Berliner Weisse WLP630 advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdooley

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me how long I need to leave this beer for the souring to occur and what temperature range to keep it at. It has finished the primary fermentation (went like mad for a couple of days) and now, I am not sure what to do.
cheers

Did you already ferment with sacc before souring? I believe typical BWs are made by kettle/mash souring before sacc fermentation. Probably going to need some more info on the process you used/are using.

Kettle/Mash souring detail:
Temp range depends on the strain of lactobacillus is being used. Check this out for an overview.
The lower the pH drops, the more sour it'll get. In general, if you maintain the temps for the specific strain you're using, if you don't feel like monitoring pH, you could let the kettle/mash souring go for 2-3 days and get a pretty good souring before you follow up with a sacc ferment.

Side note: Lacto performance also depends on hop levels (IBUs)

hi - this is a question about WLP630 and how long I need to let it sit after using this only to ferment it. I am hoping that someone might have experience with this blend who can tell me. thanks

White Labs' site says 68-72°F is optimal.

What was your estimated IBU for the batch? The higher the IBU, the longer you'll have to wait for desired sourness, as lactic acid production is retarded by (fresh) hop usage.

it was very low only 4.14 IBUs from a Halletauer addition. Should I transfer to a secondary now and wait a couple of months?

Found a few things.

This one is a bit lengthy, bear with it. It describes a guy who's trying to bring BW back to the mixed fermentation process it traditionally was. Towards the bottom of page two it mentions it will take about 3 months before a mixed pitch BW "tastes any good".

Another one.

I know those include instances with brett thrown in the mix, but I think all in all, with a pitch of blend, i would leave it in the primary to allow everything to work its magic. White Labs page even states "several months".

that's great - sounds like about 2 -3 months - around christmas - which is nice and timely.

Back