Belma SMaSH Flowsheet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewth1

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm getting ready for my first brew and was wondering if this flowsheet / log looked good, or if there were any big steps I am missing. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks!
Drewth

Attachments

• belma blonde.pdf
    101.4 KB · Views: 68
Lol yeah the template is easy to edit. I'll be printing them out and filing them in a binder as I go along, all changes added each time.

Here are a few comments on the flowsheet.
1. Strike temp must always be calculated based on the intended mash temp, the weight and temperature of the grain, and the volume of water used.
2. Mash time of 60 is fine but may not be necessary. I only mash for 30 because my grains are milled so fine that conversion is done in much less than that.
3. Yeast pitch temp seems too high. I pitch my yeast (different varieties) at 55 to 62F and let the beer warm to the fermentation temperature I want. It takes a little longer for the yeast to take off but I avoid any possible fusel alcohol or excess esters.
4. Mash in: Stir the grain in as fast as you can. I prefer to use a wire whisk to break up dough balls. There is no need to be slow about it.
5. Skip mash out. If your starches aren't already fully converted your grains are milled too coarsely.
6. Squeeze bag first, then sparge, then squeeze again. You want all the high gravity wort out that you can before sparging so you collect the most sugars. Sparge until you get the proper preboil gravity. (I often collect too much, giving me more beer than expected. Oh darn.)
7. Cool in tap water first to avoid running out of ice before you reach pitching temp then use ice water to chill the rest of the way.
8. Clean all bottles and equipment first, then boil the (calculated amount of) sugar for priming, You don't need to cool this mixture before adding to the bottling bucket, just start the siphon and carefully pour the mixture into the swirling beer. You will have so much beer that it will cool the sugar mixture quickly.

1. I used the BIAB calculator online and it figured 157 for the 3 gals of water to get to 152 when 4.5# of grain is added.
2. Idk well see if they're ground fine enough. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
3. I was planning on pitching kinda warm since the kveik doesn't mind the heat, and it would be quicker living in a swamp.
4 -6. solid, will edit that. honestly not sure what PB grav to look for since I'm just trying to figure out my efficiency
7. That's a fair point, I guess I could continually move Florida tap water around to pull off as much heat as possible before icing.
8. sure, I was aiming for 2.5 volumes of co2 using 2.5 oz of dextrose. I didn't know if it made a difference since I'm using a small fast ferment

Back