Bell's Hop Slam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont remember where I found the recipe I tried two weeks back -- I'll see if I can dig up the source.

I had one of those hell brew days with that batch too -- had a stuck mash, first in a year (was out of hulls) -- my screen slipped off my kettle tube and I clogged my plate chiller with hop leaves. I dropped my March pump when pulling off one of the disconnects to attempt to reverse the chiller flow and free up clog.

Anyway -- my hopes are not to high on that batch and it was probably at least $20 worth of hops. It's just starting to fall clear now and I've got a two week dry hop schedule coming up.

Ended up with 4.5 gallons and a final OG of 1.081 so it's not going to be quite as hot as hopslam.

Here was the recipe. It omits honey and the original from the source had the IBU's way up in the 100+ range. Based on how I've tasted it I didn't think this was nearly as accurate so I dropped the initial two hoppings by 1/2 to put it in the 60 range. While I don't think this is anywhere near dead on it sounded interesting enough to try.

6# 6-row base
4# 2-row base
2# Munich
1# Aromatic
8oz Carapils (Dexterine)
3 lbs Corn Sugar

1oz Chinook 75 min
1oz Hallertauer 60 min
1oz Cascade 20 min
1oz Centennial 15 min
1oz Goldings 10 min
1oz Goldings 1 min