Quantcast

Belgium Wit Recipe

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
6,024
Reaction score
152
Location
Twin Cities, MN
I'm intrigued to do an all grain Belgium Wit but as I surf around the variety I'm finding for recipes is astounding. Anyone here have a recipe that you've done that your proud of? This'll be my 2nd official AG.
 

SwAMi75

Banned
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
2,458
Reaction score
10
Location
Midwest City, OK
I've never done an AG wit, but I have recipes for both Hoegaarden and Celis. I can post one, if you like.

I brewed an extract wit....the results were less than spectacular.
 
OP
DesertBrew
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
6,024
Reaction score
152
Location
Twin Cities, MN
Sam75 said:
I've never done an AG wit, but I have recipes for both Hoegaarden and Celis. I can post one, if you like.

I brewed an extract wit....the results were less than spectacular.
Sure, I'd appreciate it. I saw your extract one... Unless others chime in and state "difficult/only for experts" I guess I'd still like to take a stab at it.
 
OP
DesertBrew
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
6,024
Reaction score
152
Location
Twin Cities, MN
Sam75 said:
Sure, which would you prefer?
Doh! - Both? I'd be interested in the different ingedients of each. Only if its a cut/paste for ya. (Or is in ProMash recipe files). If the old fashion way (type), Celis. Thanks much.

not sure if you can attach promash files so if you can't private me and I'll give you my email address. I'd give a QC report on the final product!
 

BeerMeShorty

New Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Cincinnati, OH
desertBrew said:
Unless others chime in and state "difficult/only for experts" I guess I'd still like to take a stab at it.
I'm by no means an expert, but it's been my experience that any time you mash with wheat it is always difficult. Even when using Rice Hulls, wheat is quick to scorch and is very sticky which can cause stuck sparges. Of course this also depends on your equipment and method of sparging as well. Best of luck.

Shorty...
 
OP
DesertBrew
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
6,024
Reaction score
152
Location
Twin Cities, MN
BeerMeShorty said:
I'm by no means an expert, but it's been my experience that any time you mash with wheat it is always difficult. Even when using Rice Hulls, wheat is quick to scorch and is very sticky which can cause stuck sparges. Of course this also depends on your equipment and method of sparging as well. Best of luck.

Shorty...
Yea, that's what I hear as well. Considering I love Hefe's I'm going to have to figure that out. Haven't tried to AG one yet but it's my next attempt. I've read that you should not skip a Mash Out at 170 to heat it up when doing wheats before the sparge.
 
Top