Best Commercial/Major Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worlddivides

Reaction score
After reading the "Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?" thread, I thought we needed a "Best Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?" thread.

Personally I think that all microbreweries and craft breweries should be excluded. Partially because they're, as expected, excluded from the worst beer thread, and also because I think this should just be focused on the more major beers that are good.

For me, my favorite major beer is Kirin Ichiban Shibori on tap, which is one of Japan's 3 biggest beer companies and one of their flagship lagers. They apparently also brew it here in the US, but the Kirin Ichiban Shibori you can get in the US doesn't taste anything like the stuff you can get in Japan, unfortunately.

Guinness is a close runner-up. Not my favorite stout, but definitely my favorite major label stout.

What non-craft non-micro "major brewery" beer do you think is the best you've ever had? :tank:

Old Milwaukie’s Beast....

Followed by Fresh Squeezed IPA from Descutes....

But Sam Adams Boston Lager is hard to beat from a major brewery... but alas - they consider themselves craft...

Molson "Liquid Kick Ass" Ice? Yea... Thats the ticket...

Pilsner Urquell is a beer that I have always liked if I can get it on tap somewhere and it has been handled well.

Another one I have had on some occasions when I have been out in the boston area is Sam Adams Boston ALE (not lager). Several times that I had that on tap, fresh I thought it was really an enjoyable beer. Boston Lager too if it is on tap and fresh.

It is not a bad thing to be a major brewery in most other countries. They typically make good beer. It's a mostly American macro phenomenon to make cheap crappy bland beer and pump all their money into marketing and advertising.

For me:

From England, Fullers.

From Germany, Weihenstephaner, though they all make spot-on beers per those styles.

From Belgium, again anyone especially trappists, these brewers have also been perfecting these recipes and methods for centuries.

But then it begs the question, when you're talking "major" American breweries, the line between macro and micro has been blurred, to where they seem to be more stylistic/quality descriptors than size ones. There are some huge breweries like Sierra Nevada that we consider craft/micro/quality, that have become macro in size.

So if you're talking size, I would definitely say Sierra Nevada. If you want more macro-style, I guess Yuengling, as they're devoid in flavor but a fairly well-made beers.

So if you're talking size, I would definitely say Sierra Nevada. If you want more macro-style, I guess Yuengling, as they're devoid in flavor but a fairly well-made beers.

I love Sierra Nevada myself, but I think they're really on the edge between craft beer/microbrewery and macrobrewery. I can't really say they aren't a "major brewery" because they are. Probably the biggest "craft style" brewery in the entire country.

So I'll give it to you. :cross:

Pearl and PBR just because they bring back really foggy memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I like PBR. I think it is a great adjunct lager. (to me it tastes better out of a tall can than any other form some reason)

Hard to say where to draw the line, but I do like Guinness when in the right mood. Especially while watching baseball in the fall... Not sure why.

It is not a bad thing to be a major brewery in most other countries. They typically make good beer. It's a mostly American macro phenomenon to make cheap crappy bland beer and pump all their money into marketing and advertising.

For me:

From England, Fullers.

From Germany, Weihenstephaner, though they all make spot-on beers per those styles.

From Belgium, again anyone especially trappists, these brewers have also been perfecting these recipes and methods for centuries.

But then it begs the question, when you're talking "major" American breweries, the line between macro and micro has been blurred, to where they seem to be more stylistic/quality descriptors than size ones. There are some huge breweries like Sierra Nevada that we consider craft/micro/quality, that have become macro in size.

Everything about this post is the correct answer.

Rampant Imperial IPA from NB is amazing, real easy to find and for the price its my go to!

Back