Best class of the year:)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufessor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Time to learn a little something about enzymes, conversion of starch into sugar, effects of temperature on enzymes, etc. What better example than the mashing of grain in the brewing process? Some groups mash with ice water, some at 155, some maintain boil or close through out. Sample the wort before and after the mash. Take hydrometer readings. Come up with explanations as to the differences in taste, appearance, gravity readings. We also watch the episode of BrewMasters on Chicha..... nice combination of information on enzymes and something pretty entertaining.

I do have to remind them (HS Seniors) that we are only making "wort", we are not making "beer.":mug:

IMG_0622.jpg

Awesome...of course, on the other hand you are showing HS seniors that, if you do everything I showed you in class and then were to add some yeast, in a few weeks you would have beer. But, who am I to say anything, my 3 year old loves to help me brew.

Awesome...of course, on the other hand you are showing HS seniors that, if you do everything I showed you in class and then were to add some yeast, in a few weeks you would have beer. But, who am I to say anything, my 3 year old loves to help me brew.

True, I suppose. But, actually, without sanitizing anything or boiling anything I am pretty sure whatever they ended up with would be more in line with a "cure" to ever wanting to drink beer:) It would be similar to thinking that "all you have to do to make wine is throw some yeast in some fruit juice you made for breakfast."

Plus, by the time you are taking biology classes for college credit..... you really ought to understand processes (and applications) like cellular respiration and fermentation.

If you are just showing them how to make wort, why are you adding hops?

I think i see a jar containing NB hops?

Just made wort. Took gravity readings, made observations, dumped it.

Hops were just there because they asked what they were and what they had to do with beer, why they always heard about them in beer commercials.

Yeast was there so we could look at some under the microscope.

Cool.

I talked fermentation with my youngest boy a lot. He helped me with the everything since he was 10. I know culturing an interest in biology and chemistry of brewing can be fruitful.

He's at Univ of FL now, graduates with a degree in biochemistry next year, and (assuming MCATs go well) starts medical school. He now knows a LOT more about the cellular respiration cycle and rates of enzymatic reactions than I ever will. Last weekend he was describing sorting DNA strands using gel electrophoresis. So cool.

Cool.

I talked fermentation with my youngest boy a lot. He helped me with the everything since he was 10. I know culturing an interest in biology and chemistry of brewing can be fruitful.

He's at Univ of FL now, graduates with a degree in biochemistry next year, and (assuming MCATs go well) starts medical school. He now knows a LOT more about the cellular respiration cycle and rates of enzymatic reactions than I ever will. Last weekend he was describing sorting DNA strands using gel electrophoresis. So cool.

I hear you there..... I have visited with former students who went on to major in/go on to grad. school in Biochemistry or similar fields. It is amazing what they know and what they can do. I feel pretty well embarrassed sometimes when they tell me about some of the things they are doing, and the technology they are using. Sometimes I just have to basically say : "Um, I don't even know what you are talking about." It is crazy what is coming out of the biotech fields and work with DNA.:mug:

I figured out more about math and biology because of brewing than what I ever retained from school. I liked bio, but it didn't stick with me.

I majored in English and the last time I took math was my junior year of high school. It makes more sense when you have a real life example of things!

Still, do you get any flack from administration or parents?

Nothing makes a parent as proud as their kid's successes...much better than our own successes IMO.

Nothing makes a parent as proud as their kid's successes...much better than our own successes IMO.

^^ a bit of a coincidence maybe, but Alex (the one I mentioned above) knows John / jcav. Small world!

Yep. I'm bursting with pride for all 3 of mine - wanna brag all the time. My kids are >> than me. In a very real sense I live forever through them, so they are the most important thing to me. Sorry for the ramble.

^^ a bit of a coincidence maybe, but Alex (the one I mentioned above) knows John / jcav. Small world!

Yep. I'm bursting with pride for all 3 of mine - wanna brag all the time. My kids are >> than me. In a very real sense I live forever through them, so they are the most important thing to me. Sorry for the ramble.

That's great news Andrew, heck when I read your post and what Alex has been doing lately I am proud of him too! You and your wife did a great job raising your children. My three also have excelled and it certainly is a great feeling seeing your kids do well as they become adults and evolve into successful, quality human beings!

John

Back