Best beer for homegrown hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalaloch

Reaction score
I haven’t brewed beer for a few years, I’ve been making wine and hard cider. I have been growing hops for years and have 8 hop bines (im guessing I’ll end up with 100 hops or so not sure of the lbs) but never brewed with them yet.

I am wondering what is a good light IBU beer that I can still use my homemade hops in. I know it’s a contradiction to want a low IBU with fresh hops but it’s what I prefer. Is it best to dry hop at the end? Any recipe links are appreciated.

I did a couple of low ibu blonde ales earlier this summer. I think there's some good recipes on this site. I saved my hops for late additions and even dry hopped lightly. That probably strays from the bounds of a proper blonde, but I got some nice hop flavor and aroma without a lot of bitterness.

Everytime I've used my grown hops, I use them as late addition and dry hops. Mainly because I can only estimate the alpha acid content. So hit your IBU target with pellet hops and then use the whole cone hops at the end.

I highly recommend a recipe on here for Da Yoopers Haus Pale Ale that I have made many times using my homegrown cascade. I use purchased pellet hops for the first hop addition for bittering since the IBUs are known, and use mine for the rest. A couple changes - I don‘t do the 5min and flameout additions, and use a different yeast (Wyeast 1450) . It’s one of my all time favorites and a great way to showcase cascade.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/da-yoopers-house-pale-ale.100304/Sorry, I followed a link from another thread to here and didn’t realize this is in the extract forum and this recipe is all grain.

Last edited:
I just did a simple one with cascade hops out of my garden. I did a 2 gallon batch but you can multiply to make it bigger:

0.5lbs victory malt - steep for 20 minutes ~160F
3lbs Light dry malt extract (I added half after steeping and the rest with about 10 minutes left in the boil)
0.5 oz cascade - 60 min
0.5 oz cascade - 15 min
0.5 oz cascade - 0 min
Safale 05 yeast

Came out very drinkable and refreshing with a good balance of hops and little biscuit from the malt. It wasn't very hop forward, you should dry hop it if you really want your hops to shine through.

I haven’t brewed beer for a few years, I’ve been making wine and hard cider. I have been growing hops for years and have 8 hop bines (im guessing I’ll end up with 100 hops or so not sure of the lbs) but never brewed with them yet.

I am wondering what is a good light IBU beer that I can still use my homemade hops in. I know it’s a contradiction to want a low IBU with fresh hops but it’s what I prefer. Is it best to dry hop at the end? Any recipe links are appreciated.
i grow my own too. i am having really good luck growing Crystal. first season from a rhizome i ended up with 2 pounds. I brewed a pale using locally sourced white wheat, soured it (goodbellys- pomegranate/blackberry), and secondaried with wild blackberries around our property and added a little hibiscus tea.. used the Crystal i grew. absolutely amazing beer . nice and tart and lots of flavor...good pool beer.

Back