American IPA Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked this question over the weekend in this thread, but I'll post it here too.

I am brewing this on Saturday. 5 Gallons extract version. I made a starter using the dregs of several bottles of Bell's. I'm planning on stepping it up tonight and again on Thursday based on advice mtnagel gave me. I also got a packet of Safale 05 for safety in case I can't get my cell counts up by the weekend.

So if I pitch the Bell's yeast and the S05, what do people think the flavor profile will be? Will I at lest impart some of the Bells' character? So far everyone I've talked to seem to think it might turn out really well.

Also....what is an ideal temperature range to try to ferment this yeast at. I don't want it to poop out too cool or get off flavors with too high a fermentation. I don't have great temperature control

When I don't have Bells yeast I use US04. I think 05 will dry it out a little too much.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

The S04 was one of my highest attenuating yeasts when I did side by side fermentations. I'd be careful with that one too b

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Video Tour of Bell's Brewery shows fermentation temperature of Two-Hearted ale at 76 degrees Farenheit at 7:11 I imagine fermentation temperature on the homebrew scale should be slightly lower than what they use at the commercial scale with such large fermentation vessels.

bellstemps.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It could also just be the end of fermentation to clean up byproducts and get full attenuation. This is not an uncommon practice in commercial and homebrewers settings alike.

Based on the screenshot I posted, it looks like the schedule is listing the general fermentation temperatures, and not just the cleanup temperature. You will see that they list the temperatures for a number of their beers.

"Fermentation Temperature Settings"

HHNF [Hell Hath No Fury] 74F
Two Hearted Ale 76F
Winter White 74F
Ales 72F
Lagers 48-50F

"Turn Down Temperatures"
60F
50F
35F

Based on the screenshot I posted, it looks like the schedule is listing the general fermentation temperatures, and not just the cleanup temperature. You will see that they list the temperatures for a number of their beers.

"Fermentation Temperature Settings"

HHNF [Hell Hath No Fury] 74F
Two Hearted Ale 76F
Winter White 74F
Ales 72F
Lagers 48-50F

"Turn Down Temperatures"
60F
50F
35F

So has anyone fermented thier THA clone at 76 and what was the results.

Forgive me If this was posted before, but I have not seen it.

I just quickly searched the thread and it doesn't appear anyone has fermented as high as 76, nor would I recommend it. I am simply conveying the information seen from Bell's records. I think the important thing to take away from this is that they fermented their "Two Hearted" almost 4 degrees above their regular "Ales". Based on the Zymurgy article from Bell's Homebrew Store which says pitch at 64F and ferment at "warm ale temperatures", I would not ferment a Two Hearted Ale clone above 70 (72 max) using 1056, 1272, or cultured Bells yeast.

If they are really fermenting that high, this may be a super yeast. Tolerant of slightly higher temps without yeast phenols. It could be a great year for homebrewers with temperature fluctuations. Even though our temps will read lower than that, it could be worth exploring. Maybe it's time to buy some bells beer and harvest off of the bottle...

Have to remember that the pressure created in a multi-barrel fermenter supresses esters and byproducts that allow them to get away with warmer, quicker ferments than anything we are going to get on a home scale. Would be an interesting future project though to do one in mid-60s vs 70-72 and observe the differences. I have always done this at low end, but with US-05, like 62-63.

Thanks...for the advice on Temps. Hoping I can get enough Bells yeast cells by Saturday.

Based on what I've seen, I will probably try to ferment around 62 -65.

My bro is sending me a six pack, hope I like it. And if I do, my plan is to brew a 5 gallon batch using my first washed yeast (White Labs California ale). I used this yeast on the American IPA in the recipe section and it tuned out very tasty. What say you on this yeast?

without reading back through all 106 pages of this thread... Can anyone tell me if the general consensus is that the original recipe on this thread is the go to? I know there are variants but its been a while since I've brewed this recipe.

without reading back through all 106 pages of this thread... Can anyone tell me if the general consensus is that the original recipe on this thread is the go to? I know there are variants but its been a while since I've brewed this recipe.

It's probably not 5 star thread on the brew for nothin'....:mug:

I'm currently in day 9 of fermentation on an extract version of this. A few minor changes to accomodate that method. I spent alot of time trying to research the beer and ask questions. From what I've gathered, when I get to all grain, I don't think I'll deviate much from this orginial recipe.

Just gotta say, this recipe rocks!! Me and the wife got into IPA's last year and tried about 10-15 different Microbrews. This blows them all away. It has a very distinctive flavor, probably due to the All Centennial hops. I used Nottingham Ale yeast and got wicked attenuation (went from 1.070 to 1.004 in 5 days) however next batch I'm gonna use another yeast. If you like IPA's make this, it rocks.

Just gotta say, this recipe rocks!! Me and the wife got into IPA's last year and tried about 10-15 different Microbrews. This blows them all away. It has a very distinctive flavor, probably due to the All Centennial hops. I used Nottingham Ale yeast and got wicked attenuation (went from 1.070 to 1.004 in 5 days) however next batch I'm gonna use another yeast. If you like IPA's make this, it rocks.

Extract our all grain? You really shouldn't be getting that kind of attenuation with any yeast. That's great

Extract our all grain? You really shouldn't be getting that kind of attenuation with any yeast. That's great

I haven't done this beer in a while but last beer I made (DIPA) went from 1.079 to 1.011 wih Notty mashing at 150.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I haven't done this beer in a while but last beer I made (DIPA) went from 1.079 to 1.011 wih Notty mashing at 150.

That's a great attenuation on Notty regardless of mash temp. If I were you I would make sure my thermometer was calibrated properly. If it's good, just remember to mash a few degrees higher than everyone else recommends when you are trying to duplicate someone's recipe. I will say I had the same problem before getting my digital thermometer and found I was actually mashing in the 145 range when I meant to be at about 150.

That's a great attenuation on Notty regardless of mash temp. If I were you I would make sure my thermometer was calibrated properly. If it's good, just remember to mash a few degrees higher than everyone else recommends when you are trying to duplicate someone's recipe. I will say I had the same problem before getting my digital thermometer and found I was actually mashing in the 145 range when I meant to be at about 150.

Thermometer is good but was having that exact problem before, low OG and FG along with thin tasting beers were my red flag. Notty has always been a beast for me, use S05 more now for less attenuative beers. I hate thin beer, especially in the winter.

I bottled a mini batch of this yesterday. Smelled and tasted great. Excited to crack one open. Should be ready to go for march madness.

I brewed this yesterday(BIAB), I increased the 2-Row to 11#'s. I also added a pound of flaked barley as I add this to all my beers to add to the body. OG was 1.064 too. Sprinkled the US-04 on top ,then oxygenated my wort with my new tool. 10 hours later, activity in the airlock. I did scan through some of the posts and it seems a lot of you do not wait the 4 weeks before dry hopping. I'll take a reading in two weeks and see where she is. I think I'll use the ounce of Centennial I have left, for dry hopping. Brewed this without ever tasting the commercial beer. Interesting?

24Z455_AS01.jpg

I just put together a recipe VERY close to this. It was inadvertent, but from what I've read on this thread, it should come out crazy tasty! I substituted the .5 pounds of crystal for .5 pounds of Honey Malt, and instead of using all centennial, I did a 1:3 - chinook:centennial mix.

Bell's Two Hearted is my favorite beer, and I've gotten a lot of joy out of this thread :)

Brewing this recipe today and hoping to pitch YG001's Conan strain. A buddy of mine harvested it in August and it's been on my stir plate for 12 hours. Since it was 8 months old- need an opinion if it's even worth pitching?

Not a ton of activity as you can see in the picture, but my starters have always been overly active so I'm worried. I've got some S05 as back-up, but....any opinions are most appreciated. CheersImageUploadedByHome Brew1395505346.922141.jpg

FG stopped @ 1.014, tossed in .6oz Centennial for dry hop. What is the minimum time recommended for dry hop? I would like to cold crash this too for a couple of days. It should be ok to cold crash as I dry hop, this starting on Thursday so I can bottle Sunday?

3-5 days on dryhop is pretty standard. Over 4-5 days and you can extract some harsher compounds from the hops. Temp doesn't matter for dryhops so cold crash away.

FG stopped @ 1.014, tossed in .6oz Centennial for dry hop. What is the minimum time recommended for dry hop? I would like to cold crash this too for a couple of days. It should be ok to cold crash as I dry hop, this starting on Thursday so I can bottle Sunday?

A FG of 1.014 seems a little high. I might be off base on this one, but shouldn't it be a little closer to 1.010? I've bottled at similar gravities, and had gushers 2 months later because the yeast wasn't quite done feasting.

Back