Best fridge to get for corny kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 165400

Reaction score
So I have just started to get Keg equipment and I have every thing needed except the fridge. Living in Chicago we don't have a lot of room but I would love to get something that can hold two kegs. I've looked on Craig's list and most everything is a little more than I want to spend, comes with stuff I already have, etc.

Doing research here and on other sites it seems like the best fridges for this (Sanyo and Danby) are discontinued. So I was wondering if any one else has gotten anything recently that worked well. Right now I don't want a tower or anything on top. I have picnic taps and I'm fine with that for now, eventually I would get a tower put in. Only mod I would want right now is to be able to install a better temp control unit.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

If you're thinking that you're going to use a better temp controller anyway, I'd go for a small chest freezer. You might have an easier time finding that on CraigsList.

I recently picked up a Danby mini fridge from Costco. About $120, fits two cornys and 5 lb co2 tank, 4.4 cuft I think. I went with the picnic taps for a little while but I started to hate them pretty quickly. I was able to mod the fridge and build a cheapo tap tower from PVC. I'm happy with it.

This model fridge came without the freezer compartment so it was nice not having to worry about that.

Kcv5ujZ.jpg

The big things to look for are if it will fit the kegs, and that the fridge is cooled from the back, as opposed to having a freezer at the top. I went with a Danby 4.4 CF DAR044A4BDD. Needed a bit of modification on the door, but works fantastic! If you are looking to do a few batches at a time, then a chest freezer is the way to go, but typically needs a bit more modification, however the ability to carb a few extra kegs at temperature while you have some on tap is awesome, not to mention much more variety.

If you're thinking that you're going to use a better temp controller anyway, I'd go for a small chest freezer. You might have an easier time finding that on CraigsList.

Yeah I thought about that. Thanks!

I recently picked up a Danby mini fridge from Costco. About $120, fits two cornys and 5 lb co2 tank, 4.4 cuft I think. I went with the picnic taps for a little while but I started to hate them pretty quickly. I was able to mod the fridge and build a cheapo tap tower from PVC. I'm happy with it.

This model fridge came without the freezer compartment so it was nice not having to worry about that.

Kcv5ujZ.jpg

What model did you get?

Every now and again, you can find a deal on a small upright freezer (front opening), that's only the height of a chest freezer...these are ideal in my mind. Buy or build a temp controller and you're in business. They'll usually fit four corneys and you can put a tap tower on top. The downsides of a standard (top opening) chest keezer IMO, are the front mounted tap handles and having to lift your kegs up over the side of the keezer to drop them in.

Latest posts

Back