belgian wit and chamomile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopleaf

Reaction score
I took a sample of my 2-week old Belgian Wit today and it smells wonderful however the taste is all chamomile almost like tasting perfume.

I followed a recipe which called for 1 oz of chamomile at 30 min, I used .75 oz of chamomile I acquired from organic chamomile tea bags. I'm wondering if I should of just done a pinch of it at the end.

Anyone else have any experience with chamomile? I'm expecting the flavor to fade and mellow out over time but was just curious - it's quite strong as it is today.

I haven't used it but

I think you'd be better off dry hopping with the chamomile or adding it at flame out.

When you make tea you don't add it to a pot of water and boil the hell out it.

Well here's hoping it mellows. If all else fails I'll put it in a perfume vaporizer and give it to my wife.

It will mellow out a bit. My friend just made a wit with chamomile and I don't like it because of it (I just don't like chamomile) but the taste should die down.

The last wit I made I put 1/2 oz. in at flame out and it turned out really nice. Wouldn't change a thing. I probably wouldn't boil it, just like I wouldn't boil most herbs in a tea.

I'm going to jump on the wagon with the mellowing as well; especially with Belgians. They change in so many ways with time. In any case, it has been my experience with 'added flavors/aromas/etc' in any style of beer, that the added characteristics subside with a few weeks in the bottle (after carbonation - so maybe 1 - 2 months total).

So don't vaporize your beer just yet. heh heh heh.

BTW: Your wife doesn't happen to be a BREWnette now, is she? hahaha

Ahh, Sundays...

5gB

Back