Best cheap commercial beer you've ever had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Killian's red is priced about the same as the BMC's and is pretty good for the money. We don't get it here in WI, but I really like Yuengling's Black & Tan.

AFA price vs. drinkability: Yeungling has it all - their Light Lager is light years ahead of Bud Light. Their Lager is light years ahead of Bud. Its cheap, and there are choices like porter and Black & Tan to choose from. IMO, Yeungling is the great American Lager, not Bud.

Yuengling is the go to beer in a pinch. I always have it on hand. I love the Gaelic Ale from Highlands Brewing, it's cheap and tasty as hell. Also Sierra Nevada Pale Ale rocks and almost always have it on hand as well

I don't personally think of it as a cheap commercial beer, it's definitely a commercial beer, but I think Sam Adams Boston Lager is a great brew.

Yuengling Lager or Yuengling Black & Tan. Bluepoint Blueberry ale is great when I'm looking for something fruity. When I'm looking for something really cheap, Labatt Blue is okay.

cheap and tasty = Lionshead (plus they have picture puzzles under the caps!)

cheap and getting ****housed = I gotta go with Natural Delight (am i gonna get banned from this forum now? im sorry but you can't beat a 30 rack for $13.50)

beer for me is essentially to get drunk or at least a buzz, so high alcohol content weighs heavily.

steel reserve is twice the alcohol content as other commercial beers, and is cheaper than the budwieser/miller/coors styles.

plus, its a lot maltier and hoppier than most commercial beers so for my palate, works a lot better

Carib Royal Extra Stout- Imported 6.5% ABV Milk Stout, cheaper than Yuengling Black and Tan.

Yuengling for me, it's ubiquitous around here, costs the same as BMC, and was the second beer I ever tried. Black and Tan fresh in a clean tap is like a little slice of heaven in a glass.

High School days: Old Dutch, Pearl, Little Kings
College days: Genesse Cream Ale, Goebel, Rolling Rock, Meisterbrau
Nowadays: PBR if it's the only thing around (I stopped drinking cheap beer) :fro:

I refuse to drink beer from the big breweries. And price is relevant. But my "go to" beer is definitely Torpedo by Sierra Nevada. I absolutely love it. Yes it is a big(ger) brewery, but they are sparing no expense on the ingredients and the price stays (here) at just over $7 a 6pack.

If I am looking for a BMC priced beer, its Lebatt Blue. I usually cough up the extra $2 and get Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Sam Adams.

I wish I could find Yuengling in Maine. Throughout the forums it seems to be well liked, but I have never tried it...I guess I need to get down to New York or PA.

If I'm going commercial can lager on a float trip or something, it's usually peebers all though the "trendiness" of the beer seems to have inflated its price locally.

If it was available locally, I enjoyed yuengling. A buddy of mine went to DC recently and brought me back a 12 pack of it, I had never had one but he told me it's the east coast cheap lager of choice. Not a bad beer at all.

I vote Genesee Cream Ale for my cheap session beer... Nothing bad happens to me when I drink it... 3.83 after tax for a 6 pack of pints here...

"Genesee Bock Beer"
Is that the white can just labelled Genesee Beer? its not bad but I prefer the Cream Ale... I came here to put a vote in for Genesee didn't know it wouldn't need my help :p

I've heard it called Old Man Ale for being the choice of beer for grandfathers...

Cheap commercialized craft(ish) I like is Dundee and yeah I know its the same company as Genesee... not a bad product though...

Fat Cat

fat-cat-beer1-400x300.jpg

tyraindreams said:
I vote Genesee Cream Ale for my cheap session beer... Nothing bad happens to me when I drink it... 3.83 after tax for a 6 pack of pints here...

"Genesee Bock Beer"
Is that the white can just labelled Genesee Beer? its not bad but I prefer the Cream Ale... I came here to put a vote in for Genesee didn't know it wouldn't need my help :p

I've heard it called Old Man Ale for being the choice of beer for grandfathers...

Cheap commercialized craft(ish) I like is Dundee and yeah I know its the same company as Genesee... not a bad product though...

No the white can is just regular genny lager.

The bock beer is their take on a traditional bock & as such they only release it in limited quantities in the spring time. I want to say it comes around sometime close to the end of february. Comes in a green & yellow retro looking can with a prancing goat on it... really cool looking. Its gained popularity the last few years, prices went from 5.99 a 12 pack to 7.99 this past year. Even @ 7.99 its really a good buy

When SWMBO and I want something cheap but tasty, we usually go for one of the mass produced German lagers that our neighborhood liquor store always seems to have on sale. Most weeks we can count on Spaten, Paulaner, Warsteiner, or DAB being in the neighborhood of $9-10 for a 12 pack, sometimes considerably less.

Otherwise, we'll hit some Negra Modelo or Bohemia.

when i was working for the park service in the smokies, i drank a beer called southpaw all the time. it was as cheap as keystone, but i thought it was better. haven't see it in ten years as i moved back after my intership.

now my cheap beer is a busch beer for sure. nothing wrong with it, cheap, and it accomplishes for me what i set out to do if i buy some. still won't go fishing without busch beer.

.... still won't go fishing without busch beer.

Aha! So I'm not the only one. When I go to Florida it is large quantities of Busch. At the 7-11 it is cheaper than Cokes. I have to work through the first couple, but after that they go down like PBR's.

Back