Belgian Wit / Hoegaarden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiskeyR

Reaction score
This weekend I will be starting my second ever brew (extract with speacilty grains) and I'm wanting to do a Belgian White. I'm an absolute beginner at this as I've just bottled my first batch (Amber Ale), but things seem to be going pretty well.

I'll be using the kit from my LHBS, the recipe is here.

I'm really wanting to come out with something like Hoegaarden instead of of Blue Moon, which is too fruity for my tastes. Should I back off the coriander and orange peel some?

What other suggestions would you have that a noob doing an extract brew could accomplish, to come out with a good Wit?

Use White Labs Belgian Wit or Wyeast #3944, #3942, and ferment it at 60-62 degrees.

I'm not in favor of messing w/ a kit recipe if you're a n00b [after all, you bought it!], unless you have brewed it before.

Coriander is for the traditional spice of a wit. don't change that!
Dried bitter orange peel... is bitter. don't change that either.
It is the ratios between these two traditional spices that is important.

and ignore this part
"8. FERMENTATION: Double Stage /// FERMENTATION: Single Stage ..."

let it sit for 2-3 weeks, take a gravity reading and then bottle/keg if it is at the same FG for two or three days.

Thanks. I Intended to do an extended primary fermentation as is usually recommended here.

Why the change in yeast from the recipe?

Also, with a 6 gallon bucket can I get away with using an airlock instead of a blow off tube?

I am a bit confused by a few statements that the directions made:

1) The double stage section - "rack into secondary and then top up with water."
-> I have never heard this one, granted I've only been brewign for a few years, but
never run across this in any of my research. I would also worry about
contamination (it doesn't say anything about using boiled water). Also, this will
negate the specific gravity readings (prior to this) as it will dilute the end product.

2) They say to put the boil kettle in cold water for a half hour and then continue with
recipe.
-> I have never heard this before either. You want to go off the temp, not the time.
If the temp is too hot after a half hour, you could kill the yeast. I would make sure
that the temp is down around 85 or so before pitching.

3) They didn't mention anything about aeration. Remember to aerate, this is extremely
important.

Gotta run, someone coming in to use the PC :)

Good luck!!

The blow-off tube vs the airlock question depends on the circumstances, you'd just need to keep an eye on it. I had an extract stout, a 3 gallon batch in a 6 gallon plastic ferm bucket, and the thing started foaming out the airlock. Thank god it didn't clog it! I sanitized a big spoon and removed the foam, 4 hours later it was right back in the airlock again - this is with 3 gallons of head space! Since that incident and another, I decided to go with blow-off tubes for atleast the initial few days when things are crazy in there. Then i cut over to an airlock so I can gauge activity a little better.

Just my 2 cents :)

I would go with the blow off personally. I have made Belgians before and seemed to have bad luck with airlocks (they always seem to be overwhelmed in the first few days). If the instructions say to top up with water always use boiled water and then cool it if needed. The boiling process is very important for keeping out the nasties and getting rid of some of the chlorine that can be in tap water (if thats what you are using).

One thing that I have done in the past is use an American Ale yeast (fermented at 63 deg) with my belgian recipies and I have had good results. Its really just a matter of personal taste.

If the instructions say to top up with water always use boiled water and then cool it if needed. The boiling process is very important for keeping out the nasties and getting rid of some of the chlorine that can be in tap water (if thats what you are using).

The boiling process will also drive off the oxygen, which is unwanted in the secondary.

I am still not sure as to why you would top off in the secondary though. That just makes me think that the recipe wasn't properly designed to end up with 5 gallons (or whatever). When I do my batches I shoot for 5.5 gallons in the primary. This way when I rack into the secondary , the loss to trub doesn't put me under 5 gallons.

I'll have to look around and see if I missed something with that.

I didn't change the yeast recommendation from the kit. I cut/pasted it from the webpage you gave. I was trying to emphasize those yeast vs. the dry crappy ones they also listed.

Yes you will absolutely need a blow off tube for belgian yeasts for a 6gal fermenter -- unless you are doing a 2.5 G batch!
In fact, I always use a blowoff on ALL beers until active fermentation subsides [as mentioned above]. It is the same work as sanitizing the airlock and a lot less clean up time if (when) the yeast explode.
Check around here for pics of the messes made by active yeast fermentation & related ceiling, wall, floor clean up.

Back