Best cheap commercial beer you've ever had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Throwing this out there, not quite commercial but Schlafly is available EVERYWHERE in St. Louis. I had their special release American IPA last night. I TORE through that 6 pack, a delicious dry finish and great aroma. Try it if you get a chance to...

images

Essers Best - in 1/2 barrel form
At least in Madison WI its the same price as Keystone ($50) and tastes like a craft beer. Funny thing about it when its in a 6 pack of bottles it runs in the $6-7 range, just like any other craft beer. Hooray for volume discounts!
** I keep a barrel in my Kegerator** hopefully soon next to my own brews

drathbone said:
30 cans of Genesee Cream Ale for $11.50. Can't beat it, it's a decent drink.

11.50? Jesus that's a great price, where do you live/buy it? Best we get in the rochester/buffalo area is usually 13 or 14.99 a 30 pack.....

schlafly's also available in illinois, kentucky, tennessee, kansas, indiana and the northern part of mississippi. also, they just expanded in iowa, i think. not totally sure about that though.
no, i don't work for them, just think they make damn fine beer in st. louis, and i want everyone to know it!

Here in Vermont, Switchback is a beer that is in almost every bar. You can only get it on draft but it is pretty good for the usual cheap price. You'll probably find Switchback in more places than Budweiser in this state.

kegdawg said:
+1, a bar close to me has Ice House on tap...basically free on happy hour

Session Dark Lager is one of mine...cant beat $8.88 for a twelver

Nice price on the Session...and here Albertson's had me thinking they're $10.99 twelve-piece was a special. Always a safe pick on the Session Lager.

+1, a bar close to me has Ice House on tap...basically free on happy hour

Session Dark Lager is one of mine...cant beat $8.88 for a twelver

I got a headache just reading Ice House...arrrghh...another headache. :cross:

11.50? Jesus that's a great price, where do you live/buy it? Best we get in the rochester/buffalo area is usually 13 or 14.99 a 30 pack.....

Where do you get a 30 pack at all? I only know of one place to get Genesee and that's at my local corner shop and they only have 6 packs of pint cans. I could probably just ask the company though that's what I did with Dundee and they sent me a list of everywhere in 20 miles to get Dundee and what product each place stocked...

I was pretty blown away myself. I live in Southwest VA and I found it while I wandering around at a Kroger in Roanoke, VA. I dunno if it was a special sale or what, but I haven't found a 30 rack under $15 in years, let alone a brew that's actually decent and worth drinking among the cheap stuff.

I consider any light lager style cheap beer thus...the best for me is Labatt Blue. I think it's clearly the tastiest of it's kind.

I got a headache just reading Ice House...arrrghh...another headache. :cross:

Ohhhhh, it ain't THAT bad!!!!....haha I'm a college student who prefers not to bring homebrew to parties so people who don't appreciate it want it.

And to stay on topic, since I live in Minnesota, about 6 miles from Summit Brewery, their E.P.A. is one of my go-to's

i like this: pour 16-24oz MB ice in glass & add 3-4oz samual smith's imperial stout. i also do this with strong ipa. ....ok..i'm the cheapest guy on earth.

Has anyone ever had Hong Kong Beer? Thats seriously the only English writing on the can, "HONG KONG BEER." Everything else is in Chinese.

For what it is, a rice lager, and for the price ($1.25 for a can, which is very very cheap in New York), I have to say its pretty fantastic.

I just started home brewing and my first brew (its a cream ale) has been in the bottles for a week. I had to finally create an account to support Genesee Cream Ale. I moved to Virginia from Rochester a few months ago and was so happy to see 30 packs in every grocery store here. Its around $14 I think. I've had to cut back on how much I drink it because now I need to collect bottles to put my brew in.

Plus I live in the south so Gennys is harder to get as I can only find 24 oz cans and a six pack at publix. But I buy it all the time and its a really solid cheap beer.

PBR 24 pack cans 11.99 here been drinking it fpor years, and if im feeling expensive cheep 12 pack bottles PBR for 7.99.

Altho I have not drank "cheep beer" in 3 months or so im on hella craft brews, and my home brews right now.

gennesee bock beer. avalalbe in the spring in my home town its rich and malty for7 bucks a 12 pack I usually grab 3 oor so cases

Tecate when we are sailing. Best beer in a can we can find. Rumor has it New Belgium is working on on cans though.

this may of already been commented on (I didn't read the whole thread). I actually saw an add online from New Belgium that featured a can beer. I thought "hell yes".

Mexican restaurant up the street has Shiva IPA (Asheville Brewing Company - great local craft brewery) for $3.50/32oz pour! Don't know why or how, but I'm loving it.

Otherwise Yuengling can work in a pinch

this may of already been commented on (I didn't read the whole thread). I actually saw an add online from New Belgium that featured a can beer. I thought "hell yes".

Fat Tire's been in cans for years, and it's actually quite a bit better in cans than in bottles. They can condition Fat Tire, even though the bottled version is force carbed. I started seeing Ranger in cans for the first time earlier this year, maybe late last year. And one of their newer offerings (may be seasonal), Shift pale lager, is only in cans I believe.
Regardless, I'd hardly call NB cheap, canned or bottled. But good for sure.

I think tonight's "Best Cheap Beer" award should go to Moose Country in the St. Paul burbs. Thursday night, 80 cent Mich Golden drafts.... a ten spot guarantees a headache. Can't beat that with a mash paddle!! :ban:

Being in Australia, our beer is pretty much double or more than American prices! It's bull****!
In the last 20 months I've tried 310 different beers (hard task aswell as I live in the most isolated city in the world)

Best/cheapest is probably: negro modello

Latest posts

Back