BerlinerWeisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddegg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did an all grain BW in August. Added a mixed yeast with Brett. Taste has developed, and I am happy with the amount of sour now after 5 months in a primary bucket. What do I do about calculating amount of sugar and yeast to bottle ferment to 3 Vol CO2?

AND... going to submit for competition, is 12oz bottle OK for 3vol CO2 desired with said calculation.

Going to bottle the rest in Belgian bottles with corks to keep it out of my keg lines and bottler lines.

All help appreciated.

So what's the gravity reading? I'd only bottle if the gravity is stable and around 1.005.

If it is, you can put 4-4.5oz of priming sugar in 5 gal and that should get you to where you want to be.

I did an all grain BW in August. Added a mixed yeast with Brett. Taste has developed, and I am happy with the amount of sour now after 5 months in a primary bucket. What do I do about calculating amount of sugar and yeast to bottle ferment to 3 Vol CO2?

AND... going to submit for competition, is 12oz bottle OK for 3vol CO2 desired with said calculation.

Going to bottle the rest in Belgian bottles with corks to keep it out of my keg lines and bottler lines.

All help appreciated.

Carbonation is the same as with other beers, just entering 3 vol CO2 in your carbonation calculator for amount of priming sugar. It may not need additional bottling yeast, but adding some wine yeast would ensure no issues. 3 vol may be a little high for typical 12oz bottles, but doable. If you have any doubts, though, use heavier bottles. For example, 500ml German weiss bier bottles are thicker and stronger.
One thing to be certain of, though, is that it has indeed finished fermentation and the gravity isn't dropping any more. Add more drying out to high carbonation and you could have some serious gushers or grenades.

Thanks for the replies (quickly)

Beer has been sitting for 5+ months. It's at 1.002 now, and I think the yeast is probably gone. Therefore, the need for yeast AND sugar.

I usually keg and bottle or keg alone. It's been a long time since I bottled a batch, but wanted to keep the Brett out of my lines with this. Competition requires 12oz bottles. BW is pretty dependent on 3Vol CO2 to be "authentic" (as far as I know), hence my question about the 12oz bottles. I guess I can bottle several and see what happens to the ones I keep at home, and possibly have some replacements ready to ship if I get THAT call.

Regular bottles are OK for 3 volumes. Most are OK for 6 or more. It is that they are only designed for about 3 volumes min.

I've had them survive at something like 9. Of a batch of 65 bottles, only 1 blew. I had primed to 3 volumes. After I had one blow, the rest went straight into the fridge. I checked the gravity of one; I bottled at 1.016 (it was a stout), but when I checked it, it was down at 1.009. I think I calculated it to be about 9 volumes including the initial priming.

That is the only blown bottle I have had in the 4 years since I got back into brewing.

Back