Bell's Light Hearted Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the Two Hearted Ale AG kit from Bell's store and after 4 weeks compared to the commercial beer. Quite a different taste, it's not bad, just different. I liked the kit beer but I wouldn't call it a clone.

I tried the Two Hearted Ale AG kit from Bell's store and after 4 weeks compared to the commercial beer. Quite a different taste, it's not bad, just different. I liked the kit beer but I wouldn't call it a clone.
What did you use for water additions? IIRC, the Two Hearted instructions include the Kalamazoo city water report (not to be confused with the water additions that they might use).

Giving this topic a "bump" as I like the original (but haven't tried brewing the "clone" recipes).

The CB&B recipe (link) appears to require a subscription. There's also a recipe at Bells General Store (link).

The CB&B podcast 139 features Andy Farrell from Bells and has the recipe in it.

has the recipe in it.
Sort of. I skimmed-listened and didn't get an explicit recipe (@BrewnWKopperKat had a good link), but it did have good discussion on the evolution of the creation/recipe. The recipe highlights I pulled out (corroborated by the previously referenced recipe):
  • Hop schedule led by Centennial, but there is also Galaxy present
  • 20% of alpha acids go in the kettle, while the rest is whirlpool additions
  • Base is a mix of low colored 2-row and Pale Ale malt (american, assuming something like Briess' Pale Ale malt)
  • ultimately includes some C40 malt after attempts to use munich to bolster the malt backbone didn't take

Last edited:
What did you use for water additions? IIRC, the Two Hearted instructions include the Kalamazoo city water report (not to be confused with the water additions that they might use).
I don't follow the city water reports because most brewers modify the water anyway. I used a 50-50 mix of filtered tap water and RO. To that I added 3.5mg Gypsum,3.1mg Epsom Salt, 2.5mg Calcium Chloride and 3.2 grams Citric Acid. All grains and hops supplied by Bell's in their kit. I used Imperial Bell's House Yeast A62

Sort of. I skimmed-listened and didn't get an explicit recipe (@BrewnWKopperKat had a good link), but it did have good discussion on the evolution of the creation/recipe. The recipe highlights I pulled out (corroborated by the previously referenced recipe):
  • Hop schedule led by Centennial, but there is also Galaxy present
  • 20% of alpha acids go in the kettle, while the rest is whirlpool additions
  • Base is a mix of low colored 2-row and Pale Ale malt (american, assuming something like Briess' Pale Ale malt)
  • ultimately includes some C40 malt after attempts to use munich to bolster the malt backbone didn't take

I must have mis-remembered the Podcast. Here is a recipe I got for it based on this and possibly the subscriber only CB&B article. I can't remember the source, but I believe it was on another thread on the forum. I brew 3 gallon batches, so I provided the % and oz/gal for scaling.

Grain Bill - Target OG of 1.037
  • American 2-Row - 74.3%
  • American Pale Ale Malt - 17.2%
  • Munich Dark - 5.7%
  • Caramel 40 - 2.8%
Hop Schedule - Target IBU of 35
  • 45 min - Centennial 9.2% - 0.1oz/gal (16.7 IBU)
  • Hopstand - 25 min - Centennial 9.2% - 0.4oz/gal (17.9 IBU @ 185F)
  • Dry Hop (Day 4)
    • Centennial - 0.36oz/gal
    • Galaxy - 0.16oz/gal
Mash @ 154F for 60 minutes, ferment with American Ale yeast @ 71F, carbonate to 2.4 volumes of CO2.

I too am curious if anyone else has brewed this. I recently brewed the regular Two Hearted ale and it was fantastic.
I can’t compare to the original as we don’t get Bell’s where I live. I also used Lutra Kveik yeast. It was however one of my better APA/IPAs and will be part of my regular rotation.

It was a bit dangerous being so easy to drink and higher in abv so that’s why I’m so curious about this beer.

Here is a recipe I got for it based on this and possibly the subscriber only CB&B article.
And here is from Bell's website: (for 5gal)

1613508892339.png

TennBrewer, can you give us a sense of how the beer came out "different?" I'm sure that with a bit of tinkering, perhaps we can get closer.

It seemed that the original beer was somewhat drier than the kit. This could be attributed to the fermentation profile or less likely in the mash. For one thing, I have an eBIAB system so there was no sparging. My OG came out at 1.053, 10 points lower than spec at 1.063 and FG 1.012 where mine finished at 1.011.

Back