Best compliment you've received?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Hey, this is actually really good. D@mn Joe, you made actual really good beer!" from my "Lost a lot of friends due to his no filter" brother in law. Lol

I was at a homebrew club meeting and the head brewer for a local brewery tried my barleywine. He really enjoyed it and started talking to the guy next to us.

Pro brewer: Hey, you really have to try his beer.

Club member: I actually just got back from the doctor and he said I need to limit my alcohol consumption. (I don't remember the reason)

Pro brewer: You can start your diet tomorrow. Try his beer!

🤗

My ipa hating, brown ale and darker friend just texted after trying my latest ipa.

"I really like that ipa."

That's a big one in my book.

Mine is a bit odd. Seasoned homebrewer of similar ilk to myself...KISS but make good beer...had my Dark Mild that is basically a 3-season house beer for me. We were at the track after a successful day one of racing with 8 hours of racing to go the next day so most of us are taking it pretty easy on the consumption:

"I could drink this all night...actually I could drink this all winter."

Me "It is only 3% alcohol so why not?"

"Yeah, lets bring the keg to our paddock and tell lies around the fire."

His team won his class the next day.

A buddy of mine, who's a big porter fan in general, had his wife set up a blind taste test between my porter and Bell's. He preferred mine!

It was affirming, because I honestly thought the same thing, but hadn't tried them side by side.

I knew a guy once that would drink my beers.
I mean, he's still alive and all

Had the main yeast guy come to a club meeting a couple months ago. I used his yeast to make a belgian blonde ale and he said it was "a very nice beer" and "could drink it all day on a hot summer day" That's probably my claim to fame compliment but the best I've gotten from beer drinkers is "it tastes like something I'd buy in the store." Which is pretty much as good as you can get!

As long as I make beer I think is good I can keep complimenting myself all day long. Hahaha.

Had a guy tell me he would forsake all other beers except Rogue Hazelnut Nectar and my pale ale/summer smash. Can't say I agree with him.

Went to my in-laws tonight for "beer-30". Aka, all of their friends coming over for apps and drinks. I brought two growlers of homebrew (a black ipa and honey blonde ale). Two people at two separate times asked me what brewery I bought the blonde ale at (blank growler) because they wanted to go pick some up. Really awesome feeling! Although, the black ipa is probably my favorite beer I've ever made so that was kinda funny that no one really mentioned it.

A couple of coworkers are on the 'bottomless 4 pack' program; keep bringing back the empties and I'll refill from stock with whatever I have around. We work in a high stress industry so drinking is a usual thing.

I heard a few weeks ago that making it into the 4 pack club was akin to entering some sort of inner circle among the office politics (which I don't have time for). But it made me smile.

A friend of mine once said he disliked my IPA equally as much as most commercial IPAs. I guess that means I'm doing something right! haha

Got a good score on untapped by a friend or a friend (whom I don't know). This gentleman is also a member of a beer group on FB so at least I know he drinks good beer ;)

"My teeth didn't fall out after I drank it"

It was only my second beer. I've yet to make a beer I'm really comfortable sharing yet.

Donated a keg of Nelson IPA for a local brew fest and they killed it. Best compliment I could have received.

I've got a stout recipe I've been refining for a couple years now - 2 iterations back, I entered it in a competition that was judged, among others, by an area LHBS and Brewery owner. He didn't score it particularly highly - but he found me afterward to explain.

He told me that it wasn't quite to American Stout style, but (and this is where the comment comes in): he emphatically told me "Don't change a thing! This beer isn't 100% to style, but it's damn near perfect for what it is." I've since shared a bomber with him of newer iterations, to the exact same advice (little does he know I've been making very minor tweaks - but nothing that's intended to impact flavor).

I brought in some bottles of Texan Punk Monk to the office a few weeks ago since some of the folks I work with found out I brew and wanted to try it. My boss came back the next day and started telling me about how my beer wasn't good homebrew, it was one of the best beers he's ever had. I was thinking he was just being nice and all that, thanked him for his nice comments and went back to work.

Next thing I knew I can hear him talking to one of our offsite guys about my beer. Then to another. Fast forward to last week when I was asked to brew up the only beer to be served at our upcoming company BBQ. I feel special.

I've got a stout recipe I've been refining for a couple years now - 2 iterations back, I entered it in a competition that was judged, among others, by an area LHBS and Brewery owner. He didn't score it particularly highly - but he found me afterward to explain.

He told me that it wasn't quite to American Stout style, but (and this is where the comment comes in): he emphatically told me "Don't change a thing! This beer isn't 100% to style, but it's damn near perfect for what it is." I've since shared a bomber with him of newer iterations, to the exact same advice (little does he know I've been making very minor tweaks - but nothing that's intended to impact flavor).

If you could share the recipe I would be truly grateful

Back