Belgium Wit Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
I'm intrigued to do an all grain Belgium Wit but as I surf around the variety I'm finding for recipes is astounding. Anyone here have a recipe that you've done that your proud of? This'll be my 2nd official AG.

I've never done an AG wit, but I have recipes for both Hoegaarden and Celis. I can post one, if you like.

I brewed an extract wit....the results were less than spectacular.

Sam75 said:
I've never done an AG wit, but I have recipes for both Hoegaarden and Celis. I can post one, if you like.

I brewed an extract wit....the results were less than spectacular.

Sure, I'd appreciate it. I saw your extract one... Unless others chime in and state "difficult/only for experts" I guess I'd still like to take a stab at it.

Sam75 said:
Sure, which would you prefer?

Doh! - Both? I'd be interested in the different ingedients of each. Only if its a cut/paste for ya. (Or is in ProMash recipe files). If the old fashion way (type), Celis. Thanks much.

not sure if you can attach promash files so if you can't private me and I'll give you my email address. I'd give a QC report on the final product!

desertBrew said:
Unless others chime in and state "difficult/only for experts" I guess I'd still like to take a stab at it.

I'm by no means an expert, but it's been my experience that any time you mash with wheat it is always difficult. Even when using Rice Hulls, wheat is quick to scorch and is very sticky which can cause stuck sparges. Of course this also depends on your equipment and method of sparging as well. Best of luck.

Shorty...

BeerMeShorty said:
I'm by no means an expert, but it's been my experience that any time you mash with wheat it is always difficult. Even when using Rice Hulls, wheat is quick to scorch and is very sticky which can cause stuck sparges. Of course this also depends on your equipment and method of sparging as well. Best of luck.

Shorty...

Yea, that's what I hear as well. Considering I love Hefe's I'm going to have to figure that out. Haven't tried to AG one yet but it's my next attempt. I've read that you should not skip a Mash Out at 170 to heat it up when doing wheats before the sparge.

Back