Belgian wit fast fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amh61

Reaction score
Last Wednesday I brewed a Belgian Wit and used Wyeast 3944. I had heard this was a pretty vigorous yeast so I rigged up a blowoff tube just in case things got out of control. I started it at 66 degrees for a few days and had some light activity and then moved the fermentor from my basement to a bedroom closet to get the temperature closer to 71 degrees. I had some activity in the blowoff tube until Saturday, but nothing as vigorous as I was expecting. Since then there has been no sign of any further fermentation. The beer still has a thick kraussen on the top and the smell coming from the blowoff tube sanitized solution container smells like a delicious wit beer, so I feel like something is going right.

I'm concerned fermentation may have stalled. Should I be concerned. I haven't taken a gravity reading yet because it is early and I don't really want to disturb the beer if I shouldn't be worrying. But could this be a stalled fermentation. I also didn't use a starter for this beer, but the OG was 1.041.

I wouldn't be worried. A lot of fermentation goes on even after the most visible parts have finished up. A good majority of fermentation happens in the first few days. After that it's slow and steady wins the race.

I brewed a hefeweizein and it did almost the same exact thing as your wit. Its not stalled fermentation. The style just ferments quick.

I brewed a wit which is in its second week in the primary. I had crazy active fermentation in the first five days and then the gravity reading ssllllloooowlllyyyy got down to the specified FG on day 10. (now on day 14)

Back