Berliner Weisse WHEAT BOMB??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeitgeistler

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here. I am a new brewer who loves sour beers - did a few extract IPAs and pales, and then wanted to get into BIAB all grain. I researched and read a bunch of recipes, souring methods and processes for brewing a Berliner. Anyway - I won't bore you with the details, but I had a question for those who have experience with this style. I bottle condition in bombers and couldnt wait to sample my latest experiment. I cracked one open after 1 week in the bottle (I know, waaaay too early) just to see how it was coming along. It was tart, crisp, and delicious with no off-flavors that I could perceive, but it is an utter wheat bomb on the nose. Not in a bad way, just a very grainy, wheaty, almost cereal-like (think Cheerios) aroma. Will this diminish in time in the bottle? I've sampled a number of berliners from craft brewers and can't recall encountering this level of wheatiness. Again, its not bad (from my perspective, at least), just wondering if you guys have experienced this as well.

Vitals:
50% German Pils
50% White Wheat

No hops, no brett.

Lacto starter from probiotics - low gravity DME fermented until pH 3.7

Mashed at 150 for 60 min. Boiled for 15 min, Cooled to 110, pitched starter, kept around 100 for 3 days and took serial pH readings until 3.7

OG 1.031

Boiled for 10 min to kill lacto, cooled, and pitched WY1007 German Ale. 5 day fermentation to FG 1.008

Back