fresh Pilsnermalt, and some corn for fun, and used Amarillo hops instead of hallertau milltelfrah. Used Saflager-23 yeast, the yellow one. The gravity sample tasted pretty good actually.)

My question… cold crash was in the mid forties on the 21, low forties on the 25, and high 30’s the last couple days (I can only control temp going up not down in my room). How long should I cold crash this? I’m reading anywhere from a week to a month. Some say it’s doesn’t even make much of a difference so don’t bother. I want to get my Japanese lager going so I need the temp in the room for a diacetyl rest soon but can wait if it will actually have an improved flavour beyond this point. Clarity doesn’t matter as much as flavour. Thoughts?

Last edited:
If Pilsner malt is boring, I have to ask what Pilsner malt. Different ones can vary greatly.

Many have said the Weyermann Barke is the bee's knees. (see, for instance this thread, or this one).
I want to say Briess but I am actually not 100% sure on this. I can report back after my next trip to the LHB if I remember to look. I did a smash with pilser and two row when I first started brewing all-grain recipes and I found it to lack a depth and highlighted a more "grassy" flavour ( I don't have a better descriptor) than the two row. My wife liked the pilsner more, so I imangine its also a matter of taste, but if there is pilsner malt out there that will provide a more rounded flavour, I definitely want to find it.

I have used Briess, Bestmalz and Weyermann floor malted, but not the Barke. The Bestmalz definitely is richer flavor than Briess. The time I used Weyermann, it was less than 20% of the grist and I can't say anything about it. I will one day get around to using Barke.

I will.

Juss you wait, enry iggins; juss you wait.

I have used Briess, Bestmalz and Weyermann floor malted, but not the Barke. The Bestmalz definitely is richer flavor than Briess. The time I used Weyermann, it was less than 20% of the grist and I can't say anything about it. I will one day get around to using Barke.

I will.

Juss you wait, enry iggins; juss you wait.
I've done blind tasting -- both of the raw malt and in SMaSH lagers, and for the life of me can't tell the difference between Pilsner malts. Other malts, yes, but not Pilsner. Maybe there are folks who can.

I did this before I discovered Crisp Hana Heritage. That tastes different to me. I bought a bag.

I've done blind tasting -- both of the raw malt and in SMaSH lagers, and for the life of me can't tell the difference between Pilsner malts. Other malts, yes, but not Pilsner. Maybe there are folks who can.

I did this before I discovered Crisp Hana Heritage. That tastes different to me. I bought a bag.
I'll take a look for that the next time I order something online. I'm 99% certain that is not what the LHB has as it doesn't ring a bell at all

I didn't like Vienna malt until I tried Weyermann Barke Vienna. That stuff is so good I'd pour milk on it and eat it for breakfast. I plan to use it in an upcoming Kölsch: 74% Bestmalz Pilsner, 18% Barke Vienna, 8% Avangard Wheat, 1% Sauermalz.
I never would have thought there would be such a difference within the same category (is that the right word?). I figured within Vienna, or pilsner, or pale malt, etc. etc. it wouldn't be too different. I can understand a quality thing, but if everything is fresh, I would have thought it would be nominal. I'm curious what are the superior companies now.

I never would have thought there would be such a difference within the same category (is that the right word?). I figured within Vienna, or pilsner, or pale malt, etc. etc. it wouldn't be too different. I can understand a quality thing, but if everything is fresh, I would have thought it would be nominal. I'm curious what are the superior companies now.
There is definitely flavor difference across different companies. It's amazing, but once you brew for awhile, you'll be able to smell the difference right out of the bag. Flavor is a whole other ball game.

I love brewing kolsch even spring. Before I built my fermentation chamber I would watch the weather and brew when we had a string of 50°-60° days and put the bucket on the porch. I used a highly rated beer smith recipe that was 75% German pilsner, 20% Vienna and 5% carapils. Hallertuer hops (60 and 20. min) and LalBrew Koln Kolsch dry yeast. While I cannot speak on the final product being worthy of comparison with the real deal, I really enjoyed these, especially as a change of pace from all those hopped up ales I would brew. I recall my neighbors had tapped a keg of Coors Light and so I filled a growler of my Holsch and brought over some for them to taste. While I have often seen them with limit pushing hoppy craft ales before, I thought a good opportunity to let them compare what is possible versus the coors keg. They loved it, like ravingly surprised as they discovered how good beer can be when malt is the star.

It's too bad you never see Kolsch on shelves unless you go to a distributor so that you can pick up some on an impulse buy. IMO it's too good a style to limit to a seasonal thing - I guess it just doesn't have the wow factor in the fight for shelf space.

I love brewing kolsch even spring. Before I built my fermentation chamber I would watch the weather and brew when we had a string of 50°-60° days and put the bucket on the porch. I used a highly rated beer smith recipe that was 75% German pilsner, 20% Vienna and 5% carapils. Hallertuer hops (60 and 20. min) and LalBrew Koln Kolsch dry yeast. While I cannot speak on the final product being worthy of comparison with the real deal, I really enjoyed these, especially as a change of pace from all those hopped up ales I would brew. I recall my neighbors had tapped a keg of Coors Light and so I filled a growler of my Holsch and brought over some for them to taste. While I have often seen them with limit pushing hoppy craft ales before, I thought a good opportunity to let them compare what is possible versus the coors keg. They loved it, like ravingly surprised as they discovered how good beer can be when malt is the star.

It's too bad you never see Kolsch on shelves unless you go to a distributor so that you can pick up some on an impulse buy. IMO it's too good a style to limit to a seasonal thing - I guess it just doesn't have the wow factor in the fight for shelf space.
That's similar to what I do for a grain bill, but I prefer Omega Kolsch II or Wyeast 2565. I tried Koln, and it was just ok.

You say you don't see Kolsch style ales distributed much by you, but it's caught on by me! I'm in CT, and every craft brewer in the state has one out right now. Some good, some bad. I prefer mine ;)

Pilsner is kind of the core flavor of a Kolsch so if that's boring, you're looking to brew something else altogether.
Generally, yes that would be true but I don't find Kolsch boring. Most of the recipes I have found seem to have munich or vienna as part of the grain bill, however Palmer's and whoever the other guy is's classic recipes book is straight up pilsner. I was worried this would be boring. My pilsner SMaSH was arguably the most boring thing I have brewed yet and I wasn't sure if the yeast would be enough for me to enjoy it. I wanted to start out and true to the style but I wasn't expexting the book to suggest straight pilsner was as close as they had tried since germany. Thought the hive mind here may be able to convice me one way or the other. I regularly drink kolsch but I also have no idea what the breweries are actually putting in theirs.

I brew a Kolsch beer often and always use Schill Kolsch grain. It's very similar to pilsner and maybe not even a noticeable difference but I try to keep my Koslch as authentic as possible. The Schill grain can be hard to source sometimes so when I do find it I buy a sack of it just for that recipe. I also add Munich (10-15%) to my grain bill, but Vienna would work too.

For a yeast choice I try to use Wyeast 2575-PC when it's available. I like its flavor profile better than 2565. In a pinch a dry Kolsch yeast could work too.

I've had good comments on my version from folks that have been to Cologne Germany drinking the real thing.
I have done a quick search of some of the bigger malt suppliers and I didn't find Schill Kolsch grain. Where do you find it when you can?

I have done a quick search of some of the bigger malt suppliers and I didn't find Schill Kolsch grain. Where do you find it when you can?
The company that owned Schill sold out to another big malting company a few years back, I think it was discontinued or maybe not imported into the US any more. I brewed some very nice Kolsch beers with it.
Weyermann makes a Cologne malt, which I haven't tried yet.
https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/weyermann-brewing-malt-type-cologne/

The company that owned Schill sold out to another big malting company a few years back, I think it was discontinued or maybe not imported into the US any more. I brewed some very nice Kolsch beers with it.
Weyermann makes a Cologne malt, which I haven't tried yet.
https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/weyermann-brewing-malt-type-cologne/
I am currently trying to find european HBS to ship to the US but haven't had any luck. I am curious if I will like Pilsner better. Thanks for this.

I didn't catch if you mentioned which maltster's pils you've tried, but certainly stick with something European and they are plenty available in the states.

Weyermann Barke
Avangard
Best Malz
Ireks

Some Kolsch recipes will have some low additions (5%) of Vienna or a touch of Melanoidin to simulate a decoction mash. No problem with doing that for some extra interest.

I didn't catch if you mentioned which maltster's pils you've tried, but certainly stick with something European and they are plenty available in the states.

Weyermann Barke
Avangard
Best Malz
Ireks

Some Kolsch recipes will have some low additions (5%) of Vienna or a touch of Melanoidin to simulate a decoction mash. No problem with doing that for some extra interest.
Any preference of these. Weyermann was mentioned here by few. I'm probably going to grab some. I'm not sure I have come across weyermann barke in my searches yet but I also dont know many places to look

I can't taste the difference between Pilsner malts from different maltsters. I've tried. Munich can be night and day. English pale, ditto. But Pilsner malts all taste the same to me.

Except for Crisp Hana Heritage, that stuff is special. I may repeat a side-by-side Pilsner SMaSH test to see just what it brings to the table.

I don't know that Hana is the best choice for Kolsch, though.

Looks like you have gotten a few other suggestions on this subject.

I did a little searching too and I don't see Schill Kolsch malt around either except for the last spot I bought a bag from, Point Brew Supply, part of O'So Brewing near Stevens Point Wisconsin. Their website still has it listed but that's not saying they have it or can get it. I just sent them an email asking so I can post back if I hear from them, but it sounds like you might have other options. Northern Brewing Supply had it at one time too but I havent shopped with them in years.

I believe I read somewhere that Cargill bought up the Schill malting company but looking now I can confirm that. Businesses are constantly changing hands.

Personally, I have not tried other malts for my Kolsch but it looks like I might be. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

1676034426629.png

Last edited:
Any preference of these. Weyermann was mentioned here by few. I'm probably going to grab some. I'm not sure I have come across weyermann barke in my searches yet but I also dont know many places to look
I did a search on Northern Brewing Supply, and I see they list a lot of Weyerman malts, you might find something with them.

I did a search on Northern Brewing Supply, and I see they list a lot of Weyerman malts, you might find something with them.
Me and NB are rather on the outs lol I have found weyermann in a couple places, but not Barke so far. If NB would actually crush their grains, I may be more inclined to give them another shot. I'm guessing they are partially responsible for my inconsistent efficiencies.

Looks like you have gotten a few other suggestions on this subject.

I did a little searching too and I don't see Schill Kolsch malt around either except for the last spot I bought a bag from, Point Brew Supply, part of O'So Brewing near Stevens Point Wisconsin. Their website still has it listed but that's not saying they have it or can get it. I just sent them an email asking so I can post back if I hear from them, but it sounds like you might have other options. Northern Brewing Supply had it at one time too but I havent shopped with them in years.

I believe I read somewhere that Cargill bought up the Schill malting company but looking now I can confirm that. Businesses are constantly changing hands.

Personally, I have not tried other malts for my Kolsch but it looks like I might be. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

View attachment 812283
Thanks. I am looking into those too. That Schill sounded interesting though. Still looking for W. Barke. Ill take a look at those companies you mentioned. Thanks

best grain for authentic kolsch???

umm....German kolsch malt? hard to find but it's what you want if you want authentic. I personally mix it 50/50 with pilsner since by sack of kolsch will not last forever and getting more will be difficult.

yeast...kolsch yeast? it's available. It's what I use. K-97 would be an acceptable substitute. But it's not a kolsch strain

No-defunct GigaYeast-021 was my fav. Nice light white wine esters. I have to go back to WY2565 now. K97 and Lalemand Koln were uninspiring. To me.

Back