Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
I have my beer in a secondary the SG has not changed in four days. The question I have is this it's my understanding that the beer is "supposed" to be cloudy but it's clearing in the secondary. 1/2 the carboy is fairly clear. Should I keg it or let is sit until all the sediment has settled? I'll see if I can post a pic tonight if anyone is interested.

It's difficult to brew a Witbier using extract-only methods, since unmalted grains that need to be mashed are a big part of its somewhat tangy flavor profile. This might also explain why your beer is clearing - absence of excess protein those grains contribute.

One thing you can do to keep is cloudy is to add a tablespoon or so of flour to the fermenter, which will cause a starch haze that drops out quite slowly. Or agitate the fermenter gently prior to bottling to stir up some yeast. Then just flip the bottles upside down a couple of times a few hours prior to serving, and it should be plenty cloudy.

It's difficult to brew a Witbier using extract-only methods, since unmalted grains that need to be mashed are a big part of its somewhat tangy flavor profile. This might also explain why your beer is clearing - absence of excess protein those grains contribute.

One thing you can do to keep is cloudy is to add a tablespoon or so of flour to the fermenter, which will cause a starch haze that drops out quite slowly. Or agitate the fermenter gently prior to bottling to stir up some yeast. Then just flip the bottles upside down a couple of times a few hours prior to serving, and it should be plenty cloudy.

It was a mini mash. I'm going to keg it tonight.

Don't secondary your Witbiers and there will be plenty of cloudiness. I primary for 14 days and then straight to the bottle (I don't keg), even after 3 weeks of conditioning they are still very nice and cloudy.

If I'm not mistaken you can also add flaked oats to your steeping grains for some extra haze.

Back