Best advanced hombrew setup for me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Afrey1143

Reaction score
Living in the Midwest: you don't need to see much more than the condensation on the car windshield in the morning, to know winter is right around the corner.
So as winter shows itself once more, I'm becoming concerned. Along with the transition from extract to all grain brewing, came the move from indoors to outdoors. I'm using the igloo cooler style system for my all grain setup with a 20 gallon Polarware kettle.
But the problem is, i will not be attempting to brew in -20degree temps, or in the snow!

I cant brew in the basement. Many may be aware that propane's naturally tendency is to fall in atmospheric pressure. And having an open flame for the furnace only a few feet away is a real concern! Not taking that chance!
I'm stuck between the idea of renting a storage unit just for my brewing, and trying to switch to electric heating options.
I have no problem with spending money on a new setup, my mouths watering on my Blichmann wishlist!

I'm wondering if people have had any success with electric all grain brewing? Iv seen the heat sticks people make. But creating an electrical short in a body of liquid just seems kinda dangerous.... (touch the SS stir paddle and the stove handle and where does that current go?!?!)

The other option i saw was the Boil Coil, but despite my willingness to spend money, $500 for a power controller to run it just seems like a crazy rip off!

I know there are other people who live in cold weather regions brewing year round, looking forward to hearing your tricks and techniques!

Most people seem to just brew in a garage or shed with the door partially open. Do NOT use propane in a basement or closed building. It literally can kill you. The furnance is not really an issue, but the carbon monoxide is deadly.

There is a whole electric brewing forum here if you want to go that route. A GFCI circuit is a must and will protect against most water related issues.

I brew inside during the winter months...using propane too. I just make damn sure I do a good job ventilating. A couple of fans to move air in and out of your brew area, make sure nothing is too close to your burner, and cold wet rags/towels on stand by. :rockin:

Most people seem to just brew in a garage or shed with the door partially open. Do NOT use propane in a basement or closed building. It literally can kill you. The furnance is not really an issue, but the carbon monoxide is deadly.

There is a whole electric brewing forum here if you want to go that route. A GFCI circuit is a must and will protect against most water related issues.

Both of these are issues and both are reasons to not use the portable propane tanks indoors. A small leak of propane will gradually fill the basement as propane is heavier than air. This fact coupled with the fact that propane has a much wider range of flammable mixtures could cause an explosion when the propane reaches the furnace. Don't bring your portable propane into any closed building.

I do most of my brewing in the winter and like you, I don't want to deal with winter temperatures outside because here the temperatures can reach -40 or colder. With that in mind, I brew smaller batches on my kitchen stove mostly. My stove can handle making a 5 gallon batch but the 2 1/2 gallon batches are so much eaiser to handle that those are what I prefer. When the boil is done, the pot goes into a plastic tub with ice water to chill and at -20, it chills pretty fast. Using BIAB, I can do a 60 minute mash and a 60 minute boil and have the wort chilled and ready to pitch the yeast in about 3 1/2 hours. I think I could do two in a day if I wanted but being the only beer drinker (and quite modest at that, one or possibly 2 a day) I can stock up my bottles to last all summer with just occasional batches.

Not sure what indoor/outdoor options are available to you, but I run a hybrid system. My HLT is electric so the first half of my process can be done in the garage with the door closed, then when I boil I use propane. Just open the garage door during that part of the process. Still debating going electric on the boil, just got to convert the BK for an element. I do really like the temp control with electric on the HLT. It really is set it and forget it. For me I've only got the garage door open for an hour and a half to bring it up to a boil and then to boil. Adding hops is the only part that would make me take my gloves off in the cold weather.

I didn't want to brew outside in the winter either so immediately went with an electric setup. Yes people have success with this setup. Check out theelectricbrewery.com to find out more.

I live in Buffalo, NY. I brew in my garage.

I generally brew Feb-Nov. I take a few months off around the Holidays.

The brewing is not that bad in the cold. It's tougher to maintain mash temperatures, and occasionally my hose will freeze up (water hose), but it's not as bad as it sounds. February is the only really tough month.

The biggest hassle is cleaning up. I usually wash everything in my driveway. During the winter I have to schelp it all into my basement to clean it.

I usually stick to single batch brew-days to keep it simple. I enjoy it. It gives me something fun to do during the cold months. Try it once and see how you like it. Get a few friends, a couple of beers in your gullet, grill up some hamburgers and sausages and you don't even notice the cold.

Of course, I might be an exception. This is me grilling last New Years Eve. It was like 5F. I think I've adapted to Buffalo weather pretty well, even though I'm not from here. :D

2013-12-31 19.44.34.jpg

Electric brewing indoors is the future. You can make a very advanced automated system with bells and whistles, or install a 4500w element in your 20 gal kettle and brew 10 gal batches indoors.

Be safe w GFI and proper switching.

E brewing can be very simple or as sophisticated as you desire.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

On top of being a safer indoor brewing option I believe that electric can be more precise in terms of temp control and a lower cost option than propane. Trying to vent a propane fired system from an indoor location requires far more CFM than venting an electric system. I started with propane and am now all electric. I can't see ever changing back.

The brewing is not that bad in the cold. It's tougher to maintain mash temperatures, and occasionally my hose will freeze up (water hose), but it's not as bad as it sounds. February is the only really tough month.

The biggest hassle is cleaning up. I usually wash everything in my driveway. During the winter I have to schelp it all into my basement to clean it.

I usually stick to single batch brew-days to keep it simple. I enjoy it. It gives me something fun to do during the cold months. Try it once and see how you like it. Get a few friends, a couple of beers in your gullet, grill up some hamburgers and sausages and you don't even notice the cold.

Of course, I might be an exception. This is me grilling last New Years Eve. It was like 5F. I think I've adapted to Buffalo weather pretty well, even though I'm not from here. :D

What's with the hood pulled up? Wasn't even below zero.

Electric brewing rocks, faster, cheaper to use, safer indoors. I watch Netflix when I brew. A little light come on at 205* telling me the boil is about to happen. Go to the electric forum and start reading. I'm in the same boat, it's going to be a long cold winter that will have zero impact on my brewing. Unless the power goes out.

I stockpile beer sept-nov. Great time of year to brew. I'd suggest getting extra bottles and kegs and make some extra batches.

I live in MN and went electric for the same reason you mentioned. I'd recommend going electric if you have the money to spend, but hang on to your burner and cooler mash tun for those nice summer and autumn days!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

A man after my own heart. Not only grilling in that weather but in shorts. I wear shorts year round when I'm not at work or a wedding it seems.

Back