Belgians and Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bondra76

Reaction score
This may be a rhetorical question but do you guys find that holding constant temps on Belgians is absolutely necessary?

I have a fermentation vessel that I use (controlled water bath, can dial in to temp within +/- 1 degree, etc etc etc....)

I just moved into a new house and I don't have my setup really in "working condition" yet. But my house is at a constant 68-70 degrees right now.

Would I be ok brewing a Belgium without the fermentation temp technology? I can understand Scottish ales, lagers, etc but Belgians are pretty much room temperature anyhow?

If you are not interested in repeatability or looking for particular flavors then let them go at room temp. Some belgian yeasts produce different flavors at different temps, so I would check to see if there is information on how your yeast performs at different temps. Also some belgian yeast can get pretty vigorous so the temp might rise more than you want.

Thanks. Need some beers on tap quick so I may just go with the room temp sloppy setup. Good call on the increase in temp due to firm though. I guess if it ferments hot and temp goes up to 75 or 77 I can live with that. Wife loves fruity and banana anyhow.

I got 4 taps and one keg about 1/4 full on serve. I'm gonna go Belgium.

68-70 ambient is not too bad for a Belgian. Just cool the wort to about 64. Some Belgian yeasts really can heat up if they start too warm. The higher the OG the more it will want to really heat up. If you cool the wort and maybe cover the fermenter with a wet t shirt or towel for a day or two to slow the temp rise you should be good. After a day or two just let it free rise. Just try to keep it from getting to warm too fast. Then as fermentation slows you can cover the fermenter to keep the temp from dropping.

Back