Best Brewing Books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPBurdell

Reaction score
What are some of the best books on brewing? Not just recipe books, but books on the nuts and bolts of brewing. Amazon offers a great number of books, but all seem to be highly rated. Trying to find the best one to take my brewing to the next level.

GPBurdell

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Christmas Saison
Bottle: English Amber Ale

I'd say that if you already know what you are doing in the kitchen, and want to learn how to create recipes, then something like Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels might be a good choice.

This is not a recipe book, but a book describing styles, histories, and guidelines for creating your own unique beers.

Is that the kind of thing you are after? Sorry, I just wasn't clear on what you meant by "nuts and bolts" and "taking it to the next level".

-walker

That sounds like a great book and one that I'll be sure to purchase. But I was thinking more on the science and techniques of brewing. A zymotology primer, if you will. I've been brewing for about 10 years but I want to take my brewing to the next level and realize that I need to know more about the science and art.

Thanks for the input though.

GPBurdell

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Christmas Saison
Bottles: English Amber Ale

Just a reminder....if you want to buy a book (or books) form Amazon, click the "Homebrewing Books" link at the top of the page. Some of the money will go to support this site.

I just started to read brew chem 101, not sure if that what you what or how good it is. I will report back when I am done.

Back